Returning noob help!

Returning noob help!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Aons.9701

Aons.9701

I have tried coming back to play GW2 a few months ago, but nearly everything was different and that alone made me feel like a complete lost puppy and disinterested very fast.
I’m wondering if someone would be able to give me a quick little mini guide on things to do when making a new character.
Also I made a lvl 60 auramancer elementalist, are they still as viable as they were when GW2 first came out?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Returning noob help!

Posted by: oRx.9584

oRx.9584

Welcome back Aons!

I will give you a quick little mini guide in note form here, but if you have any further questions, feel free to add me in-game.

Things to do on a new character are practically unlimited;

Mostly, you will want to be leveling your characters to reach that level 80 cap; this can be done in a variety of ways:
1. Hearts – The most common way to level a character, hearts also provide you with a decent amount of karma, which can be used to purchase crafting materials or gear (even exotic at level 80). Doing the hearts regularly also contributes to your daily achievements most of the time and brings you towards the map completion.

2. Dynamic events and event trains – Normally these are random encounters, but some people focus on doing these, as they are a somewhat steady xp gain with the least traveling needed. You should also do these if you run into them while doing hearts; a heart can wait as it will always be there. A dynamic event won’t.

3. Edge of the Mists – You’ve probably heard of this already as it is currently one of the fastest training methods in-game. I have to warn you however, you won’t experience much of the game if you train by this, as it is very one-sided. Anyhow, it is a World Vs World map that is used as a train mainly. The bonuses to this method are huge; one of the fastest xp methods in-game, great Badges of honor gain (badges can be used to purchase level 80 Exotic armor), great Karma gain (another currency you can use for plenty different goods) and in general lots of fun (for me at least).

4. Crafting and gathering nodes – Why not farm some nodes around the world? This will get you to meet a large portion of Guild Wars 2’s map, gather a nice bunch of resources which you can either sell for some decent coin, or level crafting with! Crafting is also very useful in the end-game, as you need it to form Legendaries, and in most cases even Ascended gear.

You can also do some PvP which will often provide you with great gear / crafting materials and skins you would otherwise receive in dungeons or such and also provides you with Tomes of knowledge used for leveling your characters up.

I hope I helped there, there’s just soooo much more to it I didn’t bother writing, cause I’m unsure about what you really want answered. So please do add me in-game and shoot out any further questions you may have!

Good luck, hope to see you in-game soon!

Welcome back again

Regards, oRx.

EDIT: About the auramancer elementalist I’m not really sure what build do you mean by that? If it is the D/D Elementalist build it definitely is viable still, but there are more succesful builds out there aswell!

Just play whatever you are comfortable with really though!

“Wars come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.”
- Tupac Amaru Shakur (1971-1996)

Returning noob help!

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Welcome back

One of my guildmate just asked a similar question yesterday. Here what you can focus on during your early period in gw2.
- Level up your character to 80
- Do your World Completion. It will allow you to see the world, have wp unlocked, gain some transmutation stone to change your look, gain some black lion key for some fun reward, give you a good starting amount of gold.
- Complete your personal story. Some don’t like it, but the first time its nice. If you want to read and listen to the story, it will be nice and that will explain a lot of stuff on what’s going on in the world.
- Go after your first set of exotic gear. Don’t worry if you are not sure which armor take, go after the one you think you will need. The first one can take a bit to have, but you will see that after it super easy to get an exotic armor. (I changed maybe 5 time my complete exotic armor when I started so not a big deal if you choose wrong at first, experiement).
- Try out different stuff Dungeon, Fractals, WvW, sPvP. Watch out in Dungeon and Fractals, make sure ppl in your party know that you are new. Ppl are awesome and will help you, but if you don’t say a word, they will expect you to know what you are doing and will be mad at you when you figure out that you don’t.

Elementalist are probably the best profession right now. They are number 1 in PvE, they are on the top 2 in sPvP and are in the top 4 in WvW.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Returning noob help!

Posted by: Pepsi.8907

Pepsi.8907

Since you’re using the auramancer you must have quit around a year ago?
as others suggested level your ele to 80.
What changed > the whole leveling system, you now receive “gifts” until lvl 80 and the system of traits points have been remade
Many more things, but that’s what I can think of (except the new dry top and silverwaste maps)…

As an 80 what would you wish to do?
WvW, PvE, PvP?
It is important to know this, since it will influence your builds.
Don’t craft ascended armor and weapons if you focus solely on PvP for example or don’t plan on doing fractals.
While ele is in a good place right now, auramencer is more a thing of the past. Some builds I can think of:
Fresh air build
Celestial D/D
Staff conjure
S/F LH

Do a quick sift of the ele forums, lots of topics on builds and such.

Maybe find a guild? Tons of them out there that will welcome a returning player, and they will help you in game where we cannot.