Quit WoW and now I came back to GW2

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Driftn.8103

Driftn.8103

Well after 9 years of warcraft I’ve had my fill… Anyhoo

Looking to get into pvp here and would like some advice on a few classes that you guys might recommend. I can’t remember if there are healers in this game or purely dps but I’d like a dps class. Melee or range makes no difference. Perferably no pet classes.

I’m also not looking for the FoTM, just a class that would be decent to get back in with. I’m waiting for the game to update and realized I may have a lvl 30 warrior.

THanks for the help

Posted by: DevO.9854

DevO.9854

mesmer or elem might be a good fit for you or thief.

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

Which classes/specs did you play in WoW? d/d aurashare Ele might be a good fit for you. here’s a build – http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-k33;2B2-V0z47N-Z0;9;59-TT;10;328B45ALo0;3Ewk2Ewk24BZ
if it gives you “bad link”, just copy and paste the text into browser.

Neglekt

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Engineer, they got best dps right now with good condition removal (elixirs remove conditions) with hgh. And they can bunker very good as well.

Engineers can spec for anything really. Thieves cant.

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

Classes have had some very recent adjustments so its difficult to give 100% info on how they fall out in the new meta.

Strong classes include ele, engy(1 spec though), ranger and guardian.

But ALL classes are viable, it does somewhat depend on what roll you want to play. If your truly indifferent to what you play, or how it plays, I recommend ele. Its a strong class and very fun.
If you want to be in demand, learn bunker guardian.

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

Be a real man and play a zerker guardian.

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

well, all professions are quite balanced so you can choose what you like and you will be able to do well with it

you dont want a pet class… so no ranger, necro is partially pet class, but not necessarily, he can be played without them, mesmer is illusionist and illusions are AI controlled, not sure if you consider it as a pet class

you want to be mainly dps… not many guardians are dps specced, its possible, but they are always a bit support/defense from the concept view so guardian is probably not for you

and here we go, remaining profs are thief, warrior, elementalist and engineer… maybe even mesmer and necro, depends on you

THIEFS are more single target, low support and very subtle oriented, biggest nuke in game, good noobstomper

ELEMENTALISTS are very aoe oriented with good support but they need to be specced properly to be effective, pure dps eles are usually not worth it because they die too fast without at least mediocre defense, anyway semi-bunker ele is a FOTM as he have very good dmg and surviv

WARRIOR just got some buff, he is a bit brute force oriented, can even support a bit, i dont know him well

ENGINEER is mechanical and alchemical guy with lots of bombs, turrets and elixirs, usually ranged only with limited access to weapon types, but he can use his special kits like flamethrower, quite variable class if specced properly

MESMER is an illusionary duelist, he is focused to single target dmg, but have decent aoe, very variable class, but not very mobile without specing for it, offers tons of utility options, he is a bit of noobstomper due to illusions which are hard for new players to deal with

NECRO is interesting, mainly condition focused, even aoe, transmuting condition to boons and vice versa, can even profit from conditions on himself, very survivable class

maybe im wrong, but this is my point of view, not very deep, but i hope it could help you with decision

(edited by MaXi.3642)

Posted by: Warjin.8942

Warjin.8942

Well after 9 years of warcraft I’ve had my fill… Anyhoo

Looking to get into pvp here and would like some advice on a few classes that you guys might recommend. I can’t remember if there are healers in this game or purely dps but I’d like a dps class. Melee or range makes no difference. Perferably no pet classes.

I’m also not looking for the FoTM, just a class that would be decent to get back in with. I’m waiting for the game to update and realized I may have a lvl 30 warrior.

THanks for the help

Study http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page learn all you can about conditions, boons, player base health ect. and how they work before you even step foot into pvp, if you are coming from WoW’s pvp and expecting WoW’s pvp you will quit Gw2 in a day because this games pvp is not about rock,paper, it’s about counters to counters, that being said once you learn the ropes this games pvp is miles above WoW’s pvp and becomes so much fun.

This game has no main anything just different play styles, all can heal and tank in different ways all can support some better then others but what one lacks they make up in different areas, my advise is pick a class you enjoy and master it, flavor of the month classes in this game will get nerfed so there is no point in playing one.

Other then that have fun and good luck : )

(edited by Warjin.8942)

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

my advise is pick a class you enjoy and master it

i support this, just pick what you really like, what you enjoy, what theme fits you

Posted by: xtriz.9617

xtriz.9617

Welcome back So many coming back to GW2, and thats feels so good and fun.

Try Elementalist? Or maybe Guardian?

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Are you interested in SPvP or WvW? Or both? You don’t need to level up/farm for gear to do SPvP ( everyone is given max level and PvP-only max stats gear ) so you can just try a class for a few days and reroll if you don’t like it. That’s how awesome GW2 is.

For WvW I’d suggest you get to level 40 at least first. You get upscaled to level 80 anyways, but you’ll be a pushover to any lv 80 not pressing random buttons.

That being said, classes here are extremely versatile: a guardian, GW2’s most support-oriented class, still packs a punch if built accordingly. A ranger, a class that one would assume is a long-ranged but fragile damage dealer, can be built to be very tanky and proficient in melee range. I’d suggest a Warrior for you, as it’s straightforward and deals top-notch damage both melee and ranged, but they are regarded as one of the weakest classes for SPvP. Your call.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”