:Question: Goal Tracking in GW2

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Hi Guys,

I’m a vet who plays frequently in PvE and sPvP.

I’m interested in possibly getting 4 legendaries over the next year (Ad Infinitum, Twilight, Juggernaut, and Flameseeker Prophecies)

I’m also interest in getting all of the unique specialization weapons over the next year.

How do you guys track daily/weekly/monthly goals for these sorts of things?

Thanks!

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Everyday farm sw cf for about 1h ( also checks for meta event into sw which gives you different chests and more rares ).

You will get plenty of obsidian shards which you ll need, and golds/t6 mats.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

In my head.
You get the cash or items for the legendaries then go from there.
You decide which route, buy everything or buy x and sell y.
Decide which you want to do first and start there maybe.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

one last thing.
don’t you dare to Craft a precursor. Buy it. Its way better.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

one last thing.
don’t you dare to Craft a precursor. Buy it. Its way better.

Cheaper, not “better” — people I know who chose to do the precursor collections feel a lot more invested in them than they did with other weapon skins …and they had fun doing so. However, if your goal is easy and/or quick and/or less expensive, then buying off the TP is the way to go.

@OP
I use a spreadsheet to track progress. I usually try not to rush anything and instead just spend time in areas that are more likely to help, e.g. silverwastes for gold|obsidian or CoE/dungeon for charged lodes (rather than AC or Arah).

You can also use websites like GW2efficiency.com, which will show you what you have and what you need, in terms of mats. (I prefer my spreadsheet because I can add notes about where to go for acquisition. Still, the websites are excellent.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t put a timescale on my goals because I feel like I spend most my time in real life trying to meet deadlines, and because my free time is too unpredictable. If a friend randomly invites me over on the weekend I don’t want to end up stressing that the lost play-time has put me behind schedule and I need to catch up. I’d rather just play as and when I can.

I do however have lists of goals (ranging from mental lists to spreadsheets to notes on bits of paper). For me the format varies depending on what I’m tracking, but I’m quite a visual person so colour/shapes works better than pure text. I’ve put two examples below.

The first is a chart I made when I was building The Dreamer. It’s a screen shot of the full materials list from the wiki, overlaid with boxes for each item, which I filled in as I got closer to my goals (I also added numbers for some). This made it much easier to track what I had, what I needed and most importantly to see what progress I was making when I might feel like 2 hours of map completion and gathering wood hadn’t given any tangible rewards.

The second is a section of a large spreadsheet I made when I decided I wanted to play through every story instance at least once. I use it to record which ones I’ve done and how they connect so I can see what kind of character I need to complete them. I fill them in as I’ve done them and the colours relate to different characters: blue, red and purple are 3 of my permanent characters and yellow is for any temp characters made to do other instances. (Not shown are green for my norn, dark grey for my charr and soon I’ll be adding another 3 with undetermined colours.)

Other, less complicated or short-term goals are tracked much less formally. For example I just check the wardrobe to see which minis I still need to collect, and when I was making Apidae I had the parts I needed scribbled on a bit of scrap paper in front of the computer that also includes Morrowind character builds and floor plans for Sim houses. It all depends on what seems to make the most sense at the time.

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I haven’t done anything as complex as a legendary yet. But I keep a legal pad by my keyboard and when I was making Nightfury and Ascended gear I hand wrote the things I needed and crossed them out as I got them; where it was a number of things such as 250 linseed oils I kept scribbling in current amounts. Either made or needed to make, whichever made more mental sense to me at the time. I don’t set them up by time goals, just by overall acquisition needs so I don’t have to keep opening the wiki or other windows.

That pad has been slowly filling with such notes as well as lists of skins my individual alts want, rankings of BL weapon skins in order of preference, RP ideas, etc. Once a list is no longer relevant I put a long line through it.

I do keep some electronic lists as well, in Word. So I have already figured out the order of dyes I want to get from 3rd bday presents and which kits hold them, I keep a list of outfit dye schemes for each alt, I also keep my preferred builds, PS progress, number and size of bags on each, RP bdays, in game bdays, etc. That’s for reference rather than for tracking changing things, however.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

First, thanks for all the help guys! Glad everyone was so constructive

GW2efficiency.com is an INSANELY useful tool! Tells me what I have, what I need, and the cost to get it! actually makes the process seem a lot more doable and I’m not just spinning my wheels

Thank you for all the responses!

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”