Professions question

Professions question

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Garuda.5140

Garuda.5140

Hi, guys! i’ve been playing GW2 for 3 weeks, got my first character to 80 and now i have a little question about professions. Though it can sound realy stupid, here it is: what’s the use of crafting professions?
I figured out i can buy any exotic gear i want, any sigil of gem to upgrade it. So i would realy appreciate if you could point out for me some benefits crafting can give. Maybe some soulbond crafted items are better than those on BLTC, or i can earn more money on crafting useful items, or anything else, i realy dont know.
One thing i do know, i need professions to make Legendary weapon, but i don’t think i’ll get to it in any foreseeable future.
I’ll really appreciate any advice here. Thank you.

SFR Mesmer&Guardian&Necro

Professions question

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Well there are ascended items. Those are all account bound. Only weapons for now but armor will be added sometime this year.

On the other hand you don’t really need ascended items. Everything can be done with exotic(or even rares and masterwork).

At lv500 crafting you can also make the time gated items and sell to other people but it cost quite a bit to get to 500 so it would take a long time to recoup the cost if you do it just for that reason.

Professions question

Posted by: cpg.7140

cpg.7140

Crafting isn’t usually about making/saving money. If you’re good at reading the market you can end up being profitable, but for the average person it’s probably not a good reason to go there. So if all you care about is getting the weapons or armor you want, just buy it.

So you can craft for the title of master crafter and the achievements related to that, you can craft for the experience (to raise an alt, for example), you can craft because you think you’ll one day want to make a legendary, you can craft because you want ascended weapons.

Hobwash
[TAS] – The Asuran Squad
Devona’s Rest

Professions question

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I started out leveling crafting at the same time as my characters. I found that it was costing me too much money and the only thing I made in time for it to be useful was food and the bags.

I have 6 of the crafting professions leveled to 400 now and 2 that are still pretty low (less than 200). Pretty soon all will have to go up to level 500 but I’m in no hurry. The only reason I will eventually level them all is for the sake of completion. I may eventually make ascended gear but I’m not going to focus on it as it seems too much like work and I get enough work at work.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Professions question

Posted by: Garuda.5140

Garuda.5140

Thx everyone for answers!
I really haven’t thought about achievements (wich are realy tasty for me) and leveling one of the characters by means of crafting, especially if ascended items are account bound, 8 professions on one character shouldn’t be a problem.

SFR Mesmer&Guardian&Necro

Professions question

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

I advise against putting all 8 crafting disciplines on one character, on the basis that you can only have two active at any given time. It can cost up to 40 silver to activate another discipline, and you have to pay this fee every time you want to change, so if you want to avoid any heavy losses, make 4 characters and do 2 disciplines on each.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Professions question

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

I advise against putting all 8 crafting disciplines on one character, on the basis that you can only have two active at any given time. It can cost up to 40 silver to activate another discipline, and you have to pay this fee every time you want to change, so if you want to avoid any heavy losses, make 4 characters and do 2 disciplines on each.

I did the two on four characters approach myself also. It all gets down to your personal preference but I went with my warrior taking armorsmith/weaponsmith, my ranger taking leatherworking/huntsman, and my mesmer taking tailoring/cooking. That way I can remember that they are matched with the armor that they wear and weapons they use (except cooking of course). Then my necro does the artificing/jewelry because it is Asura and in my mind it fit. My choice of who took each craft was done in a way to help me remember which one did what. The reason I put two crafts on each one was to save money.

If you are the type person who will play only one character ever, then you may prefer to have all crafting professions on one main character.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!