Sell unidentified dyes or ID them first?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Bloodlust.3672

Bloodlust.3672

Is it better to sell unidentified dyes or ID them first? Which way can get more coin on average?

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

Selling the unidentified right now is about 11 silver and climbing last I checked. Most common and uncommon dyes seem to go for a few copper(which is what you get most often). I’d sell the unidentified.

Posted by: Rannug.2731

Rannug.2731

I asked that question myself.. guess it’s a gamble. The price of a black dye is over 7G right now, that would be ~700 silver. For 700 silver you get about 64 unidentified dyes. Can there be a black among 64?

Posted by: Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

The price of all dyes are rising along with the unidentified ones.

I was buying common dye for 22-25 copper a piece a few days ago (for mystic forging) and now they are 33-35 copper (minimum). And I mean the highest buy order, not the lowest sell order.

However, seeing as the unidentifed are spiking very fast, I’d suggest selling it or holding on to it as an investment. The price went up 3 silver in the last 2 days. Pretty safe to say it’s going to keep going up until something changes in the droprates or the recipe involving the dye.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Its an ingame slot machine. Either chance at getting white and mdinight dys (like I have several times) or risk getting common dyes for dirt copper. Its up to you tbh.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

The advantage to selling dyes in their unidentified form is that you can charge a uniform price for them, and charge significantly more than many of the less rare or less popular colors.

You’ll charge less than the more popular and rarer colors, of course, but since there are fewer of those, you’ll come out ahead in the long run.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I have yet been able to sell an unidentified dye. I just can’t help myself and end up opening them every time. :/ I’ve gotten some decent dyes out of it though, including abyss twice but I didn’t sell them.

Posted by: LithePanther.5027

LithePanther.5027

Definetely sell them right now. Massive money-making potential. You’ll lose money if you ID them all hoping for rates unless you’re exceptionally lucky.

I personally am not. So I don’t even bother xD.

I was still IDing them for blue dyes when they reached 8-9s. Such a waste.

80 Guardian. 80 Warrior. 80 Thief. 80 Engineer. 80 Necromancer. 80 Ranger.

Posted by: Rannug.2731

Rannug.2731

answer: it’s a gamble

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

i keep telling myself it would make much more sense to sell un id’d and buy the colors I want. I just can’t get past the curiosity when I get one though. So i have a lot of unlocked colors I’ll never use because it just wasn’t worth selling once I id’d it

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

A good rule of thumb I have followed is thus:

If 250 unidentified dyes costs less than the value of the best dye you can get out of those 250 unidentified dyes (Abyss), then it is worth it to open them. Otherwise, it is worth it to sell them.

Ever since they hard nerfed the drop rates, it has been far more worth it to sell them.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

depends on your risk appetite.

that being said, sellign unID dyes have a pretty decent return now, and you find them for “free”, so might as well sell them. chances to get a dye over their current rate is rather slim, personally i feel.

at the same time, i’m going for collecting all dyes, so i open all of mine regardless. :pp

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Same. Although it would make better financial sense to sell all my unid dyes at their current price, I want to at least get a good spread of colours on my characters so I can at least know what colours look like on armor before deciding what to buy. When it gets to the stage where I’m getting duplicates every 1 out of 2 dyes, then I’ll change strategies and start selling.

Posted by: Mighty Assasin.3816

Mighty Assasin.3816

Always open them!

Lite
The Prestige [pTg]
Twitch.tv/Lite_lite

Posted by: Ark.2013

Ark.2013

Always open them!

^^FTW
got a celestial dye (pure white), one of the most sought after, on my new lvl 6 avatar, not even gonna sell it for the 8 gold, its epic so im gonna keep it

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

I have yet been able to sell an unidentified dye. I just can’t help myself and end up opening them every time. :/ I’ve gotten some decent dyes out of it though, including abyss twice but I didn’t sell them.

I know, right? I have so many I am starting to get repeats on this toon

LithePanther.5027

Always open them!

^^FTW
got a celestial dye (pure white), one of the most sought after, on my new lvl 6 avatar, not even gonna sell it for the 8 gold, its epic so im gonna keep it

I’ve opened 1000 un-ID’d dyes and gotten nothing worth more then 15s. Some people are lucky, and some are not. I will never open another dye again unless they drop way down again. I’d rather just buy them guaranteed.

Posted by: BuddhaWrath.5073

BuddhaWrath.5073

Always open them!

^^FTW

I’ve opened 1000 un-ID’d dyes and gotten nothing worth more then 15s. Some people are lucky, and some are not. I will never open another dye again unless they drop way down again. I’d rather just buy them guaranteed.

I’ve opened maybe 30 dyes and received 4 that were worth over 5g. I’ll hold on to them though. Seems like I have luck when opening dyes, however chests are another story. My chest rate is similar to your dye rate.

Main: Gradius Xon Maverick [Frostfang]
Archon Brigade [ARC], Guild Leader
80’s: Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Ranger, Engineer

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Black dye shouldn’t cost as much as it does. It’s just a neutral color. Not worth 3 days’ farming :/

On another note, just sell the unID’d dye.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

LithePanther.5027

Black and Whites will always be the most expensive because they go with nearly every other color while still looking good.

Posted by: Rainzar.6905

Rainzar.6905

Don’t Bet Against the House. sell them.