Rolling alt : warrior/thief/guardian

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: woutterr.5974

woutterr.5974

Hey Guys ,

I need some help, my main is an elementalist, I love it but I want to try something else. I started a mesmer but I’m a little done with a magic caster kind of prof.

I decided I wanted to roll a melee class, I started a warrior but compared to my ele it feels like I’m just using as many skills as I can to get something killed. Now I am considering to roll a thief, which because of stealth and high hits is interesting in my opinion. I heard though that they are quite squishy in PvE and dungeons. I am not a big fan of a squishy class. Than there is the last option guardian, which in my mind is the least preferred choice because I want to do some burst damage.

So I like PvE and dungeons, I don’t like being squishy, I like burst damage. I wanted to roll a warrior because I like how it contributes in heavy dps in a dungeon, but it feels a bit boring when playing. It has to be challenging like my ele, but melee.

Last point, what race would you roll the class you would say fit me best and why!

So please tell me what you think would fit me best. I know the do whatever feels good reasoning, but I am asking you guys to tell me which class would fit me best and why you think that!

Thanks

Eras
Midnight Mayhem
Elementalist on Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

Warrior was my first 80…shelved since then due to being too easy (read: boring) for my overall tastes. It was a good way to learn about the game mechanics before moving on to harder professions but for me that was about it.

Elementalist was my second 80…you should know enough about that. Although, they are really squishy at times but a lot of fun to play.

Thief was my third 80…lots of fun with a difficulty between the Warrior and Ele. There’s lots of ways to mix it up when the actions become routine (like the ele) and he’s fast, very fast (at everything). I don’t find him very squishy though since part of the fun is staying away from damage so a mix between melee and ranged is a must as far as I’m concerned. Stealth is a fun mechanic to play around with and to see all the different types of situations that it can be used in.

All in all, I’d say go with a thief. The race doesn’t matter…it’s all a matter of personal preference. Except, it’s easy to jump around as an Asura so I could imagine an Asura Thief would be a blast.

IMO the Thief is the second most graceful profession to play next to mesmer.

This sentence is false.

woutterr.5974

very helpful answer!

How do you like playing a thief end game ? And do you feel like contributing in a dungeon?

Eras
Midnight Mayhem

Posted by: applekwisp.2139

applekwisp.2139

personally i think thief is the most boring class in the game. i would go with guardian, but that’s just my opinion.

BioFringe.7945

very helpful answer!

How do you like playing a thief end game ? And do you feel like contributing in a dungeon?

I might not be the best one to answer that in regards to absolute concrete info since “my” endgame tends to be a bit more casual. I see all my characters as being viable at the normal idea of GW2 endgame just depending on which one I feel like playing. On that note, I feel like playing my thief all the time and when I do, I have a lot of fun without any complaints from others.

I also don’t hear a lot of negativity about thieves in dungeons in general…it’s usually rather positive.

If you like the ele and you take the time to learn the thief (really learn) then I can’t possibly see you not enjoying yourself as well as being revered by others as a good thing to have in any group.

Just my own opinion of course so take it for what it’s worth to ya. If you have any questions while leveling a Warrior, Elementalist, Thief, Mesmer, or Engineer you are more than welcome to contact me ingame at any time.

This sentence is false.

(edited by BioFringe.7945)

BioFringe.7945

personally i think thief is the most boring class in the game. i would go with guardian, but that’s just my opinion.

And this is something that every player needs to figure out for themselves as it’s perfectly legit that one might love a particular class while another loathes it. Might just be a bit more helpful to provide some reasoning behind your opinion though as opinions are too commonplace otherwise.

This sentence is false.

woutterr.5974

I am sorry but this does not help me even a little bit. Could you try yo explain why you experience thief as boring and guardian as more fun?

Eras
Midnight Mayhem

Posted by: applekwisp.2139

applekwisp.2139

And this is something that every player needs to figure out for themselves as it’s perfectly legit that one might love a particular class while another loathes it. Might just be a bit more helpful to provide some reasoning behind your opinion though as opinions are too commonplace otherwise.

true, true, i was just being lazy haha. i don’t like the thief for a number of reasons. all of their weapon skills are straight forward and not interesting. all of the poisons are just boring utility skills in my opinion. the leather armor choices are so lacking in the game that nothing is visually appealing outside of of human female t3. in terms of dungeons i dont think i’ve ever seen a thief that has done anything useful that pretty much any class could do better. stealth heals are probably the only only thing, but that can be done with spy kits on any other class. when leveling, by the time you have all your weapon skills i feel like there’s nothing else really to look forward to aside from dagger storm in terms of the fun factor. also while leveling thieves are really good versus single targets, but if even one or two extra mobs join the battle, there’s really nothing you can do about it in terms of survivability. initiative seems like a poor class mechanic in my eyes (not that guardian virtues are all that interesting)

guardians on the other hand would have no problems leveling. they have interesting melee options that are all fun to play, but fairly weak ranged ones. virtues are passives are amusing, consecrations and symbols are fun and unique, and while leveling there was always that new skill/weapons/elite that i wanted to try out. heavy armor has more aesthetically pleasing options, and in the end guardians provide so much more utility to a dungeon group between heals, boons, shouts, projectile blocking, and just being a heavy presence. i suppose its just a matter of preference, but the thief just feels so linear, lacking, and straight forward to me while the guardian feels more dynamic and useful. of course this is just my opinion.

(edited by applekwisp.2139)

woutterr.5974

How does the dps of a guardian feel? Because my ele feels so sad in burst damage output 1vs1 !

