Returning Player, debating class!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Dyne.4102

Dyne.4102

Hi all! Just was wondering what class is the FOTM right now, and which ones are pretty solid in terms of balance. And just so we’re clear, I don’t want to be playing the FOTM due to impending nerfs, etc. I’m leaning a little towards Ranger, but I’m open to suggestions!

TLDR; Sell me on your favorite class!

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

There is no “FOTM”.

Warriors, Guardians and Mesmers have always been the way to go, and still are. Rangers and Engineers especially are worthless.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Malvagite.3254

Malvagite.3254

There is no FotM (flavor of the month) in guild wars 2….because nothing ever changes.

In six months nothing has changed significantly class wise minus a few small nerfs. its like no one works on classes at all. There are still the same typos in the skill descriptions from day one.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

FOTM? I think you might have mistaken this forum with WoW’s one.
GW2 has no FOTM just good and bad players.
In PvE though classes are not equally good, the War/Guard/Mes trio leads the way by far.
I would put Thief on par with the trio but since most Thieves can’t play permablind/stealthrez I can’t really speak for them until they l2p.

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

Um, only roll a Ranger if you want be one of the 3 most broken Professions in GW2.

If you want to be “strong” and “wanted” in both PVE and PVP, go with:
-Warrior
-Thief
-Mesmer
-Elementalist
-Guardian

If you want to be a class with a lot of bugs and in desperate need of rebalancing :
-Engineer
-Necromancer
-Ranger

I wouldn’t worry about nerfs, classes like Warrior’s only see buffs. Warrior’s are by far the strongest PVE class right now, next to the always-wanted and loved-by-many Guardians.

Necro’s, Engineers and Rangers have been broken for 6 months now, I wouldn’t expect many buffs to them anytime soon either. I could be wrong though, I hope I am.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

Rangers and Engineers especially are worthless.

- Ranger is the only class that can deal autoattacks from 1500 range and stack 20 vulnerability quickly.

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Most classes do well, I’ve played mesmer, elementalist, and necro to 80 and enjoy them all differently. You’d be better off to go with your playstyle. The balance isnt perfect (how could it be with the number of variables) but its quite reasonable, especially if you pick a class YOU play well.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Dyne.4102

Dyne.4102

Thanks for the input, guys!

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

Sorry, GW2 doesn’t have enough skills to have flavor of the month. You’re looking for GW1. In terms of best classes, go with Warrior for PvE, Thief for WvW, or Warrior, Thief, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist for sPvP. These positions haven’t changed since launch really.

If you you want to play Ranger, Engineer, or Necromancer, be prepared for a firm difficulty hike. It’s basically like playing Hard Mode in a way, so if you don’t like facerolling stuff and want to have to pay attention to what you’re doing all the time, roll one of those three.

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

I’m taking the comments about Engineers/Rangers/Necromancers as opinion, not fact. It’s not always immediately obvious how to play these classes. I play an engineer and there are countless different ways I could set myself up. The trick is finding the right mix of abilities and tactics to both satisfy your enjoyment and be effective.

My personal experience with the engineer was that I initially was overwhelmed with the broad range of abilities, weapon kits, turrets, etc. and the very loose connection between them all. Once I settled on a playstyle and build, and figured out which things I wanted and which I didn’t, I started to like my character. I currently play a rifleman in PvE with elixirs in my skill slots for buffs and condition damage. One day I might decide I want to do AoE support as a grenadier, or maybe defend an area with turrets and land mines.

It’s way too easy to have ineffective strategy with these classes, but that doesn’t make them inherently bad.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

- Ranger is the only class that can deal autoattacks from 1500 range and stack 20 vulnerability quickly.

Autoattacks are worthless if they barely do any damage… and vulnerability is limited to 25 stacks which is reached regardless of a ranger stacking it 20 times or not.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Malvagite.3254

Malvagite.3254

I’m taking the comments about Engineers/Rangers/Necromancers as opinion, not fact. It’s not always immediately obvious how to play these classes. I play an engineer and there are countless different ways I could set myself up. The trick is finding the right mix of abilities and tactics to both satisfy your enjoyment and be effective.

My personal experience with the engineer was that I initially was overwhelmed with the broad range of abilities, weapon kits, turrets, etc. and the very loose connection between them all. Once I settled on a playstyle and build, and figured out which things I wanted and which I didn’t, I started to like my character. I currently play a rifleman in PvE with elixirs in my skill slots for buffs and condition damage. One day I might decide I want to do AoE support as a grenadier, or maybe defend an area with turrets and land mines.

It’s way too easy to have ineffective strategy with these classes, but that doesn’t make them inherently bad.

When millions of people are spread out over only 8 classes…..the problem isnt that all of those people cant figure out the nuances of a class.

Its not an opinion when people say necro, ranger and engineer are weak.

The numbers dont lie.

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

As a ranger I take offense to all this negative ranger talk! We have bugs, but we are far from useless. Good rangers are few and far between, but we can deliver a beating and survive the day when we are good

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

When millions of people are spread out over only 8 classes…..the problem isnt that all of those people cant figure out the nuances of a class.

