Should i roll a guardian or keep with my thief?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lordryux.9785

Lordryux.9785

just asking a question i like thief and how it works but in terms of pve? ive been hearing that thief isnt so good like oh say actual farming or farming in orr? but wat my question is any thiefs out thier actually have good success >? or should i roll a guardian for just all around farming dungeons and WvW?

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

I very rarely hear or see in chat “Boy I wish this dungeon group had a thief.” The opposite is true of guardians. Apparently tanks are still very much a part of this game.

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

Posted by: Llywellyn.4635

Llywellyn.4635

I very rarely hear or see in chat “Boy I wish this dungeon group had a thief.” The opposite is true of guardians. Apparently tanks are still very much a part of this game.

i wouldnt generalize that
yesterday we have cleared CoF (all 3 paths) without a tank in our group
it all went pretty good, you just have to do things a little different

and to reply to OP
you should not think about playing a guardian because everyone needs a tank or whatever
if the class is interessting to you then try it… you will see if you like it or not
there are many nice builds for the guardian but dont think of playing a class because of statements like, “yeah there is always a need for a guardian” or “the guardians never go down in pvp” and so on…

the guardian is not the “uber-class” that so many people think

sorry for any grammer and/or spelling mistakes
english isnt my native language

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Probably because CoF is one of the easiest dungeons (except path 3, but still easy with coordination).

I think theif tends to be a bit more oriented towards PvP, but that’s not to say it doesn’t come in handy in dungeons. The group stealths and aoe blinds, poison, and bleeds still apply to dungeons. Just don’t build backstab and you’re okay.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Reevac.1748

Reevac.1748

Me and my guildies do dungeons daily. We don’t run with a warrior or a guardian. We usually run with Necro, thief, engineer, Elementalist, and Mesmer or another engineer.

I’d say the one big benefit of a guardian/Warrior is the ability to pull mobs to them, so all the aoe casters can go crazy.

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

I play an Eng and Guardian. When farming in orr you just have to be aware of what is around you and that there will be many time you cannot use skills that vault you in a direction because you will aggro mobs.

For example I do not use my rifle on my eng in orr because there are to many skills that will land me or my mob in aggro zone and I will be fighting more then I expected.

I notice they groups that “NEED” a certain class like a guardian are group that just do not work together. No one in the group caring what anyone is doing just if its red its dead mentality. I love getting in groups where everyone knows what they are doing and adjust to the situation. it does not matter the class.

So play your thief if you enjoy it. as I would gladly go farming in or with you. I am certain we would have zero issues once we get a feel for each others style.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

No. I decided to level up a Guardian to play with my brother who was leveling a warrior. It was a miserable experience coming from a playing a thief.

First of all Guardians are slooooooow. You can eventually get retreat for a decent swiftness boost, but the recharge is twice as long as the buff. The switness symbol from staff is just bad. You will feel like you are playing the game in slow motion.

IMO, none of the offhands really stand out. And as much as you may want to, it’s really hard to justify a weapon besides greatsword. If you can find a viable build and setup for another weapon set people will think you don’t know what you’re doing.

You are would essentially be trading a thief’s utility and active combat style for a clumsy, slow character that’s experience includes 80 levels of: swing gs, swing gs, set bad guy on fire, swing gs.

If that’s how you want to get down, then I guess go for it. Some people might find that fun. But I found myself beating my head on desk in boredom wishing the character didn’t take forever to do anything and had more engaging combat options. Thank god for 30 levels from crafting.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Llywellyn.4635

Llywellyn.4635

Probably because CoF is one of the easiest dungeons (except path 3, but still easy with coordination).

I think theif tends to be a bit more oriented towards PvP, but that’s not to say it doesn’t come in handy in dungeons. The group stealths and aoe blinds, poison, and bleeds still apply to dungeons. Just don’t build backstab and you’re okay.

CoF was just an example… pretty sure we can do any dungeon without a warrior or guardian…

didnt Anet say something about that there is no need for a determined group compilation like tank, dd and healer? and that you can do any dungeon with any type of classes you want?

sorry for any grammer and/or spelling mistakes
english isnt my native language

Posted by: Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

Nels the Cornwhisperer.8025

I actively play a Ranger, Elementalist, and Mesmer. I’ve played a thief to 80, and kept him around for about two months, but got sick of him. I’ve played a guardian for about 50 levels before I decided I’d try my hand at a sword/shield warrior that I prefer.

Here’s success in a nutshell for a thief:
PvE, Shortbow, spam 2.
WvW, Shortbow, spam 2.
PvP, Dagger, spam 2.

Here’s what I got from the guardian in 50 levels:
PvE, any, Press buttons.
WvW, any, Press buttons.
PvP, any, Press buttons.

So, Thief Pros:
Pretty simple to play at a basic level. All you need is a 2 spamming appendage of some sort. You could use your nose, it’s that simple.
Gets a lot more fun if you take the initiative to use your initiative.

Thief Cons:
Looks stupid, all the time, no matter what. Always trying to wear ranger armor.
Can be incredibly boring, especially in the zerg.
Everyone cries about you.

