Returning Player Seeks Class Help

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Terec.9674

Terec.9674

Hi guys,

Before you berate me for creating a “class help” thread, please let me explain. I understand these threads are abundant and that the tried and true “play what you like” is the ever present theme, however, I am simply trying to find out, in the current state of the game, what it is that I like.

About me:

I played GW2 from release until about 3 – 4 months after as primarily a Thief. I enjoyed the game greatly as far as WvW, but hated the unorganized mess that was dungeons in arena net’s vision of “no holy trinity!” MMO progression. While the Thief offered me an amazing experience into solo / small group WVW play, it always left me with something to be desired…

Fast Forward to Now:

I am now returning to GW2 and wanting to find a class that fits me and my play style. I would like a class that offers the following:

1) WvW PVP 1v1 Potential
2) Dungeon Potenital – Desired by groups

My priority would most likely be PVP and being able to hold my own in a pitched 1v1 battle, however, I also enjoy being useful in group settings. I enjoy classes with a complex playstyle, and for this reason have already ruled out the Warrior. I am mainly leaning towards an elementalist with D/D as my focused spec, but would greatly appreciate some input from people who have been playing the game recently and know what the current state of affairs is.

Anyways, Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any advice you might offer!

Posted by: Pokecenter.3548

Pokecenter.3548

I believe Mesmer would fit somehow what you are looking for. I play with one but i never went out of pve so i can’t give you a opinion based on my experience; but from what i’ve read Mesmer seems to do fairly well in WvW and PvP, specially if people aren’t used to their mechanics or are unaware of how the profession really works – they get confused with all the illusions stuff. In pve open world, which is what i do, he isn’t really that great, so it may be boring if you are solo exploring the maps; but if it is just for dynamic events with other people it is perfectly fine. As far as Dungeons go, from what i’ve experienced and read Mesmer has quite a few useful skills that can fit very well any group (personally i really like Null Field and Feedback, Time Warp is a pretty good Elite as well); if people desire them or not idk, as i only see guys asking for Warriors and Guardians with high ap, from time to time Eles – but this on the lfg tool, in organized groups with ppl that know well dungeons and their mechanisms it may (and hopefully is) totally different.

Ranger wouldn’t match very well your goals. I didn’t touch my Necro for 6months but, at least as ‘’desired by groups’’ goes, i believe we could say exactly the same. Dunno about the other characters as i’ve never played them, but i’m pretty sure that the Warrior – if not ruled out by you – and the typical Guardian also would fit in your description.

In case you don’t know soon enough every profession will get a new Grandmaster trait for every traitline, so that could change this scenario.

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

I second mesmer, engineer, or just keep your thief. L2 Sw/p

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

Engineer has a great 1v1 potential like Mesmer but isn’t as desired in dungeon settings.

Thieves are there for high DPS and stealth helps in trash running (why do you think thieves aren’t desired for dungeons? Maybe you were from the time people were only obsessed with warriors, guardians and mesmers—some of whom still remain. Unfortunately).

Mesmers give time warp a great DPS output, brief stealths and reflects in dungeons. Sometimes, portals can be really useful but never essential just like thieves’ stealth.

There’s a high demand for Ele in dungeon because it’s the highest DPS. They have a good 1v1 potential but is currently at the bottom tier in PvP. But they are also getting nice confirmed buffs soon.

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

First of all, you will need a different build for PvE and WvW if you want to be effective. This often includes both gear and traits, so don’t shelf your Thief too easily.

1. Every class can make a decent roamer, you do need to build for it. Though Mesmers and Thiefs are pretty dominant atm due to their stealth options, which makes them tough to deal with for most people and PU-Mesmer is a very forgiving spec. Conditionbunkers are also pretty dominant and will stay that way after the April update.

2. Current favour of the month in PuGs: Warrior, Guardian, Mesmer, Elementalist. Warriors are your safest bet in how desireable they are, but since you think you won’t enjoy them Guardian is likely your second-safest bet, or Elementalist, especially if you think of joining a serious Speedclearing group rather than Pugging (in which your Thief would be quite favourable as well.)

I play Elementalist the most out of my 8 toons and currently the D/D (0/10/0/30/30) build does the job in Roaming for me, but I think the Ferocity-update will be a nail in the coffin for that build, it’s decent atm, not great, not bad. For PvE I never struggle to get a group, but I doubt I would on any class, most parties forming aren’t too picky on classes, though some are.

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Mesmer for the 1v1s. They are also valued in groups.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Mesmer- they are the kings of 1v1

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Mesmer for PvP 1v1s, dungeons and being one of the more complicated classes to play (as opposed to, say, Warrior). Mesmers are capable of being truly devastating in 1v1s, but require you to know your profession and what you are doing with it to get there, so it sound like the perfect class for your specifications.

They are valued in groups because of Feedback, Null Field, Time Warp, Veil etc. They can cover a few of the areas Thieves do (like stealth), but also offer a little more group utility/support. They’re also good roamers in WvW (except for mobility – you do pretty much have to have a focus to equip on offhand for speed out of combat – though their in combat mobility is good) but I don’t think they contribute much special to a zerg or anything (no more than the majority of other professions, in any case).

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Mesmer and Thief are the TOP roamer (1vs1) right now. They are also both good in PvE.

Mesmer bring utilities to dungeon with average dmg.
Thief bring TOP single target dmg and stealth for skipping trash. But Thief are harder to play PvE than Mesmer are, so watch out.

Other than that. Warrior is in a good place for 1v1 and PvE dungeon.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD