[Question] - Would you pay for more content

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: CptWang.4729

CptWang.4729

So i’m just getting into GW 2. As a lot of you are. I’m loving it, the crafting, the exploring, the story. It’s great..
I had a philosophical moment today thinking about the sustainability of the game. I would love, if this could topple WoW, but the fact is, without a subscription they won’t have the funding to keep updates at a similar pace as Blizzard who seem to have infinity moneys.

My question is this.
Would you pay for minor content updates, be it end game dungeons, quest lines etc?
Would you want to keep the game living on. Or do you plan to wipe you’re hands once you’ve finished a few story lines?

Also
What other ways would the company be able to sustain their income? do you think the gem system is enough?

Posted by: Rock.7324

Rock.7324

Yes, I would pay.

Then again, I dunno when I will do everything this game has to offer so far, so it might be a waste of money…

* ’Ko leži ne beži! *
Rockbaby – Asura Guardian, Desolation EU :)
Rockavenger – Dwarf Paladin, Bronzebeard EU :D

Posted by: Mark Love.6274

Mark Love.6274

My question is this.
Would you pay for minor content updates, be it end game dungeons, quest lines etc?
Would you want to keep the game living on. Or do you plan to wipe you’re hands once you’ve finished a few story lines?

Knowing myself, I probably would, but not with pleasure. I rather buy an expansion or a new campaign that add significant amounts of content that my friends and I can experience together, instead of hoping my friends buy the same additional micro-updates.

Posted by: ProxiiG.5830

ProxiiG.5830

Tbh DLCs are not my thing, paying money for one extra instance is not that appealing and this game has lots to offer as it is atm. I am more interested in expansion type of content.

Posted by: DABhand.2079

DABhand.2079

Just need to look at the Map of Tyria, to see areas not yet used, that is a definite sign of future campaigns/expansions

Posted by: MetaData.2750

MetaData.2750

ArenaNet already said that the end-content wasn’t ready yet. However the game has just been released to relax a bit ppl!

Posted by: Astasia.1459

Astasia.1459

I’d pay for extra classes and races. I probably would not pay for quest lines or dungeons. Then again I wouldn’t actually need to pay for any of it since I could just buy the gems with gold, so maybe I would. It’s more likely though it will work like GW1 and they will release expansions.

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

Yes I would spend money for Guild Wars 2 as I did with Guild Wars 1.

GW:

• I bought every Collector’s Edition they released
  • I bought every Pre-Purchase / Pre-Order / and another term they used I can’t remember – that they sold
  • I bought content expansions (which were available online only)
  • I bought extra character slots (I think I have 23)

hmm… what else.

I’d do the same for GW2. Though just not the CE because I don’t need that Rytlock scale figure which brought the price of the CE twice as much. (I would have bought CE if not for that – not to mention, because of it, I’ll have a hard time shipping it to the Philippines, I either have to visit my cousin to pick it up or wait for them to visit us here.) So instead, I bought a DDE (Digital Deluxe Edition).

I plan on buying extra character slots too and other stuff. Buy the expansions, probably a CE if they’ll offer a “regular” CE without those scaled figures that adds too much weight to the box (w/c makes it hard to ship and more expensive to ship), you get the idea.

;)

I’m full support to the game and to ArenaNet (even though there are a rare few areas where I don’t agree with them, but that’s not enough to stop me from supporting them).

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

Posted by: Kailthir.6384

Kailthir.6384

GW 1 got me into the MMO community. What attracted me was… no subscription. I see GW 2 as the MMO that breaks the chains of subscription. A truly persistent world that proves it doesn’t need subscription to sustain itself. Shows that other MMOs are just money grubbing companies.

I hate the idea of spending 50+ bucks for a game and not being able to play it unless you continue to give them more money

It’s like buying a car. You save up and buy it outright. Then the dealership charges you every month to drive it, even tho you own it and have the title.

DABhand.2079

I hate the idea of spending 50+ bucks for a game and not being able to play it unless you continue to give them more money.

Good luck unlocking your bank slots and extra bag slot :P

Dem diamonds

Posted by: Mercutio.7201

Mercutio.7201

Yes, of course I would. I bought everything that came out for GW, and will likely do the same for GW2.

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I would rather just see an expansion, and I think they’d make more money that way.

Think about it – someone plays GW2 and has fun, but they stop playing. This isn’t hurting ANet that much because they’re not losing a subscription.

But if they enjoyed themselves, left without hard feelings, and hear about a new expansion adding more content, I can see people coming back for that in a cycle. There’s no subscription fee, so I can see people being able to rightfully approach it like buying the Skyrim expansion, for example. It’s something they enjoyed and no subscription to make them feel obligated to play or like they’re wasting money if they spend their time between different things.

It would drum up more press to have a big release, getting those people’s attention, too.

I can see micro-updates working, too – and I’d be happy to see that. But the concern is always that they’re spending too much time on that and not the “next big expansion”, that being the thing that typically gets people really excited and is more likely to draw in new players.

