So, I'm completely new to the game

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: shackledfury.3568

shackledfury.3568

What drew me into the game was PvP. I visited the Structured PvP forum and it’s just like every other mmo. People complaining about imbalances. It’s to be expected. Balancing a game like this is a lot harder than it looks since there is a PvE and PvP audience and you can’t please one side without making the other angry. What my main questions are: Which classes are the most overpowered, and which classes counter which?

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Classes don’t really counter other classes. Builds of various classes will counter builds of other classes. Just depends upon the build.

At the moment, people think everything except ranges is OP in some form or another. Just depends upon how you look at things.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Just play a Warrior for Spvp. You won’t have to overthink things much then.

As for counters, that would take a lot to explain since classes can just change their builds to counter certain things.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

Ok, there is not Rock-Paper-Siccors system in this game, well it might be at some point. The diversity of the builds (which might not be too great, but might be wide if you’re not aiming only at max burst damage) makes it more complicated resulting in more complex system of what beats what. Some classes are better witch one or another. the class is only as good as the player is (if you’re going for PvP don’t start with Ranger or Necromancer, save them for last) Just choose a prof, search google for builds or make your one. Its not easy to discover a great build that suits you. Try balancing it around the mechanics you like the most and it will work out for you. For example I do not like 5 second clashes, I like more long battles and sometimes when i go to PvP my build is allowing me to have long battles. Some people like bursting down enemy in 5 seconds. Aim for you “role” and playstyle, do not just go for killing.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

At the start of the game it was very rock paper scissors in which team had the most thieves to spam dancing daggers.

As for balance people are complaining about warrior because of healing signet (which is actually not 1 of the problems).

If you really want a tier list for pvp.

Mesmers, Thieves and Warriors are probably at the top currently.

Eles recently had their traits nerfed/moved around and are in a bad place currently.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

The game is relatively balanced if you look at classbalance only (in pvp that is not sure about pve).

There are some abbilities traits and even entire builds that are somewhat broken or really easy to play. But you can never elliminate that completely since we are talking about an MMO after all. The game could use some balancing in terms of risk/reward (some high impact abbilities are too easy to land for example).

The only class that is relatively weak now is ele. Other classes are all good in their own ways. Some are better support, others are better 1v1’s or bursters etc.

So before i can give you advice on what class (+build) to play; what you are looking for in a class/profession?

(edited by Locuz.2651)

Posted by: shackledfury.3568

shackledfury.3568

The game is relatively balanced if you look at classbalance only (in pvp that is not sure about pve).

There are some abbilities traits and even entire builds that are somewhat broken or really easy to play. But you can never elliminate that completely since we are talking about an MMO after all. The game could use some balancing in terms of risk/reward (some high impact abbilities are too easy to land for example).

The only class that is relatively weak now is ele. Other classes are all good in their own ways. Some are better support, others are better 1v1’s or bursters etc.

So before i can give you advice on what class (+build) to play; what you are looking for in a class/profession?

Well, I tend to play warriors and assassins the most. So, warrior/thief is what I’ll be playing most likely. As for builds, you lost me there.

Posted by: zargnath.9524

zargnath.9524

If you want to find some nice guides/builds you should check out http://intothemists.com/. It is a great site for both finding guides and making your own builds.

Gnarl Blackfur – Charr ranger
Bob – Four legged shapeshifter
HeXagonis [HeX]

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Well, I tend to play warriors and assassins the most.

Yep, this guy is gonna be fine.

Posted by: Rallad.3802

Rallad.3802

Have a look at each class, and play the one that strikes you most. If you pick an ‘op’ class- it might get nerfed… And also, if you play a less op class- welldone, you’ll be actually learning how to play faster.

spvpwise
current ‘op’ classes: warriors, necros
current ‘up’ class: ele (still very fun to use, and not THAT up imo)

Posted by: Grimibis.8512

Grimibis.8512

What drew me into the game was PvP. I visited the Structured PvP forum and it’s just like every other mmo. People complaining about imbalances. It’s to be expected. Balancing a game like this is a lot harder than it looks since there is a PvE and PvP audience and you can’t please one side without making the other angry. What my main questions are: Which classes are the most overpowered, and which classes counter which?

Do you have a Skype? I would love to help you out and answer any questions you may have. Add me on Skype – luisownyou@ymail.com

Message me ingame @ Grimibis.8512
Skype @ luisownyou@ymail.com
Steam @ Grimibis