The numbers dont lie.

Which numbers are those?

Do we have statistical evidence that across ‘millions’ of players, all the engineers/necros/rangers are weak? Or are we basing this on the experiences of those who have posted their concerns?

And for that matter, I thought GW2’s big thing was that numbers don’t matter.

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

The numbers dont lie.

Do we have statistical evidence

Well, yeah, actually we do, head on over to the profession sub-forums. And thieves and warriors absolutely kittening annihilate most other classes on DPS.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Warriors are the flavor at the moment.

Currently the most dps out of any class.

Will probably be changed soon.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

Autoattacks are worthless if they barely do any damage… and vulnerability is limited to 25 stacks which is reached regardless of a ranger stacking it 20 times or not.

- Not even WvW zergs stack vulnerability that high, because everyone seems to run some crit / condition build these days. Every class receives same stats from items and only skill damage and traits make the difference. Ranger Longbow deals more damage than Mesmer Greatsword for example because of better traits.

Ranger has

• First hit always critical
  • +10% damage when endurance full, +5% damage longbow, +10% damage flank, 5% of vitality to power (min. +45.8)

Mesmer has

• +50 power, +5% damage to inactive foes, +4% for each readied mantra (max 4)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

People are way oversimplifying this. Rangers, engineers, and Necros all have a place on a team, each has utility and abilities no other class has. I’ve seen a winning tourney team run double engineers. The difference is in random public matches nobody has the coordination to use the utility unique to each class, and so it comes down to tankiest or most damaging classes and nothing else.

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

Cept Engineer’s can also hit from 1500 range. Actually, hitting from 1500 range is kind of gimmicky because the arrow and grenade speeds are so slow that people strafe out of the way.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

People are way oversimplifying this. Rangers, engineers, and Necros all have a place on a team, each has utility and abilities no other class has. I’ve seen a winning tourney team run double engineers. The difference is in random public matches nobody has the coordination to use the utility unique to each class, and so it comes down to tankiest or most damaging classes and nothing else.

I believe people are talking about PvE issues, not sPvP stuff.

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

Warriors, thief, guardian, mesmer, elementalist best.

Ranger okay.

Engineer good to real good if you understand what power engineer can do that no other class can.

Necromancer okay.

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

Engineer is an awesome class, but it really needs a viable melee spec.

Necros are probably the least represented class and have a couple of problems in certain specs. Namely pet ai.

(edited by piitb.7635)

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

What ever you do, stay away from Necromancer, Engineer, Ranger and you’ll be fine.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Make a warrior and steamroll

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Mag Li.2581

Mag Li.2581

I play an Engineer. I think it’s great! I enjoy myself, have no trouble going anywhere in the open world.

I have always been a ranged player. I just cannot get in to playing a warrior. I don’t care how godly the melee classes are. Melee is just not my thing. So to me, I would just stand back and use the rifle or bow on the warrior anyway… Therefore, my first character in GW2 was a ranger, second was the Engineer. The engie is over 80 with a full set of almost 80 exotics. I’m having a blast with the engineer.

Mag Li [Oxy]
Part 1/2 of a dynamic duo

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

My top choices would be Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist, and Engineer.

If you want to PvP or wvw, go thief, mesmer, warrior, or necromancer (WvW) for pull and fear.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

Like the rest have said, Warrior is the pve way to go, if its wvw, then go for a culling thief, they kill everything and walk away!

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

My thoughts from observation/guild chat/experience
PvE = Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Elementalist
WvW = Mesmer, Elementalist, Thief, Guardian (basically these 4 are what people play in wvwvw, any other class and you gimp yourself’

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Like the rest have said, Warrior is the pve way to go, if its wvw, then go for a culling thief, they kill everything and walk away!

Yea this is the most annoying thing about wvwvw right now, if thats your thing. Thieves that stealth so often the culling effect rarely renders them making it lucky to even get one targetted attack off on them while they land massive bombs on you. grrr!!

Its probably the main unbalanced thing right now, but its not intended, its an engine problem that they having been working on fixing for some time (and have some new fixes coming). Just this class and setup exploits it to the maximum.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

Yep, for PvE it is Warrior – there is no second place.
For WvW it is Thief – again there is no second place.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

In Guild Wars 2, no single profession is FotM. Instead, this game has a whole Dungeon that is FotM. It is called “Fractals of the Mists”.

Having said that, just play whatever profession you like. Some are more difficult to play than others, some experience more bugs than others. All are playable, some just are more challenging.

Having said THAT, if you want as little challenge as possible, play a Warrior.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

As Warrior, Guardian or Elementalist you’ll have it easy because they are very straightforward and people understand them with a glance. Mesmer requires skill but their unique utility is very, very good.

As an Engineer myself, I can’t really complain. My toon has tools for every situation. The difference is mostly that I actually have to change my bar every boss because engi isn’t about raw numbers.

I have the feeling necro and ranger are viable in their own right, but they are difficult to play right. As such they are (imho rightfully) ignored in PUGs. A guild will appreciate a good necro or ranger though.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

And I thought FotM was “Fractals of the Mists”…

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.