Reached 30K AP milestone. Now what?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Q:

2 years ago I decided that I wanted to reach 30,000 Achievement Points. I thought it would be a longer journey than it has, since that figure seems so insane. Release after release, I played the game and did as much of the content that I could. Now, I’ve done it. I’ve finally joined the 30K club. There have been hundreds of other players who made it before me, so I’d like to pose a question to them: What now?

After achieving this major goal, I’m at a loss as to what I should do now. I’ve brought up this argument countless times when debating players who felt that they were Entitled to getting everything they wanted from Anet. Once you get everything you want, and you run out of things to go, you slowly start to lose interest in playing. I’m struggling with this problem now. There are no new Legendary weapons to hunt. Dungeons are the same since day 1. Fractals are basically the same (except for the rumored new ones later this month). PvP matchmaking upsets me. WvW is roughly the same matchup each week.

I could grind out a few hundred more AP. I could map clear with alts. But in essence, I’ve gobbled up next to everything Anet threw at me. Don’t get me wrong here, GW2 is a wonderful game, which is why I tried everything it had to offer. It’s not Anet’s fault that I completed almost everything, so I can say that I blame myself to running out of things.

So in all seriousness, what should I do next? What are some of the things you players can do over and over without being bored? I know Wanze likes to sit at the Trading Post for hours. Maybe I’ll join his guild or something.

Attachments:

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Congrats on getting 30k AP.

I don’t know what to say about the problem of having done everything and content is stale now except maybe take a break and play something else until they release new content.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’ve got nothing else to play. I’ve been dedicated to GW, and even GW1 since it released. Haven’t really touched any other game in 10 years. Cheated with a few FTP online ones, but those ended up being P2W and not fun.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Grats on 30K! I’m just 3 points from 21K and I know how much I’ve played to get that much so, wow, you rock at this.

Do you RP? RP can add years to a game’s life, literally years, if you get a decent group that tells fun stories.

Also I keep finding new people that need help. I was up to nearly 2 am Thursday because a new player hadn’t done DS and wanted the electric wyvern, so I led him through mid lane and explained the whole process. I didn’t need a DS run myself, especially not one starting at 11:30 at night! But it felt good. Plus the game is reinvigorated when you vicariously see it through fresh eyes as the newer players are amazed and delighted by things you’ve long found routine.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think the suggestion about helping others is something to look into. Have noob dungeon runs. Help others with achievements or story lines. Check out help requests in the LFG. Offer to help people who are asking for help on the forums There’s probably plenty of things you could be doing with this.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Collect all the Pinnacle Weapons?

It shouldn’t be long until new content is dropped. I would imagine new APs will be available to earn.

And, of course, ‘gratz’.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Also I keep finding new people that need help.

This. Old content can be a lot more fun if you find a player that looks lost out there in Tyria and show them around a bit. There are plenty of them around. Also by doing so it helps build a better and stronger community. In many cases they will remember your kindness later on and probably help someone else creating a positive snowball effect. I wouldn’t suggest leading them to the forums though.

The Burninator

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Collect all the Pinnacle Weapons?

It shouldn’t be long until new content is dropped. I would imagine new APs will be available to earn.

And, of course, ‘gratz’.

I dont think we can ever collect all pinnacle weapons, not without around 10 more HoT sized expansions.
But with 30k AP he is far away from having the game completed. I have 32,7k AP and 3.687 skins (of 4098, so 90% done) collected and still feel like it would take years to get to a point where I can consider it completed.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Tryhard Pants.9745

Tryhard Pants.9745

You crazy kitteners congrats! As another poster here said, trying some new games is a good option, even though you kind of dismissed that already. I quit GW2 for Fallout 4 and that kind of snowballed into other games. Been playing again since April 19th patch and I look forward to it every day again. Taking breaks can really reinvigorate the fun in games.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

You should go get 33k AP so you can beat tabarnarcos and be #1 on NA.

Or set some personal goals like I did which was to get 10k gold, then 20k gold etc.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Gz on 30k.

Here’s a couple of goals you can set for yourself:

• Unlock all the _ skins (e.g. all antiques or all maguuma or whatever).
  • Learn to solo (or duo) those dungeons/fractals that can be solo’d (duo’d).
  • Do an “iron man” — get a new character through L80 and specializations without dying once. (Imposing whatever other restrictions you like to make it ‘interesting’ for you.)
  • Map complete on all your characters.
  • Do a “live off the land” — a new character that can’t use anything from TP or bank — just what they find/gather.

If none of those appeal, maybe you can talk about the stuff you especially liked doing before (which achievements were the most fun etc).

