Salvage or sell items ?

Salvage or sell items ?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: JoffreyDePeyrac.7425

JoffreyDePeyrac.7425

Q:

Hello,

I am pretty new to Guild Wars 2, this game excites me a lot ! I am playing about a week and my lvl is 27, I am a kind of roly player, so I am enjoying the story line and living world so much ..

My main question is…. I have some stuff from drops and that bags from champions, in wich i found some “good” items too. What is the best decision to do witch them please ? Is it better to sell them or salvage them for material ?

Thanks for reply and sorry for bad english.

Salvage or sell items ?

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

A:

It really depends on what you want.

Salvaging blue and higher gear can give you materials, luck, runes/sigils.
Some items you find you might actually be able to use, like a weapon with better stats.
Selling the items can net you some gold.

So what it comes down to, is what you you need/want the most? The drops you get get better with higher levels and what I tend to do is:
When I level a new char, I sell anything white, salvage anything blue or above (rare/exotic too, unless they are worth more then 30 silver on the tp)
For a max level char like my main, I salvage everything too but I save rare and above weapons to try my luck in the Mystic Forge.
Even for me this does not always go as planned, depending on what I need. If I were to need Ecto’s, I would salvage rare and above for a chance for those items.

Salvage or sell items ?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I go through a 3-step process to decide what to do with items.

1) Can I use it? At lower levels I get most of my gear from drops, so I’ll use anything with a higher armor/damage rating than what I’m currently using and don’t worry too much about the stats. At higher levels I’m more picky.

2) Can I sell it on the Trading Post? I check the price and if I’d get more that way than selling it to a merchant (after taxes – using the ‘projected profit’ value) then I sell it.

3) Do I want the materials more than the money? The answer here is almost always yes, because between the crafting materials and the chance at luck from green and blue items it’s usually better to salvage it.

There are some exceptions, for example rare items almost always sell for far more than the merchant value on the TP, but I always salvage them because at the moment I need the ecoplasm more than the money.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Salvage or sell items ?

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Early in the game you need gold so the best thing to do (if you can’t use it) is to sell it on the TP for the best price you can get.

Later on, you might want to improve your chances of getting the really juicy drops so you want to boost your magic find rating by salvaging greens/blues.

Whether to salvage exotics or rares is always a fine choice but like I said, early on you need cash – so sell ’em.

As for materials from salvaging – these are rarely worth it in my experience unless you REALLY know what to salvage for what material and it’s current value etc.
Crafting itself is a gold sink. Unless you have excess gold and are levelling an alt, it’s best avoided.

Salvage or sell items ?

Posted by: cooperjer.6180

cooperjer.6180

I go through a 3-step process to decide what to do with items.

1) Can I use it? At lower levels I get most of my gear from drops, so I’ll use anything with a higher armor/damage rating than what I’m currently using and don’t worry too much about the stats. At higher levels I’m more picky.

2) Can I sell it on the Trading Post? I check the price and if I’d get more that way than selling it to a merchant (after taxes – using the ‘projected profit’ value) then I sell it.

3) Do I want the materials more than the money? The answer here is almost always yes, because between the crafting materials and the chance at luck from green and blue items it’s usually better to salvage it.

There are some exceptions, for example rare items almost always sell for far more than the merchant value on the TP, but I always salvage them because at the moment I need the ecoplasm more than the money.

I would add a forth step. If the rare or exotic item sells for more than the glob of ectoplasm then sell the item. However; you may want to consider a multiplier to the glob price because I’ve recieved between 1 and 3 globs from one rare or exotic item.

Salvage or sell items ?

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

Be careful there. The projected profit only reduces the 10% tax for selling an item. You still need to remove the 5% fee for posting an item.

Salvage or sell items ?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Be careful there. The projected profit only reduces the 10% tax for selling an item. You still need to remove the 5% fee for posting an item.

That’s not what I’ve found when testing it. For an example see the screenshot attached.

I’m selling 1 Omnomberry bar for 4s 27c.
I’m given a listing fee of 22c, and a projected profit of 3s 84c.

That doesn’t add up. If it was only subtracting the listing fee it would show a projected profit of 4s and 5c.

I’ve also tested it with actual sales. I sell a minor rune for 18c and the projected profit is 16c. If I don’t sell anything else in the meantime what appears in my pickup tab is 16c.

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Salvage or sell items ?

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

That’s not what I’ve found when testing it. For an example see the screenshot attached.

I’m selling 1 Omnomberry bar for 4s 27c.
I’m given a listing fee of 22c, and a projected profit of 3s 84c.

That doesn’t add up. If it was only subtracting the listing fee it would show a projected profit of 4s and 5c.

I’ve also tested it with actual sales. I sell a minor rune for 18c and the projected profit is 16c. If I don’t sell anything else in the meantime what appears in my pickup tab is 16c.

You need to pay the listing fee right away. This is why your returned money equals the projected profit.

If you sell something on the trading post, you need to pay two fees. First a 5% listing fee, that you cannot get back even after removing your item from the trading post again. Then you need to pay an additional 10% fee after you actually sold the item.
The projected profit only displays what you get back after selling the item (sell price – 10%). It does not take into account, that you also have to pay the 5% listing fee.

If you do the maths on your example, it works out exactly. The sell price (before taxes) is 4s 27c. The projected profit is 3s 84c = 90% * 4s 27c (after rounding). But on top of this, you need to pay the 22c listing fee. Watch your money when listing an item and you can see that.