Returning Player

Returning Player

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: stealth.5482

stealth.5482

Hi, I originally played GW2 as pre-order and beta. I played a thief to 80 but got distracted and quit for a long time. When i returned my Thief was on a NA server (no idea how this happened). So I started again and levelled an Ele to 80 which is now in full Zerk crafted gear. I’ve just come back after probably another 2 years and ordered HoT. It’s been so long since i played the ele that im not even sure how i would play it anymore.

So at the moment im stuck.

a) try and learn the Ele again and try and hit some dungeons etc. I was thinking of doing this and grinding Bitfrost.

Ele toon:

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/character/Ay%C3%A1o

b) I fancy a new character to get to grips with the game again, been looking at Chrono (Mesmer currently 15 started yesterday) and Necro (currently 6).

I was all clear on Chrono and then i’ve read all kinds of stuff about nerfs to Chrono boons making them less viable and nerfs to Necro cond builds. As I dont play a high level char im not sure what to make of these nerfs or how they affect actual top level play. I basically liked the look of the time aspects of the chrono, but dislike the low damage. How does this affect solo open world play?

I dont want to play a class that is getting dumped from groups, pretty just had that with Warlock in WoW with the new Myth+ dungeons.

I wanna play long term this time, there’s a lot more going now at top level than there was previously. I’ll be like 90% focused on PVE content.

Also, is there any new version of the original Legendaries introduced with HoT or previous patches? Or should i just pursue the original one?

A lot of questions, i just want to make sure I make the correct decision before dedicating a tonne of time into a toon I don’t enjoy/cant get groups with

Thanks in advance

(edited by stealth.5482)

Returning Player

Posted by: Nordom.3485

Nordom.3485

Hm, first of all, the nerfs to chrono,rev and necro mainly hit the raiders, so unless you’re planning to go for that game mode, there’s no need to worry. That said, rest assured that chrono is still gonna be a must for raid groups; it’s the only reliable way of sharing quickness in the game in such large amounts and there’s also a chance it becomes more needed than before if meta runs 2 chronos. Furthermore, chrono is average in open solo play but really sucks to level . About necro, I speculate it will still have its uses on specific raid encounters (like mat, xera,sloth) like before, so it’s not useless either.
About elementalist, it’s still powerful and it shouldn’t be too hard to get used to the class again.Just get a staff, stay at fire and spam skills :p
If I were you I’d use ele to do my lvl80+ activities like dungeons, HoT maps ,raids while working on whichever if the other classes you feel like playing/leveling; there’s no need to restrict yourself.
Also, no there’s no different version of the original legendaries, there’s just a revamped way of getting the precursor by crafting/questing instead of buying from tp/mystic forge gambling, but I’m not sure which is better, for that either someone else can help you, or you’ll need some research done.

Returning Player

Posted by: stealth.5482

stealth.5482

Ok great, think ill stick to levelling the Mesmer if that’s the case and see how it goes. Are they needed for the 5 man?

Returning Player

Posted by: Nordom.3485

Nordom.3485

Ok great, think ill stick to levelling the Mesmer if that’s the case and see how it goes. Are they needed for the 5 man?

Assuming you mean fractals and dungeons(keep in mind that dungeons are a bit deserted), they are good for either mode but not needed(there isn’t really a great restriction on either of those modes as long as you know your class and the content)