Returning player, completely confused.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Nephilim.8395

Nephilim.8395

Hi there.

Ok, so I played at launch, got to 80. I’ve just bought HoT and reinstalled after all these years! I’ve got a “current” build for my engineer and a load of gear off the market, so far so good.

I’d like to unlock mastery as it seems the “thing” to get working on but am utterly lost as to where, how, when or anything. Google keeps telling me to Silverwastes, so I’ve got to the entrance, explored a bit but… nothing.

I never finished my story, I appear to be on stage 5 of Part 1. Do I need to do all the stories in order before I go on to unlock mastery?

thank you.

Posted by: Archilus.4590

Archilus.4590

Hello, and welcome back

First you can press H and go to the masteries tab, there you can see all masteries and choose one you want to train (when i say train, i mean doing whatever you want, the experience you gain goes to the masteries). There are different masteries for Central Tyria and Heart of Maguuma, you can train Tyria’s masteries in Tyria only, and vice versa.

When a mastery is “full”, you need a mastery point to unlock it. To gain mastery points open you achievements tab, you’ll see which achievements grant mastery points, and go hunting for them. There are some fairly easy ones, as there are some harder ones. You can find some guides for easy ones on google.

If you’re looking for other things to do, you can do hero points first to unlock your elite specialization, enjoy the new maps and their meta events etc. Just saying because one cannot unlock masteries in one afternoon, it actually takes time and happens slowly as we do other activities in the game.

If you need other advices do not hesitate to ask here

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Actually you do need to do the first part of the Heart of Thorns storyline to unlock masteries.

The good news is you don’t need to do the original story first. Open your Hero Panel (H by default), click on the star icon on the left hand side. Then select Heart of Thorns and when the drop-down opens select ‘Begin this Story’.

That will put a green star icon on your map which will show you where to go, and once you get there you’ll be prompted to enter the instance. After that it’s just a matter of following directions.

Be aware however that Heart of Thorns was aimed at people who had completed the core game so it’s harder – the enemies have more health, better AI and often need specific tactics to bring them down. The first instance isn’t too bad, but it’s probably a good idea to familiarise yourself with the game again before you attempt the whole thing.

Also just so you know you can swap back to your original storyline at any time using the story tab.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Nephilim.8395

Nephilim.8395

Actually you do need to do the first part of the Heart of Thorns storyline to unlock masteries.

The good news is you don’t need to do the original story first. Open your Hero Panel (H by default), click on the star icon on the left hand side. Then select Heart of Thorns and when the drop-down opens select ‘Begin this Story’.

That will put a green star icon on your map which will show you where to go, and once you get there you’ll be prompted to enter the instance. After that it’s just a matter of following directions.

Be aware however that Heart of Thorns was aimed at people who had completed the core game so it’s harder – the enemies have more health, better AI and often need specific tactics to bring them down. The first instance isn’t too bad, but it’s probably a good idea to familiarise yourself with the game again before you attempt the whole thing.

Also just so you know you can swap back to your original storyline at any time using the story tab.

Fantastic, thanks for that.