ShadowPlay-Type Vid Capture for Windowed Mode

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Akeldama.4738

Akeldama.4738

What is a good video capture software that offers an NVIDIA ShadowPlay-style recording option (stream-store/save last X minutes of play) that can be used while playing in Windowed Screen Mode?

– [Phalanx Formation] Jade Quarry Guard
“Ah, the mind of an irrational gamer, where injustice abounds.”

Posted by: Aro.8275

Aro.8275

http://obsproject.com may be what you’re looking for.
You can save from a replay buffer among other things. Also, free.

Posted by: Akeldama.4738

Akeldama.4738

I’ve tried this in the past but am now currently giving it another go based on your recommendation. Is this something that you currently use? If so I’m curious about some of your settings, such as whether you save the file types as FLV or MP4, your preferred bitrates and encoder, etc. I don’t know why but the success rate of saving the replay buffer seems to be very hit and miss and after starting/stopping replay buffer a few times OBS crashes. Any thoughts or experiences similar to this?

– [Phalanx Formation] Jade Quarry Guard
“Ah, the mind of an irrational gamer, where injustice abounds.”

Posted by: Aro.8275

Aro.8275

Don’t use the replay buffer at all, only recording and used to stream but 360p aint good for that.

Use FLV due to some crashes (not OBS, surprisingly hasn’t crashed much) as it can be recovered from an interrupted/unclosed file. Doesn’t take too long to convert back to MP4 with ffmpeg. Anything free I tried to use to recover those mp4 files never worked.

AAC 320, x264, 12000 kbps, 720p. 1 hour is about 6gb. Would go higher quality but Lightworks free only supports 720 and a reduced bitrate so it’s worked for me. Have older versions of Vegas and Pinnacle but they are just old and don’t really like win8.