Alternatively… it might be a good time to take a break. I ran into a similar state with GW1 before GW Beyond came out and I didn’t play for… maybe 6 months. When I came back, I enjoyed the game a lot more than I did in the six months prior.

tl;dr invent some stretch goals for yourself or take a break — either way, 30k is awesome — congrats

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Well, your next goal could be trying to get dominator from wvw.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

30k: gz
your special toon: gz

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I’d give Marvel Heroes 2016 a run, and see if ya like it. I’m not saying quit GW2, but its a nice change in pace, and a F2P game as well, that you can play with friends. I alternate between this and that, and some other stuff, so i always have something fresh and different to play.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Bandini.6185

Bandini.6185

OP, I know this feeling. When it happened to me, I decided to create a free account, and see what I could do with it. It made the game look fresh again, and I had a lot of fun. Ultimately, it even gave me new goals for my main account

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Welcome to the club Smooth Penguin of Wondrous Achievers.

As to what to do: grind gold i suppose? Always something to spend it on, like trade post skin or something else. I know it’s boring.

Make different characters (like sylvari engineer, norn engineer).

But yeah i’m playing LESS then before i had 30k ap. 30K goal kept me alive during HoT.

Raids are potentially incredible endgame content. But the elitism, the lack of people to do it, the frustrating mechanics (not all but some bosses), the indirect pvp nerfs affecting effectiveness in raids, etc, make it very dissapointing.

A good goal is to make ascended armor of all the new powerfull stats, commander, wanderer, viper, marauder.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Cobrakon.3108

Cobrakon.3108

Psst, you….. you over there…. have 100 map completion.? think you’ve seen everything?…..well you haven’t… u should try map breaking. Some places are actually beautiful out of map. you should look into it… or you can whisper me in game for more details.

Posted by: Deadlyflea.4029

Deadlyflea.4029

Only 10 characters and not all at 80? Get one of every class/race combination! :P

Posted by: LazyDad.2037

LazyDad.2037

Ok the real answer…

Get going on upgrading your look!! Dude, that picture?? For real?? We gotta get you looking better..

Get some armor skins and upgrade that look!

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

So you’re saying you don’t want the AP back pieces that require even more AP? I mean if I were you I’d want an awesome white halo to go with all that glowy armor.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Take a break? I don’t know what to tell you. Only you can really decide your interests.

If I were you, I would wait for more content to be released, then play the heck out of that.

NSPride <3

Smooth Penguin.5294

Yeah there’s still stuff to get done. But alas, a lot of what’s remaining is basically grind. My Pact Mastery is on the last tier, and that’s gonna take me a lot of XP unless I dungeon speed run. Monster kill achievements are doable, but again just grind.

I chose to grind things to get to 30K, but since I hit my goal, I’m looking for meaningful things to do. Sometimes I help lead DS or AB metas if an additional Commander is needed. RPing isn’t my thing anymore, since a friend got banned for ERPing (his ex reported his naughty chat logs). Scribing is maxed, but I’m tempted for getting the orchestra for my Guild Hall. I might try to unlock all the Legendary weapon crafts like another player did.

Bottom line, I don’t want to play another game. I’ve invested the past 10 years into Anet. Each time I touch another game, I feel like I’m cheating on my wife with a cheap FTP/P2W game.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Yeah there’s still stuff to get done. But alas, a lot of what’s remaining is basically grind. My Pact Mastery is on the last tier, and that’s gonna take me a lot of XP unless I dungeon speed run. Monster kill achievements are doable, but again just grind.

I chose to grind things to get to 30K, but since I hit my goal, I’m looking for meaningful things to do. Sometimes I help lead DS or AB metas if an additional Commander is needed. RPing isn’t my thing anymore, since a friend got banned for ERPing (his ex reported his naughty chat logs). Scribing is maxed, but I’m tempted for getting the orchestra for my Guild Hall. I might try to unlock all the Legendary weapon crafts like another player did.

Bottom line, I don’t want to play another game. I’ve invested the past 10 years into Anet. Each time I touch another game, I feel like I’m cheating on my wife with a cheap FTP/P2W game.

Dude, no need to take the game that seriously. It’s a game, not a relationship. Just take a break, do other things, and when new content is released that you think sounds cool — come back and do it. The game is there for you, not you for it.

Edit: also, kitten that Ex, you/anybody should be able to RP to their hearts content.

NSPride <3

Posted by: BigZThyDoom.8750

BigZThyDoom.8750

Wow. No need to take the game so seriously! xD
Something you can do (if you don’t have it already) is to go for the HoM points in GW1. Not only do they give at least a good 4-500 AP, it’ll keep you busy, and get you rewards on GW2. And you wouldn’t be cheating on GW, either, so that’s a plus.