Q: Tanking?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: KilgoreTrowt.7603

KilgoreTrowt.7603

I’m new to the game from wow. I fully realize that the trinity of roles is not in this game. I’m a low level, so I haven’t seen dungeons/raids first hand, but I have an idea of how they work and I have seen some on youtube.

I’m somewhat interested in making a very supporty-tanky guardian. I was just wandering if this is at all desirable for groups, etc. When people are making groups are they just recruiting dpsers? Is a melee’er willing to support the group and stay alive on the enemy be valuable or a drawback to a group?

Thank you for any help!

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

I’m not an expert on the heavier classes, but from what I’ve seen, people tend to take turns at holding aggro. Tanking here also consists of kiting and dodging, and making effective use of stuns/slows/blinds etc to avoid/reduce damage rather than healing it. Unfortunately, I’ve run with a number of melee players who were still stuck in the old mindset, and would run headfirst into enemies over and over again, and die over and over again.

I’ve also heard that pure-DPS, glass-cannon groups go down extremely quickly in dungeons, so no, I don’t think people look for DPS alone. Any support done properly would be valuable.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

I don’t run dungeons really at the moment so I’m not sure, but speaking from personal experience of playing alongside a toughness-focused guardian, I think it’s a very handy thing to have around! I doubt you’d have trouble finding groups (especially since those who want tanks tend to favour guardians, I think).

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

i’m a Guardian here and you COULD call me dungeon-focused. trying to get the achievement/experience all the game has to offer/ tokens for legendary of vanity armor sets and weapons/ just for fun!

i play quite supportive, while survivable, while still being able to do decent amount of damage. i’d like to think that i am able to hold the team up at times. make good use of your aoe blinds as well as aoe aegis when you see big pulls coming up from a boss and can easily save the team from wiping. you have a lot of condition removal at hand, a lot of anti-range as well as shouts and boon giving. i’m excited when i see other guardians or warriors (banners, banners everywhere!) in my group!

on the other hand, am sure each server is different, but on mine, most people just call for group, without asking what you are, rather ask if you’re experienced or not. if not? then they’ll know to guide you more. and even if an exprienced group, people will still talk strategy so it sort of goes with luck if you can find a good group or not. and once you do, try to stick with ’em.

dungeons can be a really fun challenge. while at others, can be very frustrating. lol. let me know if you want to talk some builds! and you can pm me ; )))

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: dugore.2195

dugore.2195

Well I’m not a Guardian. but a Warrior that’s been running dungeons to get marks to get my exotic armors and run a hammer/support build.

I would take a support Guardian over a dps Guardian into a dungeon anyday