Ranger Help

Ranger Help

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Nagu.2185

Nagu.2185

Hey everyone,

well I need some build/gear related help/options for my ranger. I’ve been reading a lot of forums, builds, guide and so on but I still have not found what I really wish for. As a side not this is not my main character but just an alt.

When I started off I had an idea that the major game play will be me sitting at a ranged position with a sb or lb shooting arrows and applying conditions. Unfortunately when I reached 80 and started reading through countless builds I realised that the main and most effective way for a ranger to do the max dps is with zerger gear and a s/wh build, which tbh I do not care for .. I have my warrior for that.

What I’m looking for and would really appreciate the help with, even links to other guides and what not, is a pure ranged preferably sb build that stacks bleeds and other conditions fast and is still kinda viable for PvE. I do not care for pvp either. In poor words i just want to move around shooting stuff and see them die with conditions from my sb

Apologies if my English is not perfect and if I may have used basic terminology. i’m grateful for any help or guidelines you can supply.

Thanks

Ranger Help

Nagu.2185

another addition which I missed to mention .. I’d also be inclined to use a build which has quickness and faster sb skill rotations/attack if any exist.

PS: I tried several builds myself but not being a pro in the class I couldn’t actually test/verify them appropriately.

Thanks again

Ranger Help

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Ranger Help

Posted by: zargnath.9524

zargnath.9524

Ok, I can’t say that I am verry experienced with condi ranger though I did have my ranger cond speced ~a year ago(went over to pwer :P). However tihis is what I came up with after a few minutes of thought.

link

You want to go into the WS for extra cond dmg(+toughnees for rune of the undead). However the only condi focused traits are the trap traits in sirmishing and thus u want to max that out + you get some more precision. With 60% crit chance you will proc both sigil of earth and sharpened edges quite often with a potential of 3 bleeds on 1 hit.

You might wanna consider swaping the SB to giver’s stats with rune of agony to make your bleeds last 4 seconds rather than 3 which is almost a 33% damage buff on the auto attack(not counting the loss of sigil of earth).

If I remember correctly I used to run somthing slightly like this(not trap focused) and being able to stack up ~20 stacks of bleed on my own if I managed to get into the flank with QZ.

Gnarl Blackfur – Charr ranger
Bob – Four legged shapeshifter
HeXagonis [HeX]

Ranger Help

Nagu.2185

Thanks for the replies will definitely look into them will let you know what i come up with later on during the week.

Ranger Help

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

(…)when I reached 80 and started reading through countless builds I realised that the main and most effective way for a ranger to do the max dps is with zerger gear and a s/wh build(…)

Don’t forget thats vs standing dummies, real combat, even PvE, is different, everyone has a plan until they get hit
There are champions you couldn’t solo with s wh but you could with sb/lb.
And as always, if you’re dead your DPS = 0.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Ranger Help

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

OP. you are aware that some applied conditions like bleed are capped, yes??

So, if you are attacking a target with SB and another player or two are attacking the same target, you hit the 25 cap on bleed very quickly. This makes all your SB bleed stacking buffs pretty useless unless you do a lot of solo play/exploration.

And yes, you discovered one of the main problems with rangers, the class is crap with ranged weapons. My shatter mesmer is much more effective at ranged combat than my ranger.

Oh, and sword/xxx is the best DPS weapon for a ranger, and does a lot of condition damage as well. It is worth the time investment to learn it. It plays a lot differently than warrior sword, and you might actually like it in the end.

EDIT: Your pet selection with this is pretty important as well, it represents around 30% of your damage output.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

(edited by bri.2359)

Ranger Help

Posted by: Cassocaster.4576

Cassocaster.4576

I have a roamer build (from http://www.guildwars2hub.com/guides/basics/ranger-build-guide-wvw-roamerlongbowgreatsword) with ranger runes on knight’s armor. I swapped out muddy terrain for signet of stone and rage as one for Entangle. My trinkets are ascended celestial. I run PvE, WvW and dungeons with this build to great effectiveness. My pets are a desert spider and a snow leopard. It is a strong DPS with the great sword, a very good ranged (well, as good as LB can be) AoE from the bow and my spider (who also immobilizes) and a decent set of control and escape. My favorite build to date.

Ranger Help

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

My build is condition plus direct based, but due to the condition stack limit you can only have either this or a necro in a dungeon, never both at the same time, as both will hit max stacks in the standard damaging conditions. Direct damage doesn’t suffer from this drawback, but the warrior’s better at it than the ranger at close range and the mesmer’s better at it from a greater distance.

Damage is approximately 6000 dps before might effects, but if a second condition user appears, you’ll zero all of their condition based dps, so it’s not as fantastic as the numbers initially seem to indicate. Also, it takes time to stack the conditions, so you’ll only reach this on champions+; for weaker mobs you’ll barely stack up to 4000 dps before they die.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)