Returning player seeking info

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Alaric.3980

Alaric.3980

So, hi guys,

I bought the game very shortly after release and didn’t like it at all. I found it impossible to solo and really couldn’t get into the game…BUT I’M BACK TO GIVE IT ANOTHER SHOT!

I was wondering how the game has progressed, not an in depth because I can read patchnotes for that, but in the sense of the initial gameplay.

I really wanna play a necro but looking at some forum posts I’ve heard they are passed up by players in dungeons because there is a very warrior/guardian los aoe pulling thing going on. I’ve also heard that everything comes from the cash shop nowadays. True, or BS?

Let me know your opinions on the game nowadays guys, I’m excited to come back and give GW2 another go!

Posted by: Xerion.8014

Xerion.8014

I found it impossible to solo

Solo in what aspect? If you can’t do the personal on your own then you doing something wrong :c

Finishng dungeons solo is still not possible, nor has there been released any solo activity in PvE that you can call endgame worthy. I guess most want it to become possible, same instance only scaled to doing it solo.

Anyway, not much has changed, its all focused on group play and i don’t see that change tbh. If you want to go do stuff solo, go roam in WvW

Play what you like to play, i personally haven’t had any problems joining proper speedruns with my ranger and necro.

Cashshop isn’t really that special, special finishers, mini-pets, skins and other stupid stuff that you don’t really need unless you love spending cash on those kind of items.

Not much has changed, but hey! Living Story Season 2 is coming up. Starting first of July! Perhaps it brings more solo acitivity since the way living story is going to be is different then from season 1. You probably have read it already. Might be interesting for you if it will be more an solo living story

PS: Good to have you back!!!! We missed you

Xerion The Fierced – #1 Ranger Extraordinary
“Beautiful, talented and unique.”
Velocity [VcY] – Somewhere roaming on Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by Xerion.8014)

Posted by: Alaric.3980

Alaric.3980

Solo in the way that I was having trouble doing quests without dying every few enemies. I was an Asura Elementalist and it wasn’t going well at all.

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

As an Ele, you are per design rather squishi so it forces you to learn the movement mechanics rather fast. Movement is your friend. GW2 does not work like other MMOs where you can just stand around and cast, that will absolutely get you killed here. Take your time, take single mobs and pay attention. Red circles on the ground mean AoE damage and must be doged out of. Large ouchie attacks are often telegraphed through animations, move out of them. Learning to dodge is hard at the beginning, but is required for later content.

If you want more survivability, I recomment Guardian or Warrior as starting character. You still have to learn to move, but these professions are more forgiving, especially at the start.

You also want to test different weapons. I see especially newbie Eles running around solo with staff. Staff is best when used in a group.

If you keep running into problems, you can always ask for guilds that take/teach newbies. This game has a very helpful community and you will find ingame a lot of people willing to share and show. =)

Posted by: Xerion.8014

Xerion.8014

You might have been playing on a level scale above your actualy level, as you might know all zones are seperated in different level scales. It can be overwhelming if you aren’t noticing that you are doing quests in a higher scaled part of the zone.

Or you where trying to complete an group event on your own. I admire your bravery for that.

Guild Wars 2 is ofcourse focused on group play. Even events are build around that. Starting grounds are ofcourse less populated then the higher ones.

I would suggest to focus on the solo aspect of doing the personal story together with completing every map you get in, doing all the Vistas, POI, hearts and skill points.
It’s what i did with my first character, i followed the story untill i got onto a point where the next story was a higher level then i was.
When that happend i went on completing the zone, doing the hearts etc, and tag all the events i come across. I did this untill i was 1-2 levels higher then my living story and i went on doing that.
For me this was a great way to learn the game and doing 2 things that are key to this game at the same time!

As Meluna stated, weapon choice is also important. Some weapons aren’t a good choice for completing quests solo.
Joining a guild that helps new players is a great solution aswell, you can still do everything solo, but if you get into some troubles you can ask your guild for some help!

Hope this helps a bit

Xerion The Fierced – #1 Ranger Extraordinary
“Beautiful, talented and unique.”
Velocity [VcY] – Somewhere roaming on Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by Xerion.8014)

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

Solo in the way that I was having trouble doing quests without dying every few enemies. I was an Asura Elementalist and it wasn’t going well at all.

Using the utility skill Glyph of Lesser Elementals and trying to keep the earth elemental up all the time in early levels as Elementalist nearly is a must I’d say. It will make a huge difference, turn impossible fights to easy ones, as the elemental reliably grabs the aggro, while you can do damage a/o give it some healing. Later when the traits are available and your vitality/toughness stats increase, another elemental like the fire one might be a better choice.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

GW2 isn’t like old MMOs where you just stand there and let the mobs hit you. You need to dodge and kite, especially on a elementalist. Someone should have pointed this out to you back when you were rage quitting…

And not everything comes from the cash shop. The gem store is full of knick knacks and things, but if you want content you need to look to the base game and to the living world (which is free if you just log in for 2 seconds).