(PvE): What's the point of being Level 80?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Benie.9312

Benie.9312

So I’ve been Level 80 for quite some time, but I just stopped playing as I feel there’s really nothing to do (PvE wise).
Sure, there’s crafting, killing high level enemies with your friends, getting in a Guild, getting Mastery, getting into WvW, and other things. But what is there for a soloer?

Now, I know the whole “why are you playing a multiplayer game if you only solo?” I play them, because they’re unlike those ‘freeplay after the main questline’ single player games. When I really have nothing to do after defeating the final boss.

Yet in Guild Wars 2, I’m feeling the same thing. All I’m doing is just waiting for the expansion. Why? I dunno. Why I’m asking.

Chars on ’Yak’s Bend’;
Beniee – Ranger – Level 80
Deathclaw Ragefist – Necromancer – Level 80

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

I can only speak for myself, but I like to try collecting as much achievements as possible. With the byproduct of earning money I’m able to save up for some legendaries.

However, it absolutely depends on your playstyle. Not everyone is a completionist like me. Maybe WvW could be your kind of thing? Definitely no solo play, but still a ton of fun.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You can try any of the following, which I find fun alone or in smaller-than-expected groups:

• Dungeons — most story mode and many explorable mode dungeons can be solo’d.
  • Fractals — many are gated, but a few can be done solo, depending on profession. (I know they can all be done with only two people.)
  • PvP — you don’t “solo” it exactly, but doesn’t require that you socialize or join a guild.
  • WvW — if you can “havok” solo, you can be a big help to your server. It’s quite challenging when opponents have a lot of people (zerged or not).
  • Achievements — most achievements can be solo’d and many are challenging (a lot are mostly bookkeeping, which not everyone enjoys).
  • Map Completion — a lot of people consider this quite challenging to do alone.
  • Iron Man — create a new character instead & try to level up to 80 without dying. (If you die, start over.) There are variations for only using found items, allowing one death per map, waiting until 80 to begin the challenge, etc.

Good luck.

edit: used “be a help to your server” in place of a kittenized phrase

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

You can try any of the following, which I find fun alone or in smaller-than-expected groups:

• Dungeons — most story mode and many explorable mode dungeons can be solo’d.
  • Fractals — many are gated, but a few can be done solo, depending on profession. (I know they can all be done with only two people.)
  • PvP — you don’t “solo” it exactly, but doesn’t require that you socialize or join a guild.
  • WvW — if you can “havok” solo, you can be a kittenet to your server. It’s quite challenging when opponents have a lot of people (zerged or not).
  • Achievements — most achievements can be solo’d and many are challenging (a lot are mostly bookkeeping, which not everyone enjoys).
  • Map Completion — a lot of people consider this quite challenging to do alone.
  • Iron Man — create a new character instead & try to level up to 80 without dying. (If you die, start over.) There are variations for only using found items, allowing one death per map, waiting until 80 to begin the challenge, etc.

Good luck.

As a PvE soloer myself, I think this is some good advice.

Caveat: I’m not level 80 yet.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

For me the advantage of being level 80 is that I can go anywhere in the world and do anything without having to worry about whether I’m the right level or not.

I’ve never been a fan of the idea that levelling up is a goal in it’s own right. It’s a way of gating content, which can be useful (e.g. not dumping a mass of confusing stats and abilities on a new player) or annoying, or a mix of both. But it’s a mechanic to work with or work around (depending on the game) not a reason for me to play. I actually prefer games like Skyrim where everything is accessible from the start and you don’t need to level up to do certain things, you can just get on with what you want to do.

As for what I’ve been doing since getting to level 80 here’s a quick list:

• Personal story
  • Living story
  • Map completion
  • World vs. World
  • Dungeons
  • Customising my weapons and armor (both stats and looks)
  • Achievements which interest me, like the jumping puzzles and exploration ones
  • Collections that interest me
  • World bosses

It may not look like much written down like that but it does take quite a bit of time. Map completion especially, the way I do it. I’d use the Points of Interest, Vistas, Hearts etc. as a guide to where I had been and where I needed to go and then actually explore, wandering the scenery, talking to all the NPCs, doing jumping puzzles, gathering materials etc. as I went. It took a lot longer but it was much more fun than simply rushing between points to ‘complete’ them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Battledoll.1803

Battledoll.1803

I think in general, all MMO is kind of open ended. It’s really up to you to decide what you want to do, and what you’d enjoy. Soloer is not excluded from any of the game mode, you can do them all (except Guild activity if you’re not in guild).