Eras
Midnight Mayhem

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

There is not a lot of burst with the guardian but I find it such an enjoyable class. Warrior is the first level 80 for me and I still play it everyday but I find I am playing 5-6 characters very frequently. I am currently leveling a thief as well and I enjoy it for different reasons. I like that with the thief I can always escape a bad situation with the aggro drop from various stealths. It is rare that I get downed unless I am just being lazy.

I like all three, sorry I wasn’t probably much help. Maybe switch between the three and level them each a bit to see what they feel like. By level 20 you’ve pretty much learned as much as you need to know about a class to know if you enjoy it’s play style.

woutterr.5974

my warrior is 15 my guardian 10 I don’t have a thief yet but will roll one.

I will level them up to 20 and see which the first one is I will level up.

I like to have as much knowledge about a class as I can, because you guys rolled thieves, warriors and guardians you probably know which guides are the best!

Could you please link them!

Eras
Midnight Mayhem

BioFringe.7945

Leveling them up is the best way to tell. I had an Engineer and Mesmer that I was torn between so I created both, leveling them 5 at a time. When they both hit 20 I ended up deciding on the Mesmer and another 15 levels flew by before I even realized that my Engineer was officially shelved.

Sorry, I didn’t use any guides. Just the forum and wiki when needed but otherwise it was all trial and error for me.

This sentence is false.

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

Depends what you want end-game!
If you want WvWvW, then I would go for Guardian or Thief as the warrior is lacking in WvWvW (Guardian can give and take great amounts of damage and great team abilities, Thief is a master of 1v1/small group combat – both have several effective builds).
If your end-game is Fractals/Dungeons/PvE, then a warrior is awesome fun and will be welcome in any party.

So it is upto what you want to do…

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

Posted by: ItsThatAsianBoy.2095

ItsThatAsianBoy.2095

Warrior was originally my main, but once I got it to level 30 I got bored of it.
There really isn’t much to the class other than bash the skills until you kill the monster.
It’s good for beginners and getting used to the game, and for people who prefer less thinking.

Guardians is a more support version of the Warrior, I can’t really comment on them since I haven’t played them.

Thieves are really fun in my opinion, they’re a very versatile class and they can move fast which I like very much. I haven’t played much of the thief but after I get my necro to lvl 80 I’ll probably play the thief next.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I have an 80 of each. To me, Guardian feels the best all around for game play. Not for pure dps, she’s no star at that. But this game isn’t about the dps, it’s about staying alive long enough that the enemy dies instead and at that she excels. Plus there are so many different things you can do just by swapping out weapons and utilities.

My best RP is with my Thief; he’s my main and has been since before the BWE’s. Yet I find myself picking my Guardian for any dungeons or fractals, and in world PvE I have only a few buttons to repeatedly push on the Thief. I do use only him for my rare excursions into WvW seeing as how being able to escape is so valuable to me.

My Warrior is solid for survival (though notably squishier than my Guardian) and my best for dps. She’s also the most straightforward to play game mechanics wise, and thus a bit tedious over time.

I am not a super reflexes player, or a min-maxer. I know my Thief could be more effective in dungeons, my Warrior more flexible in action, even my Guardian tuned better to support and defend. If your skill level is high, the Thief might offer the most interest after all. At my more casual level, the Guardian won my heart. Since before the BWE’s I found Guardian the least exciting profession of them all, that’s saying something!

All three of them made 80 thanks to fun RP, though. It’s all in what makes a character fun for you to play. If you want non-squishy and useful in dungeons, Guardian all the way. /blesses group Stability versus Lt. Kohler

Posted by: Kearkeeth.5913

Kearkeeth.5913

I see a lot of people saying that warrior is uninteresting and boring, feeling like you mash skills and kill things. I main a warrior, and I find warrior has the most versatility over any class, if you need something done in a dungeon, whether its tanking or just straight dps, throw a warrior in there, or pair one with any other class, and the job gets done.
I find my warrior incredibly fun to play for the fact that you have 10 different weapons to choose from, whatever and however you feel like playing, you can swap your entire play style on the fly. Dual swords + longbow for incredible cond dmg, Hammer + dual maces for the most cc on any class in the entire game, or Greatsword + axe and mace, for the most dps in the game.
I also like the fact that warrior has so many physical skills, like Kick and Stomp, and also, each weapon has its own form of Crowd Control excluding Greatsword, but that is purely for dps, I really enjoy how using regen banners and rifle/longbow can make you seem like a support role, then whip out a high dps weapon eg. Greatsword, and still be very effective.
Warriors can also be tanky too, with several invuln skills, a passive regen, vit + toughness boosting, blocks, stuns, and knockdowns, and also several jumps and sprints, it doesn’t focus on directly taking dmg and healing back up like a guardian, but more on preventing the enemy from even hitting you in the first place.
Warrior was the first character I made, and I haven’t gotten bored of him yet, I even stopped and tried to level a guardian and a thief to 80, but I always come back to my warrior.
People will disagree, but if you enjoy ripping people apart with the highest controlled dps in the game, but still have the ability to support a teammate if he/she gets caught out of place or fill any role your team needs, then warrior is definitely for you.

TL;DR Warrior does everything except cast spells and stealth.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I heard though that they are quite squishy in PvE and dungeons. I am not a big fan of a squishy class.

Though somewhat squishy when hit, Thieves can be spec’d to avoid many (most) hits via dodging or stealth.