Question about ascended crafting

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: DavidH.7380

DavidH.7380

Since leveling a crafting profession to 500 isn’t exactly a minor effort, I thought I should learn a bit more about how my profession choice may affect my ability to obtain ascended gear.

Here is what I think I know:

Ascended are always account bound, so the only way to obtain them is to loot or craft them yourself (or buy the accessories from a vendor)

Crafting ascended or legendaries requires a max level crafting skill.

Here is what I’m not sure I understand:

Does ascended and legendary crafting require a specific max level crafting skill or will any do? If I have, say, max level cooking, could I still craft an ascended or legendary greatsword, or would I need to have max level weaponsmithing specifically?

Posted by: MARKONINI.4153

MARKONINI.4153

Legendary: You don’t need max crafting levels, you only need level 400. You need 2 specific crafting professions for every legendary. You can find the list on this page in you scroll a bit down http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_weapon

Ascended: Every piece is bound to a crafting profession of level 500. You can see what crafting profession makes what kind of gear here http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

Tinypaws / Tiny The Charrdian / Marko The Guardian

Guardian has no alternative :)

DavidH.7380

Legendary: You don’t need max crafting levels, you only need level 400. You need 2 specific crafting professions for every legendary. You can find the list on this page in you scroll a bit down http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_weapon

Ascended: Every piece is bound to a crafting profession of level 500. You can see what crafting profession makes what kind of gear here http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

Okay, so let me just be certain I understand.

If I only had one character and I wanted ascended heavy armor and a self crafted legendary greatsword, that character would have to be a weaponsmith and an armorsmith. Weaponsmith for the Gift of Light/Dark and armorsmith for the Gift of Metal for the legendary. Also Armorsmith for the ascended heavy armor. If I then decided I wanted an ascended rifle as well, I’d have to switch a profession to huntsman and level it to max before I could do that.

Correct?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Okay, so let me just be certain I understand.

If I only had one character and I wanted ascended heavy armor and a self crafted legendary greatsword, that character would have to be a weaponsmith and an armorsmith. Weaponsmith for the Gift of Light/Dark and armorsmith for the Gift of Metal for the legendary. Also Armorsmith for the ascended heavy armor. If I then decided I wanted an ascended rifle as well, I’d have to switch a profession to huntsman and level it to max before I could do that.

Correct?

Correct.

Posted by: MARKONINI.4153

MARKONINI.4153

Once you craft an ascended piece you can move it to any other character you want. It doesn’t matter what character you craft it on. What I wanted to point out is that to craft a Rifle you need Huntsman (you can’t craft it with any other crafting profession). But it doesn’t really matter which of your characters actually has Lvl 500 Huntsman because as soon as you craft it you can move it to any other character you have via your bank.

Same goes for legendary gifts, as they are also account bound.

Tinypaws / Tiny The Charrdian / Marko The Guardian

Guardian has no alternative :)

DavidH.7380

Okay, great. Then, if I wanted to craft a legendary greatsword and a legendary rifle I could do so with one character, but if I wanted to craft two legendary axes to dual wield and a legendary rifle then I would need to level a second character and obtain world completion with it in order to obtain more Gifts of Exploration, making legendary creation gated to no more than two per world completed character.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

At least they give you 2 per character. They could of just had it been one.

DavidH.7380

At least they give you 2 per character. They could of just had it been one.

Yeah, and I have three 80s already without using any of my tomes of knowledge, so it isn’t exactly a high barrier in the context of crafting a 3rd legendary.

I’m mostly asking because I only play an average of 30 min a day, and I’m realizing some of these choices may have really long term consequences, so I’m trying to make sure I understand those consequences before I do something stupid like blow all my mats leveling the wrong profession, run past WvW POIs while they are open, sacrifice a Gift of Exploration on an underwater weapon, etc.