Guardian Pros:
Everyone thinks you’re a healer, until they realize that you’re not.
Everyone thinks you’re a tank, until they realize that you’re not.
Everyone thinks they want you around, until they realize that they don’t.
A day or two of grief in LA, as we could move NPCs around.

Guardian cons:
You’re not really a group healer. Stupid people will die, and blame you.
You’re not really a tank. Stupid people will die, and blame you.
You’re not really good for anything. Elementalists do better support, warriors do better control, everyone does the same or better damage, and everyone sucks just as bad at tanking.
You’re very slow. If you’re used to a fast profession, you have been warned.
You look incredibly stupid. Stupider than the thief. All heavy armor looks terrible, and there’s no way to fix it.

How far that little candle throws its beams!
So shines a good deed in a naughty world.
- William Shakespear

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

I play a thief and a mesmer, both lvl 80 both can handle Orr. I tried to play a guardian, got it to lvl 68 then deleted it. I just found it so boring, compared to a thief or caster class that is. Also, I spend alot of time in dungeons, mainly helping people who need story, but most of the time the group is all pug and sometimes without a heavy armored character with us and it goes rather well actually. Same goes for explore modes as well, just depends on the people in the group.

Back to the point, I really don’t see an actual need for X class over any other in this game. I’ve seen thieves tank better than some guardians, I’ve seen mesmers tank better than some heavies. Just my thoughts, back to my coffee now..

Posted by: ryan.5106

ryan.5106

I have a lvl 80 guardian, I love it and i’m having trouble picking an alt because of that. On the downside, guardians can be a bit “slow” but we have lots of gap closers. Ranged abilities with the guardian are kinda shoddy, but hey when i’m in a dungeon going toe to toe with Lt. Bunholio, range is a moot point. Survivability and group support are really ingrained in the guardian. That’s not to say you can’t build a high dps glass cannon with them, but the options are always there.

I haven’t played the thief much, but from what i have played they are fun and frantic and most of their abilities seem to be centered around them being virtually impossible to hit because of all the evasion skills. Thieves are very bouncy! They also have much better options for range than the guardian does.

So in a sense, both classes are extremely versatile in their respective spheres. The only real issue i have with the thief however is that the stealth abilities can sometimes glitch out and reset the mob that you’re fighting >: / and that makes for a lot of frustration if you’re in the wrong area.

Posted by: ryan.5106

ryan.5106

I actively play a Ranger, Elementalist, and Mesmer. I’ve played a thief to 80, and kept him around for about two months, but got sick of him. I’ve played a guardian for about 50 levels before I decided I’d try my hand at a sword/shield warrior that I prefer.

Here’s success in a nutshell for a thief:
PvE, Shortbow, spam 2.
WvW, Shortbow, spam 2.
PvP, Dagger, spam 2.

Here’s what I got from the guardian in 50 levels:
PvE, any, Press buttons.
WvW, any, Press buttons.
PvP, any, Press buttons.

So, Thief Pros:
Pretty simple to play at a basic level. All you need is a 2 spamming appendage of some sort. You could use your nose, it’s that simple.
Gets a lot more fun if you take the initiative to use your initiative.

Thief Cons:
Looks stupid, all the time, no matter what. Always trying to wear ranger armor.
Can be incredibly boring, especially in the zerg.
Everyone cries about you.

Guardian Pros:
Everyone thinks you’re a healer, until they realize that you’re not.
Everyone thinks you’re a tank, until they realize that you’re not.
Everyone thinks they want you around, until they realize that they don’t.
A day or two of grief in LA, as we could move NPCs around.

Guardian cons:
You’re not really a group healer. Stupid people will die, and blame you.
You’re not really a tank. Stupid people will die, and blame you.
You’re not really good for anything. Elementalists do better support, warriors do better control, everyone does the same or better damage, and everyone sucks just as bad at tanking.
You’re very slow. If you’re used to a fast profession, you have been warned.
You look incredibly stupid. Stupider than the thief. All heavy armor looks terrible, and there’s no way to fix it.

QQ there crybaby.

Posted by: Ziggurat.8261

Ziggurat.8261

Don’t listen to anyone who says thieves aren’t useful.

In dungeons, I die the least. I blind, and interrupt quite a bit (I go with sword/pistol and shortbow) and with proper dodging and stealthing at the right times, it is easy to survive.

Stealth rezzing is incredibly useful. I play with friends as well as pugs, and I have saved a group from a wipe through using blinding powder, rezzing two people undetected, and then shadow refuge, doing the same thing.

A thief can make the difference between a wipe and a win. Other classes can too, but when people mess up, you are the one who saves them. Other classes can do resurrects too, but only one, and maybe a long cooldown)}

Don’t forget kiting. One thing that sticks out in my mind is the spider bomb fight in TA story. I was the only one who could kite and stay alive, so I had to kite for a decent amount of time while they ran back. Make fun of shortbows all you want, but it is really good during that fight, as a good example. As well as utilizing shadowstep.