Rough time surviving heart of thrones solo

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Vstrom.8495

Vstrom.8495

New player. I have a guardian in elite gear and weapons. In the old content, it was much easier to run around and explore. The new content is much tougher. Obviously its not just wack a mole. I find I can be taken down very quickly at times 2-3 seconds.

I guess using combos in proper rotation and utility/elite skill is the answer? Any suggestions on rotation or anything else I can do? I this the right path?

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

By “elite gear” you mean exotic or ascended?
What is the stats of your gear? Berserker, Soldiers, Knights … ?
Can you show what traits and weapons you are using?

But in general, HoT maps are indeed harder than the regular ones, which doesn’t mean much, so yeah … you need to play better and pick your fights, like I was able to solo all the HoT story with every class except mesmer and eng (I didn’t try those yet), but I know I can’t solo a group event or kill a champion solo.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Vstrom.8495

Vstrom.8495

Sorry, just exotic Berserker, weapons are Berserker as well. I am having a hard time with those little baby raptors or frogs, or those shape shifting things or tigers you name it. If there are 2 or more..

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

You are running full glass cannon build, for that you need to play on the highest skill to keep alive.
Try to get some defensive traits or those asc. zerk/valk trinkets to rise a bit your HP but keep the damage.

BTW, for those raptors, AoE is the key.
Shape shifting? I’ll guess you mean the smokecales, if so, cond damage is the solution.
The “frogs” are quite hard indeed, if you are out numbered, just run haha
Tigers? You really have issues of those?

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

As someone who finished the HoT story for the first time recently (on Guard/DH), I certainly can understand your concern. But yes, its possible.

Most important thing is to have a coherent build that you’re comfortable with. It does not need to be ‘meta’ (though taking inspiration from them is useful), just coherent and works well for you.

In my case it was a more defensive, group setup (a variant of what I used to run in WvW). Things may take a little longer, sure, but they still die at a decent pace. My take on it was to partially focus on keeping the NPC party alive and buffed too, just like I would in a WvW situation. Surprised that it worked so well, really, but at the final two steps (due to lack of NPCs) I had to re-jigger things several times to get past some rough spots.

Have every weapon handy, and sigil’d in a way they’ll work in combos you’re happy with. I got away with having the ‘lesser’ ones as rare (my four main ones are exotic), and did fine. My only Ascended items are Mawdrey (set to Soldier stats) and the other 5 ‘trinket’ slots; I switch those out among 2-3 main stat sets as needed.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If you’re just trying to run from Point A to Point B, channel your inner Metal Gear Solid and try to avoid getting aggro in the first place. The most notable mobs to avoid are those that have access to gap closing skills (e.g. Smoke scales) or those with high speed (e.g. pocket raptors). Fortunately pocket raptors have very low hp can can be killed fairly quickly.

Edit: grammar

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: CadeRG.4508

CadeRG.4508

If you’re just trying to run from Point A to Point B, channel your inner Metal Gear Solid and try to avoid getting aggro in the first place. The most notable mobs to avoid are those that have access to gap closing skills such as smoke scales are those with high speed such as pocket raptors. Fortunately pocket raptors have very low hp can can be killed fairly quickly.

Also the Rolling Devils that chase you across the map.

Vaulting daredevil leap frog teef of AoE destruction

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If you’re just trying to run from Point A to Point B, channel your inner Metal Gear Solid and try to avoid getting aggro in the first place. The most notable mobs to avoid are those that have access to gap closing skills such as smoke scales are those with high speed such as pocket raptors. Fortunately pocket raptors have very low hp can can be killed fairly quickly.

Also the Rolling Devils that chase you across the map.

Yep. Those are others that fall under the high speed. If I aggro one of them, and take damage, I usually just kill them as it’s quicker than trying to lose aggro.