Question about 1 through 5 slots

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Hello,

Sorry if this is an old topic. I’m wondering why the skills in the 1-5 slots can’t be shuffled. I know I can change key binds but the problem occurs when I do weapon swap or change to a different profession. For example I use mouse 3 in most cases for my preferred none auto attack skill. This often changes when I weapon swap. I may want skill 3 on initial weapon attack swap weapons and want mouse 3 to use skill 4.

The same goes when I play a different character of another profession and with that I have to remember to go in an change my key binds to suite that character. If I could order 1 – 5 the way I want then this would not be an issue. It seems odd because aside from the heal skill you can order 7 through 9 skills however you want.

Heck, I’d buy some more gems if you could purchase something to unlock 1 -5

I know it isn’t a huge issue, more just makes it a bit more tricky for someone like myself that struggles with switching keys like crazy. I am guessing it will stay like that so if anyone has types on how I could make it easier on myself I’d appreciate it.

Happy gaming.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

It is not possible to shuffle any of our skills on the hot bars. Although you probably can remap them, it just causes issues later on when you play a different character or, as mentioned, swap weapons.

I do wish they would allow us to do this, but at present not possible.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t completely understand it but I think it would mess up weapon swapping and things like engineer kits.

In GW1 you could freely rearrange all your skills. You could also rearrange special skill bars given by using certain items or in mini games like Costume Brawl and Roller Beetle Racing. But if you did it’d change your normal skills as well. Say for example I decided I wanted to swap the 1st and 5th Costume Brawl skills. I could do it, but when I came out of CB my normal 1st and 5th skills would also have swapped and I’d have to move them back.

I think all your potential skill bars are saved somewhere in the games code and it’s done in a way which ties each skill to it’s particular slot. So if you move a skill you have to move every skill that uses that slot together.

Which is part of why each weapon has to have one specific skill set, otherwise it’d get messed up when you swapped weapons. (In GW1 you could swap weapons, but it didn’t change your skills.) The other part being to prevent some of the gimmicky an OP builds that sometimes caused issues in GW1.

I’m not sure if it’s something they could change, as I said I don’t completely understand how it works. This is just my guess based on what I’ve seen happen in both games and an assumption that they built on their existing system rather than re-inventing it from scratch. But I think if they did want to change it it’d be a lot of work because the code probably affects all kinds of things.

Still, it’d be good if they could.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t completely understand it but I think it would mess up weapon swapping and things like engineer kits.

In GW1 you could freely rearrange all your skills. You could also rearrange special skill bars given by using certain items or in mini games like Costume Brawl and Roller Beetle Racing. But if you did it’d change your normal skills as well. Say for example I decided I wanted to swap the 1st and 5th Costume Brawl skills. I could do it, but when I came out of CB my normal 1st and 5th skills would also have swapped and I’d have to move them back.

I think all your potential skill bars are saved somewhere in the games code and it’s done in a way which ties each skill to it’s particular slot. So if you move a skill you have to move every skill that uses that slot together.

Which is part of why each weapon has to have one specific skill set, otherwise it’d get messed up when you swapped weapons. (In GW1 you could swap weapons, but it didn’t change your skills.) The other part being to prevent some of the gimmicky an OP builds that sometimes caused issues in GW1.

I’m not sure if it’s something they could change, as I said I don’t completely understand how it works. This is just my guess based on what I’ve seen happen in both games and an assumption that they built on their existing system rather than re-inventing it from scratch. But I think if they did want to change it it’d be a lot of work because the code probably affects all kinds of things.

Still, it’d be good if they could.

I see, that seems to make sense now that you pointed it out. I didn’t think about it that way. For a second I thought about the idea of having a second key map set that would automatically swap custom key map settings on weapon swap. Say key map setting one you use mouse 3 for attack 4. On weapon swap it switches to custom key map settings 2 and you use mouse 3 for skill 2. It would also help in cases of jump puzzles where sometimes people want to change movement controls just for the puzzle. Then I thought about it more and it seems like that could cause a lot of problems, glitches and so forth, not to mention probably a coding nightmare.

Oh well I suppose part of the game is learning how to use the keys faster. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The Burninator