I think once the game smooths out, the gem store will do well. I’m creating my 5th character tonight, and though I’m not sure all of those are staying, I’m sure I’ll end up buying more slots eventually. I don’t feel like it’s unfair. 5 slots seems pretty reasonable for no subscription to help them with maintenance.

I left a sub-based game for GW2, so I plan on applying that $15/mo I was paying to this game.

DABhand.2079

If they follow suit from GW1 then they may release a campaign or two, introducing new classes each one, including a new area of the map and storylines.

Posted by: Endo.5806

Endo.5806

If minor content means things like one new character for $10, then no.

Kailthir.6384

I hate the idea of spending 50+ bucks for a game and not being able to play it unless you continue to give them more money.

Good luck unlocking your bank slots and extra bag slot :P

Dem diamonds

They fixed that problem. You can trade gold coins for gems. And with the added feature of collectables, there is plenty of bank room.

Also if you are a leatherworker you can create backpacks. I just found out about leatherworking profession and the backpacks. Right now i can make 8 slot packs. I assume at higher level the packs have more slots.

So in game inventory is just fine. I am not hurting at all.

Posted by: Crusher.4708

Crusher.4708

Although I would pay for more content, I do think it brings the following issues with it:
- Less time is put into developing big expansions
- You can not play that extra content with people who don’t have it(like your friends for ex.), so you need to make sure they have the exact same DLC as you.
Furthermore, I do think that the Gem Store will be more than enough to keep Arena.net alive.
Look at LoL, people spend tons of money for skins which are useless.
So people will be spending money on gear skins, costumes, etc. just like people did it in Guild Wars 1, which had a very good live staff, who added 24/7 new stuff, like minigames, events, items & holiday things.

DABhand.2079

They fixed that problem. You can trade gold coins for gems. And with the added feature of collectables, there is plenty of bank room.

Yeah at 20-30s at the moment per Diamond, but good luck collecting I think 800 of them to unlock the bank slot and bag slot (unless there is more bank slots at a higher cost).

And once people start earning more as they gain levels the demand goes up as does the price for the diamonds per gold. Then it will be more difficult.

Posted by: Crusher.4708

Crusher.4708

Yeah at 20-30s at the moment per Diamond, but good luck collecting I think 800 of them to unlock the bank slot and bag slot (unless there is more bank slots at a higher cost).

And once people start earning more as they gain levels the demand goes up as does the price for the diamonds per gold. Then it will be more difficult.

Nop. 1 Gem =/= 20-30 Silver. (idk what that graph is showing but it is not the price of 1 Gem)
For 1 Gold 40 Silver I get 510 Gems, so it is pretty easy to get them.

Posted by: Eivene.9127

Eivene.9127

I see myself playing this game for a long time. I won’t be done with this so easily I also don’t mind paying for minor conveniences. I’ve bought 2 character slots and some bank tab expansions. In my eyes it’s a really awesome deal for not having to pay monthly fees. And there’s even the option of buying it all in-game. Honestly, it’s the best thing I’ve come across.

DLCs are not my thing either, though. I don’t really like the idea getting single areas or dungeons or other minor updates at a time. I’ll may buy them if they’re fairly priced, but with such small updates I’m less inclined because it doesn’t feel like they add a lot to the experience. It’s just not my preferred system for getting new content.

Expansions/campaigns though, yes! I guess it just has to do with volume and change. I like getting a big chunk of new stuff to explore, discover, and spend a lot of time on. It feels like starting a new game entirely That’s certainly how Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North felt for GW1.

Perfectionists’ Cult [NICE] - Family Friendly PvE/WvW community
Sanctum of Rall

Kailthir.6384

I eventually bought everything for GW1. Character slots, expansions, nightfall etc. If they go the way of GW1 i will be here for the long haul too.

DABhand.2079

Nop. 1 Gem =/= 20-30 Silver. (idk what that graph is showing but it is not the price of 1 Gem)

Wow I need to come to your realm :P

Cause you are telling me all it takes is 4 days of farming to get 8G to get over 2000 diamonds so people can upgrade normal retail to digital deluxe?

Does that sound right to you?

Especially when in my money £8.99 = 800 diamonds.

EDIT: You are right just checked lol That doesn’t seem right I think they may have bugged it lol

(edited by DABhand.2079)

Posted by: Zalastra.6290

Zalastra.6290

The graph with the price shows how much 100 gems cost.

Posted by: AnTheMan.1378

AnTheMan.1378

I like microtransactions for small pieces of game content, as long as they really are content and it’s not things like XP and Power boosts. I have no problem paying 5-10 euro’s for a new area with questline, events and a dungeon tied to it.

For me the rule is, DLC is ok for as long as you can enjoy the game without feeling you’re missing out on something when you don’t buy it. DLC to extent the time for you enjoying the game is ok, DLC to improve current content is a no go.

That said, I’d rather have multiple small packs then one big expansion, because then I can choice which pack I can buy and when to buy it. I’m not much of a think ahead person. Also, I have no problems with other people buying stuff like XP boosts and such. Just don’t expect me to buy it. ;-)

Posted by: Apoca.8206

Apoca.8206

The only time I would pay for new content is if it were almost a completely new game on par with the original (in terms of content added). I will never pay for DLC content (I never have and never will, for any game) as the concept, to me, is just criminal.

