Question about Salvage-o-Matics

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I have a silver-fed salvage-o-matic but was thinking of replacing it with a copper fed one. Is it worthwhile doing in your opinion?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Replacing? Do you mean acquiring a Copper-Fed in addition to your Silver-Fed?

Well, Copper-Fed in less expensive to use, and probably results in fewer sigils/runes.
I guess it’s a matter of personal preference. I would probably return my Copper-Fed if that was possible, and I don’t own a Silver-Fed. I might use the Copper-Fed more often if I ever put it in a Shared Inventory Slot. I don’t know; the runes/sigils are kind of a hassle. /shrug

Good luck.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Short story: you’ll probably save money if you salvage often enough. Check you “Agent of Entropy” achievement and check that you are managing at least 100-200 repeats per year

I use Copper-fed on masterwork and below.
Cost per use is 3 copper. Silver-fed costs 60 copper per use, but controlled tests show that it yields the same amount of the same mats; it certainly doesn’t offer 57 copper worth of benefits.

I use master’s kit/mystic kit (same as silver-fed) on rares, because they have a significantly higher drop for exotics.

Exotics I almost always sell, unless they have a high-value rune/sigil (in which case, I’d use BL Kits, for the 100% chance of getting it).

The copper-fed is 800 gems, which will run you about 200 gold right now (if converting from coin). Saving 57 copper/use, it would take you upwards of 35,000 salvages to break even. That sounds like a lot (and it is), but that’s about how much I salvage per year. (Caveat: I do a lot of testing and salvaging that most people don’t.)

To see how much you do, look up your “Agent of Entropy” stats. You’ve salvaged 200 times for each ‘repeat’. Any number above 100-200 repeats/year means you’ll probably spend a lot less with copper-fed, as long as you keep playing about the same amount each year for a while.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Short story: you’ll probably save money if you salvage often enough. Check you “Agent of Entropy” achievement and check that you are managing at least 100-200 repeats per year

Cost per use is 3 copper. Silver-fed costs 60 copper per use, but controlled tests show that it yields the same amount of the same mats; it certainly doesn’t offer 57 copper worth of benefits.

I use master’s kit/mystic kit (same as silver-fed) on rares, because they have a significantly higher drop for exotics.

Exotics I almost always sell, unless they have a high-value rune/sigil (in which case, I’d use BL Kits, for the 100% chance of getting it).

The copper-fed is 800 gems, which will run you about 200 gold right now (if converting from coin). Saving 57 copper/use, it would take you upwards of 35,000 salvages to break even. That sounds like a lot (and it is), but that’s about how much I salvage per year. (Caveat: I do a lot of testing and salvaging that most people don’t.)

To see how much you do, look up your “Agent of Entropy” stats. You’ve salvaged 200 times for each ‘repeat’. Any number above 100-200 repeats/year means you’ll probably spend a lot less with copper-fed, as long as you keep playing about the same amount each year for a while.

No. It was calculated well on release date that the salvage o matics will never break even with regular kits. Its the price for convenience of never running out, as well as it only taking one inventory slot. But if copper per salvage is considered, salvage o matics are the most expensive and no amount of salvages will ever break it even. And thats the price for using it. Not counting for the gems you pay prior to its use

Posted by: sakura.7961

sakura.7961

I think Illconceived meant the break-even point for Copper-Fed compared to Silver-Fed. The cost-per-salvage difference between those is 57 copper, and with 200 gold for 800 gems, that gives you 200*100*100/57 = 35.000 salvages. So if you switch now from Copper-Fed to Silver-Fed, you will have broken even after 35.000 salvages.

Of course that is not what you need to break even on the Copper-Fed itself. A normal salvage costs 3.52 copper, so with a difference of 0.52 copper per salvage you would need to salvage 200*100*100/0.52 =~ 3.85 million times to break even. To make clear how large this number is: if you play Guild Wars 2 for 10 years, you need to salvage about 1050 times every day to break even. So I doubt you will ever break even. You just get it for the convenience of not needing to manage kits for every character.

More violets, less violence.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Honestly, trying to rationalize the cost of an item based on gold bought gems is never favorable, even when it came out. Even for a modest mat farmer like me (around 11.4K masterwork or less in the last week).

Silver fed is a little tougher to analyze if you include the mystic salvage kit into the calculation due to the mystic forge stone requirement.

As for a straight up analysis of silver vs copper on rares, well if the rare has an upgrade it’s worth it due to the improved upgrade yield and price you can sell the upgrade for, even to an NPC, although most sell for more on the TP. But for masterwork, not worth it. For me silver-fed is only for rare items.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

No. It was calculated well on release date that the salvage o matics will never break even with regular kits. Its the price for convenience of never running out, as well as it only taking one inventory slot. But if copper per salvage is considered, salvage o matics are the most expensive and no amount of salvages will ever break it even. And thats the price for using it. Not counting for the gems you pay prior to its use

If you regularly use basic salvage kits, it costs you 3.52 copper per salvage, so yes the copper fed does indeed cost less copper per salvage than basic kits. Only the crude salvage kit has a lower copper cost per salvage than the copper fed, but I can’t imagine anyone using those in bulk because you have to dedicate so many extra inventory spaces due to fewer charges on the crude kits.

Though you are right, you will never break even in terms of gold cost of buying the copper fed, the convenience is surely worth it for some players

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you read the OP again, you’ll see that the question is whether it’s worth it to get a copper-fed in place of a silver-fed. The cost of that option is 800 gems; the savings per use of that option is 57 copper.

Thus if you already own the Silver-fed and use it for everything, you will save the cost of buying a copper-fed if you use that instead, as long as you salvage often enough.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Thanks to your input I decided to get the Copper-Fed.

Thank you Na.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

If you read the OP again, you’ll see that the question is whether it’s worth it to get a copper-fed in place of a silver-fed. The cost of that option is 800 gems; the savings per use of that option is 57 copper.

Thus if you already own the Silver-fed and use it for everything, you will save the cost of buying a copper-fed if you use that instead, as long as you salvage often enough.

I was responding to Amaimon and her claim that copper fed is more copper per salvage than salvage kits are, which is only true if you compare it to crude kits.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Thanks to your input I decided to get the Copper-Fed.

Thank you Na.

Glad I could help.