Really having trouble finding an alt...

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Graybes.8251

Graybes.8251

I’ve been playing dual dagger elementalist since the game was released and I haven’t been able to get into another character at all. I’d like to have an alt but I just can’t find anything that I find as fun as d/d elementalist.

I thought maybe some friendly people of the community could help me out with their experience with professions and weapon sets. My preferences in play is that I really enjoy melee combat a lot more than ranged. I also like defensive builds with lots of health and armor. I want to be able to charge into fights and not worry about dying easily. I don’t need to dish out tons of damage to be happy, even if i can just support the group I am happy.

I’m just looking for a fun build…I’ve tried a lot of them but haven’t spent much time on any certain build so I can’t really get a read on how end game builds would be. Hopefully I can get some suggestions based on my preferences.

Posted by: MoggyLXIX.2891

MoggyLXIX.2891

Hi Graybes, I have tried every profession with every race. I found the ones I liked (ele and necro) were way too squishy. I finally settled on Guardian, the have both a great offence and defence, they are also great with ranged and melee weapons. I stick to greatsword (melee) and sceptre/torch ranged. In a group I switch to greatsword/staff as the offensive attacks are great as are the support skills/spells. Solo on my Norn my elite skill is Tome of Wrath, in a group it is Tome of courage. My alt is a lvl 80 Ranger which I love to solo with, entire armour is equipped with Superior Rune of the Pirate, use mostly short bow or sword/axe combo. Land pets are reef drake and Lynx, aquatic are Jelly fish and armored fish

Ours is not to question why, ours is but to do and die

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

You can try out end game builds by rolling a fresh toon and taking it into the Heart of the Mists where it’s leveled to 80 and you have access to all the gear and skills/traits, etc. Practice in a hot join or on the target dummy to get an idea of how it plays.

(for the record I play elementalist and it is SO much fun I haven’t found another profession that I like as much either)

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

I love my elementalist as well and enjoy both staff and D/D.

As far as other classes go, if you want something to jump into melee and do lots of useful stuff, guardian is your best bet. I also enjoy my thief for PvE content – both D/D and S/P are fun melee sets that make you think about your positioning in a battle, and SB is great for positioning and party utility. While she’s not at 80 yet, I am learning to have fun my engi with loads of different kits (flamethrower/grenades/elixir gun right now) plus a rifle for more melee oomph and mobility, though I didn’t like the class very much for the first 39 levels. I have a warrior and a necro at 80 as well, and I find them both very boring compared to the ele.

Best of luck finding an alt profession! Overall, I think you really do have to level any profession up to level 40+ in order to see how well you’ll like them – those low levels don’t give you enough skills/traits to understand the synergies between them that you’ll love at level 80.

Posted by: Aluna Darklady.3165

Aluna Darklady.3165

Graybes…wow. I have the SAME problem! I have a s/d Ele Main, and my alts are just not the same. The biggest thing for me is the 20 weapon skills as opposed to 5 (or arguably 10) on alts. I’m so used to swapping attunements and always having a skill to use.

I have a Warrior, Guard, and Ranger alt. I don’t mind any of them, but I can’t say that any of them particularly strike me and none of them do I prefer over my ele. I’m not 80 yet on any of them, so can’t really give specifics on the profs, but I just had to comment b/c I know what you mean!!

~Mera Darklady~
Legion of Honour [XIII]
Elementalist

(edited by Aluna Darklady.3165)