I think Arenanet will bring in a decent amount of money from the gem shop alone, seeing as there are a few million people (a guesstimate) playing currently. It’s a proven fact that games that offer “cash shops” pull in money on par with WoW, even if they aren’t anywhere near the same sub base. GW2 also has the added benefit of charging a decent amount of money to purchase the game.

I honestly don’t think they’ll have a real need to do purchasable DLC at all. They may add in more stuff to the cash shop, but I don’t think they’ll do anything else in the realm of “micro-transactions”.

But, if we look at Guild Wars 2, they are probably likely to release an expansion for GW2 here in about a year to year and a half.

Honestly, I’ve always preferred the subscription and expansion based model, as it requires people to put in more love and care in to the game, which makes the game an overall better quality due to the higher quality in community, if that makes sense. I enjoy expansion-based systems as it gives a lot more content (in most cases) than DLC ever will.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

To be honest, I probably wont buy anything from the cash shop, either. To me, part of the game is gaining enough in-game money to be able to purchase stuff from the cash shop without ever having to invest any more money in to the game. Similar to how some people make it a goal to be able to afford their subscription cost via in-game currency in games such as Eve Online or Wurm Online.

Posted by: Apoca.8206

Apoca.8206

Wow I need to come to your realm :P

Cause you are telling me all it takes is 4 days of farming to get 8G to get over 2000 diamonds so people can upgrade normal retail to digital deluxe?

Does that sound right to you?

Especially when in my money £8.99 = 800 diamonds.

EDIT: You are right just checked lol That doesn’t seem right I think they may have bugged it lol

The worth of gems fluctuates with in-game economy data. Some days, gems go down to 21gems per 9s (I use 9s as my “base”, idk why), while just yesterday it went as high as 40 gems per 9s. Once more higher levels come in to the game and more money is being made, the worth of gems will probably go down a lot, or it might continue to go up. Not sure yet. On day one, though, in the pre-release, 9s was worth 24 gems, and it appears gems are getting cheaper.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I think DLC has become something of an awkward thing. It can legitimately put great content into a game for people or it can be a quick money grab.
Historically speaking with ArenaNet they won’t charge you something unless it is something substantial (expansion etc).
At this time I feel I will be happy with what ArenaNet puts out because historically speaking it has always been substantial.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

DABhand.2079

The worth of gems fluctuates with in-game economy data. Some days, gems go down to 21gems per 9s (I use 9s as my “base”, idk why), while just yesterday it went as high as 40 gems per 9s. Once more higher levels come in to the game and more money is being made, the worth of gems will probably go down a lot, or it might continue to go up. Not sure yet. On day one, though, in the pre-release, 9s was worth 24 gems, and it appears gems are getting cheaper.

Certainly makes buying 800 diamonds at £8.99 a waste of time, when I can get that for around a couple of gold.

8G = Digital Deluxe Edition just doesn’t seem right, when the upgrade in money terms = £21.50 (based on price of 800 diamonds).

Guess they mucked that up :P

Posted by: Delirian.9853

Delirian.9853

I would pay for expansions. And currently I do not consider spending money for cash-shop goods.

Posted by: Freyar.3254

Freyar.3254

I’ve had no issues putting gems into bank space so far, but I wouldn’t want to have to start buying dungeons separately. While DDO’s transformation to a free-to-play game was fairly beneficial to them, my friends and I who played found ourselves fumbling to make sure everyone had access to this-or-that campaign.

I’d much rather just have normal expansions that open up the play as needed rather than having to buy bits and pieces.

Posted by: Cayote.9318

Cayote.9318

Yeah, I really would pay for new content, I’ve had 150 hours in this game now, and if they bring a new game which would be an expension There was a hint of a new race in the collectors edition book, hinting on there being a new race which would maybe be the Tengu as they are also in the bottom left corner of Lions Arch, obviously protecting a gate, and if it also comes with a lot of new content, as you can see on the world map, and if it’s as fun as the content which is already in the game, then I’m in.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks
Character: Cayote The Brute
Guild: Legends of Sacred Light [LSL]

Posted by: Valimare.4362

Valimare.4362

i would actually pay money to play the game at all at this point. refer to the support issues page and link this post there, lol

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

I don’t like the idea of paying for content patches, sounds a bit too much like DDO where you have to pay for every other quest. I will flat out not pay for these, ever.

I will absolutely buy (pre-purchase even) all expansions. I hope they make a lot of large, quality expansions. I think the GW1 expansions were very good.

I already bought bank space & I will buy character slots and the occasional dye pack to support them a bit since there’s no sub.

Posted by: Cayote.9318

Cayote.9318

I don’t like the idea of paying for content patches, sounds a bit too much like DDO where you have to pay for every other quest. I will flat out not pay for these, ever.

Well, the content updates should become free, but I also can’t wait for the expension.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks
Character: Cayote The Brute
Guild: Legends of Sacred Light [LSL]

Posted by: ant.7135

ant.7135

I don’t mind paying for expansions. I wouldn’t expect any to be released soon as the game was £40. Maybe in a year or so I would.