Secondary Power Set?

Secondary Power Set?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

I have never played Guild Wars 1. I might have downloaded it once long ago and made a character there but in turth I have never played the game.

I heard from a friend who played it said you could choose a secondary power set in that game. I tried to find out more from the GW1 wiki page. But I just cannot understand what it was about – may be simply because I have never once played that game properly before.

Even though I have some vague ideas about what it is, but can someone tell me something more specific about it please? Can that machanism be implemented in Guild Wars 2? Just to make things more interesting, I suppose.

Many thanks!

Secondary Power Set?

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Secondary power set? I assume they meant the fact that you multi class. Basically you wound have your starting class and then you could pick a another class after a certain point. You end up with their skills and some of their attributes but not their primary one and still have to use your first classes armour and runes. For example you could be an Elementalist/Monk. You would have both elementalist and monk skills but would miss out on being able to invest in the Divine Favor stat which increase the effectiveness and duration of buffs and heals.

Guild Wars 1 had that from the start and that was how it was designed to be but I don’t think such a system would work in Guild Wars 2. It doesn’t seem to have been designed with that in mind and they would have to rebalance everything. In GW1 each class had it’s own attributes and you had a limited pool to invest with so it would be easier to balance than in GW2 where every class uses the same stats.

Edit: added more detail

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Secondary Power Set?

Oh My God.8423

Secondary power set? I assume they meat the fact that you multi class. basically you wound have your starting class and then you could pick a another class after a certain point and you end up with there skills and some of their attributes but not their primary one. For example you could be an Elementalist/Monk

Guild Wars 1 had that from the start and that was how it was designed to be but I don’t think such a system would work in Guild Wars 2. It doesn’t seem to have been designed with that in mind and they would have to rebalance everything.

Thanks. That is similar to how I understand it.

Nevertheless, it would interesting to see it in this game.

Secondary Power Set?

Posted by: cephiroth.6182

cephiroth.6182

They once said™ that the secondary profession system was causing the most balancing trouble. That trouble was the reason why we wouldn’t have a secondary profession in GW2 anymore.

Secondary Power Set?

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Imagine a thief mesmer. Or a guardian thief! Insane active mitigation and tankiness, combined with extreme mobility and dmg. Oh lawdy!

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Secondary Power Set?

Oh My God.8423

They once said™ that the secondary profession system was causing the most balancing trouble. That trouble was the reason why we wouldn’t have a secondary profession in GW2 anymore.

Was the secondary profession in GW1 causing a major issue in balancing?

Secondary Power Set?

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Was the secondary profession in GW1 causing a major issue in balancing?

Yes.
Balance all the combinations of classes and skills is really hard.
When releasing a new assassin skill for example most of the tests are with an assassin using it, but later they can find that a ritualist/assassin could exploit it and end being OP, and so on.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Secondary Power Set?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

GW2 does not have 2nd classes like GW1 did.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances