So Torn...Guardian, Ranger or Thief?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Starbird.4029

Starbird.4029

Q:

So I’ve tried to get into GW2 a few times and generally fail. Why? Well, because I am extremely indecisive and end up trying to play several classes simultaneously, burn out and quit.

And…the pattern is repeating itself already. I’ve narrowed it down to these three and would love some input on which one to take to max. Currently have all at level 10ish.

I like:
- Being tanky and having an easy time leveling.
- Cool armor sets (especially coats and flowing things, not so much plate).
- Being good at soloing things.
- ‘Lazy’ classes (in that they require a bit of engagement but I don’t need to concentrate all the time. I don’t mind a small challenge, but I’m not trying to play Dark Souls here).

I don’t like:
- PvP.
- Big clunky armor.
- Pets and pet management.
- Dying often.

Ranger:
+ Easy to level with by the looks of it.
+ Snazzy looking armor sets.
- Longbow has crappy AOE, shortbow feels crappy overall.
- Very squishy in melee.
- I seem to take ages to kill anything.

Thief:
+ Best visuals and ‘feel’ by a long way.
+ Ditto armor for ranger.
- I die if a similarly leveled mob sneezes on me.
- Feels like I’m going to hate leveling the thing.
- Feels like I’m going to die constantly later (I’m okay at dodging things but don’t want to have to pay 100% attention at all times).

Guardian:
+ Feels great to wade into melee and not immediately die.
+ Greatsword looks spectacular.
- I feel slow hoofing it around.
- Apparently in higher end PvE I’m not going to be using a greatsword.
- Armor is icky, aside from two sets I’ve seen (one being a gem purchase, one being a cool silvery thing that has a feather motif…that nobody seems willing to tell me about).

Any help would be appreciated.

(edited by Starbird.4029)

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

A:

Thief is squishy melee, definitely not for everyone.
Guardian will never let you down, it’s enjoyable all the time.
Ranger is great if you like your profession mechanic being useless.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Guardian:
- Armor is icky, aside from two sets I’ve seen (one being a gem purchase, one being a cool silvery thing that has a feather motif…that nobody seems willing to tell me about).

Guardians and Mesmers are two of the classes that have no innate speed buff options (traits or signets), you can get around that with superior traveler runes, but they’re pricey and weaken your stats slightly.

Where in the world did you get the impression that Guardians don’t use greatswords in higher level PvE?

Are you talking about the Ceremonial Plated Armor by any chance? That’s actually an Outfit that goes in the outfit slot, any class can wear it but it has limited color channels and no mix-n-match options.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

There are more interesting builds to play with than just a GS guardian, I specc’d my first guard to use one of the torch builds and it works nicely. Then I’m building another for GS for other options.

But don’t only look at one build or only the meta, play around with the builds. I’ve ended up making 2 guards, 1 ranger, 1 thief. The thief was the harder of the 3 for me to level up.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Starbird.4029

Guardian:

Guardians and Mesmers are two of the classes that have no innate speed buff options (traits or signets), you can get around that with superior traveler runes, but they’re pricey and weaken your stats slightly.

Where in the world did you get the impression that Guardians don’t use greatswords in higher level PvE?

Are you talking about the Ceremonial Plated Armor by any chance? That’s actually an Outfit that goes in the outfit slot, any class can wear it but it has limited color channels and no mix-n-match options.

Nah it wasn’t that one. I think it was a mix of Protectors and Draconic or something.

…That Nightmare Court armor is about the only really sexy plate thing I’ve seen and without some sort of group finder I doubt I’ll be getting in there any time this year :|. Sigh, so new to this game and everyone seems so kitten geared already.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think you’re over thinking things a bit.

Yes, ranger has terrible aoe on a longbow, but aoe is not the Ranger’s intended play style. They can be squishy in melee mode, but I don’t have too much of an issue with a greatsword, it’s all about movement. Short bow is more of a condi build, so it’s not going to necessarily feel as strong. Pets don’t require a whole lot of management if you don’t want to. Just pick a slightly more tanky pet (like a pig) and have at it.

Thief, to me, is a lot more squishy than ranger. Mobility is super important on this class. If you want a a class that you can e lazy on, this is definitely not it.

I can see your gripe on heavy armor. There aren’t really many I like personally either; however, if you try some mix and match you might find several pieces that you like that go well together that have a less “bulky” look to them. As for “high end pve” not using a greatsword, bah. Just play what you like, if other people don’t like it, they don’t have to play with you.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Starbird.4029

There are more interesting builds to play with than just a GS guardian, I specc’d my first guard to use one of the torch builds and it works nicely. Then I’m building another for GS for other options.

But don’t only look at one build or only the meta, play around with the builds. I’ve ended up making 2 guards, 1 ranger, 1 thief. The thief was the harder of the 3 for me to level up.

Haha. I’m weird in that I’m very fussy. How a class looks/feels to me is just as important as how powerful it is (although that is important too).

GS and maybe Hammer look nifty. If I’m dual wielding the weapons have to match (yeah, I’m a bit OCD).

Thief was a misery to level up thus far. Damage was okay but clunky to do via cluster bombs. I’m honestly just after a class that can jump into a fight and tank some hits while not looking like it’s wearing half a fridge.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Haha. I’m weird in that I’m very fussy. How a class looks/feels to me is just as important as how powerful it is (although that is important too).

GS and maybe Hammer look nifty. If I’m dual wielding the weapons have to match (yeah, I’m a bit OCD).

Thief was a misery to level up thus far. Damage was okay but clunky to do via cluster bombs. I’m honestly just after a class that can jump into a fight and tank some hits while not looking like it’s wearing half a fridge.

Well for the first half (jump into a fight and tank some hits), that’s going to be warrior or guardian for sure. Not wearing half a fridge….well, that’s the trade off for being able to take those hits.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

My favourite guardian outfit need even 2 different sets from the shop, but there are
also other options for the chest. The main problem are leggings without skirts,
very much the same as there are not much coats without skirts for medium armor :/

For speed you can use retreat and save yourself .. however i prefer also to use
traveller runes.

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Starbird.4029

My favourite guardian outfit need even 2 different sets from the shop, but there are
very much the same as there are not much coats without skirts for medium armor :/

traveller runes.

That looks nifty but unfortunately I can’t use the shop (welcome to being in a Asian country where credit cards are barely used and never issued to foreigners).

Nightmare Court looks great though.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

traveller runes.

That looks nifty but unfortunately I can’t use the shop (welcome to being in a Asian country where credit cards are barely used and never issued to foreigners).

You can still use the shop. Convert gold to gems. It might take more time, but it’s still doable. (Either that or maybe you could sweet talk a friend into gifting you the items you want, I think the armor sets are giftable. At work so I cant check lol)

Starbird.4029

traveller runes.

You can still use the shop. Convert gold to gems. It might take more time, but it’s still doable. (Either that or maybe you could sweet talk a friend into gifting you the items you want)

Haha Everyone here has the same issue sadly.

By the time I saved up that much gold I may actually have a crack at that Nightmare Court armor lol.

Right now I’m sort of leaning towards guardian nonetheless (and maybe a thief if I can powerlevel her somehow via crafting once I’ve saved up some gold). The major hurdle right now is definitely the speed issue.

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

Considering you one of only a handful of people that said they really want their character to wear trench coats it seems a shame to suggest a heavy armor class to you because many of us hate the minimal diversity of medium armors (as 85% of them are a coat chest piece making the leg slot all but pointless).

I think you should give Ranger a go for the following reasons.

1) Thiefs are definitely not a zone out class, though their invis abilities allow them to take the path of least resistance and skip fighting often if they like. (My brother just collected every wp and vista in the game as a level 35-50 Thief.)

2) Pet management is a big part of optimizing dps but for solo content you cna easily get my with just a bear to tank for you.

3) Try going Longbow/Axe-Warhorn Use the longbow for single target (remember to stay far away as father = more damage on your 1 skill) and switch to Axe-Warhorn for AoE(its is mid ranged AoE not melee) and for traveling for the high uptime swiftness. You will kill things fast and get around quick.

4) Rangers are not that squishy and can actually play at melee range if you want to change it up. Their Greatsword hits lick a truck.

I would also focus on power + prec(crit chance)/vit(hp) gear to maximize your damage as you don;t expect to get hit too often.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I’ve had the pleasure of getting getting my rear handed to me by a melee only ranger who was VERY tanky (and very goods and what he/she did). It was an actual pleasure to go down to this player because of how well they played (not trying to be funny here).

My point here is that any class can be tanky or glassy in this game and can excel at range or close up if you know what you’re doing.

Also, one of my glass builds for my Guardian is a scepter/torch and sword/focus set up, and another is a GS and staff build that i can flip on the fly to my tankier set up.

Seriously, experiment with all classes and builds and find the ones that fit your play style the best. Ignore the meta unless you are using it as a starting point in crafting your own builds.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Starbird.4029

Haha. I just saw a Guardian whizz by me using a …staff maybe? Interesting.

Ranger is okay and I do love the coat, but if I go a medium armor class it’s probably going to be a thief. Later. After I get enough gold to powerlevel her to 30 or so.

Sort of settling on a Guard for now, and probably going to have to figure out exactly how to get that Nightmare Court armor…

Sigh.

Beldin.5498

I bought all my gemstore stuff with ingame gold .. its just a matter of farming :o)

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Haha. I just saw a Guardian wizz by me using a …staff maybe? Interesting.

Ranger is okay and I do love the coat, but if I go a medium armor class it’s probably going to be a thief. Later. After I get enough gold to powerlevel her to 30 or so.

Sort of settling on a Guard for now, and probably going to have to figure out exactly how to get that Nightmare Court armor…

Sigh.

Yes, staff 3 is a speed boost. Plus you have retreat which is a much longer speed boost.

If this is the armor you’re talking about (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Nightmare_Court_armor_(heavy)_human_female_front.jpg) then you need to do the Twilight Arbor dungeon for it.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

With the right combo of boon duration and timing of retreat and standing in the staff 3 pulses, you can easily get 1.5 minutes of speed boost that is fairly easy to keep up almost full time even with fighting going on. Just takes practice.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Starbird.4029

Haha. I just saw a Guardian wizz by me using a …staff maybe? Interesting.

Sigh.

Yes, staff 3 is a speed boost. Plus you have retreat which is a much longer speed boost.

If this is the armor you’re talking about (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Nightmare_Court_armor_(heavy)_human_female_front.jpg) then you need to do the Twilight Arbor dungeon for it.

/drool. That may be the sexiest thing I’ve seen in an MMO that wasn’t DCUO. But since this game doesn’t have a Finder I’m either going to have to pug it or find a guild or something.

Man I miss finders.

Well, thanks for the advice all! Going Guard for now and possibly a thief later. Much later.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

honestly your preferences contradict one another. you want to be tanky but don’t enjoy heavy armour… don’t get that, tanky classes use heavy armour.

As for overall preferences, I’d strongly recommend thief or ranger. it takes a while to get used to thief play style, but once you do you will have a very hard time dying. not sure if you’re using underleveled gear or just a weird weapon combo, but there’s no reason at all as a thief to be dying to same level mobs.

Downside to thief is that in higher end pve content (fractals, some dungeons) you will get the snot kicked out of you if you don’t pay attention.

Ranger is a brilliant jack of all trades class that does everything very well, it’s an easy to use class, deals a lot of damage in range or melee (greatsword or sword/horn are great dps) and is pretty tanky on top of having the option to let their pet tank for them and uses the medium armour set which, at a higher level, features a lot of the coats you seem to prefer.

Honestly it feels to me like you’ve spent not even an hour on each of the classes to come to the conclusions that you have. Since the npe, most of the classes require getting to the 30’s or higher (having unlocked most/all utility skills and elite skills) to experience their true potential

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

Starbird.4029

honestly your preferences contradict one another. you want to be tanky but don’t enjoy heavy armour… don’t get that, tanky classes use heavy armour.

As for overall preferences, I’d strongly recommend thief or ranger. it takes a while to get used to thief play style, but once you do you will have a very hard time dying. not sure if you’re using underleveled gear or just a weird weapon combo, but there’s no reason at all as a thief to be dying to same level mobs.

Downside to thief is that in higher end pve content (fractals, some dungeons) you will get the snot kicked out of you if you don’t pay attention.

Ranger is a brilliant jack of all trades class that does everything very well, it’s an easy to use class, deals a lot of damage in range or melee (greatsword or sword/horn are great dps) and is pretty tanky on top of having the option to let their pet tank for them and uses the medium armour set which, at a higher level, features a lot of the coats you seem to prefer.

Honestly it feels to me like you’ve spent not even an hour on each of the classes to come to the conclusions that you have. Since the npe, most of the classes require getting to the 30’s or higher (having unlocked most/all utility skills and elite skills) to experience their true potential

Thief is also a visual thing in that I don’t really dig the appearance of the S/P combo everyone tells me is a must for leveling.

Would love to be P/P but ugh…no aoe and squish tastic. Not a fan of kiting.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I leveled my thief with D/D and P/P – I don’t get “leveling builds” anyway.

Edit: But I went for SB with the other thieves I leveled – hadn’t had a gaming mouse when I created my first thief, applying aoe circles was painful.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

my thief uses dagger/pistol. s/p useful mainly for the 3 skill, which dazes, gives evasion frames and gives a lot of damage (9 strikes on up to 3 enemies, each hit on each enemy also triggering signet of malice if you’re using that heal skill)

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Starbird.4029

Now I’m leaning towards Thief. Grrr… internet!

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

But since this game doesn’t have a Finder I’m either going to have to pug it or find a guild or something.

Man I miss finders.

What do you mean by finders? GW2 has an LFG.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I run D/P, P/P On my thief.

Kiting isnt a must for pvp, but it’s nice to learn (and by nature of the game, sooner or later you will learn it).

Squishtastic, yes, but not very difficult to level up. Lots of the weapon skills either deal blind or grant evasion frames/ dazes as said above, which means the enemies apart from defiant bosses (which are normally slow) will not get many chances to hit you.

Build semi tanky on top of that and it might be a very enjoyable experience from 1-80.

Guardian is a nice choice too, though. Flip a coin.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Beldin.5498

I think its more the optical style. Look at the image i postet .. that doesn’t look heavy
but more “Black Widow Style” for me .. so its a heavy class but it looks like medium
armor ^^

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Ranger is fun and varied to me. Very forgiving. You don’t have to micro manage the pet but you can use it as a tool to buff your group, apply conditions, tank and distract or tear into your target. All of that is independent of your character so you can build for dps while you use a tanky pet to distract enemies, you can build a supportive character with some bulk to wade through lots of foes while your pet can smack and crit stuff, you can mix and match that and so forth. They have lots of regen, vigor and evades when you pick certain traits and can solo stuff in pve pretty easy. It’s one of the few classes that, if you get downed, you can probably easily get back up.

Thief is different. People say is squishy but that’s because they don’t want to use defensive traits. Stealth is a powerful mitigation tool in pve and thief has it in spades if you trait for it. It’s possible to prevent yourself from going down by just running and hiding. Get a pair of daggers and jump around the map at lightning speed, move around faster than anyone with super speed in stealth and shadow stepping. And still the capacity to deal the most single target damage if you use the proper gear. It’s not huge on aoe but you can pick up a short bow and 2 spam for a bit of extra coverage. You can also front load combos. Some of my favorite combos leveling up was heart seeker spam through fields to apply weakness to a tough target, stack stealth or protect myself in auras or blast finisher spam for all those nice effects.

Can’t tell you much about guardian except that they are very sought after.

You can take the cons others posted as I’m mainly focusing on the pros. Every profession has cons, sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad, focus on the good and Excell at that.

Starbird.4029

But since this game doesn’t have a Finder I’m either going to have to pug it or find a guild or something.

Man I miss finders.

It…does? Like not a channel but an actual automated group finder tool?

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

Since rangers are pretty much useless in high-level PvE (not as useless as necromancer though) you might want to scrab that class.

That leaves thieves and guardians. Both are high-skill classes and neither allow you to take it easy in high-level PvE content.

So personally I’d suggest to consider warrior.

I know you didn’t list warrior as an option, but I seriously think it’s the best class for you OP. Warriors are strong, well-rounded, capable and easy to play. They’re have the highest mobility in the game and among the highest base defense. Even when you spec a warrior in full DPS gear (and I suggest you’d do so) you’ll still be capable of taking a hit and not dying while dishing out pretty decent damage yourself.

I’d really consider a warrior OP. I think you might like the warrior a lot once you get him/her to lvl 80 and start doing high-level PvE content.

Starbird.4029

Warrior…hmm. I sort of like my clouds of blue fire and the flashyness of a Guard but that is an interesting thought.

How sought after are they in high level PvE? If I’m going plate, my first priory is that Nightmare Court set.

LucosTheDutch.4819

Warrior…hmm. I sort of like my clouds of blue fire and the flashyness of a Guard but that is an interesting thought.

How sought after are they in high level PvE? If I’m going plate, my first priory is that Nightmare Court set.

Warriors are always welcome in dungeon runs. But when you’re with multiple warriors in 1 party I do suggest you communicate with the other warriors who is going to use what skills. Most warriors use banners but having more than 1 of the same banner is a waste because the effects of warrior banners don’t stack. So keep that in mind if you find yourself in a group with another warrior. Ask him/her what banners he/she is using and switch out some of your banners for other utility skills if needed.

Fermi.2409

Man I miss finders.

Go to the friend channel and hit the second tab down. Just make sure to read the descriptions before you join a group.

Starbird.4029

Man I miss finders.

Go to the friend channel and hit the second tab down. Just make sure to read the descriptions before you join a group.

Ooh thanks!

On the subject of warriors, is GS decent? I’m a big fan of dual swords but apparently it’s as bad as thief’s dual pistols :|

Fermi.2409

You can use dual swords in PvP, but for PvE you’ll mostly want to stick with GS/Axe+Mace.

Starbird.4029

Okay well as long as I can use a GS I’m okay.

Well, going to give a warrior a go until level 10.

LucosTheDutch.4819

On the subject of warriors, is GS decent? I’m a big fan of dual swords but apparently it’s as bad as thief’s dual pistols :|

Yes, both guardians and warriors use greatswords in PvE content.

As a warrior, most of your damage will come from your main-hand axe. However, the greatsword has great burst potential and on top of that it can help buffing your party with extra might if you have the Phalanx Strength trait equipped (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Phalanx_Strength).

Greatswords are almost never used by warriors and guardians in PvP, but in PvE they’re definitely good weapons to have and use.

LucosTheDutch.4819

Okay well as long as I can use a GS I’m okay.

Well, going to give a warrior a go until level 10.

Not sure if playing to lvl 10 is a good way to judge a class. If anything, try taking your warrior to the PvP lobby (Heart of the Mist) and check out what the class has to offer there. You don’t have to join a match, you can simply test all your weapons and skills on training dummies present in the PvP lobby.

Warriors have a lot of good stuff to offer but most of it will get unlocked at higher levels.

Also: Always keep a warhorn in your inventory. Warhorns are the best way to go from A to B fast.

Starbird.4029

Thanks! Great advice here (although confusing).

Going with Warrior for now and unless I hate it, will likely be my first 80.
Goal – get Nightmare Court set. After that, if I have some disposable gold, will level thief a bit via crafting to make the process a bit easier.

Starbird.4029

Biggest concern about warrior is that everyone seems to be be one :|

LucosTheDutch.4819

Goal – get Nightmare Court set. After that, if I have some disposable gold, will level thief a bit via crafting to make the process a bit easier.

What do you find confusing? Maybe I can explain it again in a better way.

The reason why I suggest to go to the Heart of the Mist is because when you enter that location, you’ll automatically become lvl 80 and unlock all your skills (but you’ll be back to your original level once you leave again). That’s why going to Heart of the Mists can be a good way to see what a class truly has to offer.

To get to Heart of the Mists, you have to go to Lion’s Arch and from there walk to the Fort Mariner Waypoint. Over there you’ll find a bunch of portals. One of the will take you to Heart of the Mists.

If you really need help and you play on the North-American servers, add me to your friendlist and whisper me in-game. I can help you out in-game if you want.

LucosTheDutch.4819

That’s not really true. In an MMO with over 400k people, all classes are overly represented. It might seem that everyone is a warrior but I’m certain that just as many players have a guardian, ranger, thief or any other class.

Leo G.4501

That’s not really true. In an MMO with over 400k people, all classes are overly represented. It might seem that everyone is a warrior but I’m certain that just as many players have a guardian, ranger, thief or any other class.

Worse yet, it’ll be another greatsword 100b spammer sheep that can’t utilize anything outside of a banner or a signet.

I mean, yeah advice is advice but if ultimately leads to the same frustration most warrior players complain about.

Starbird.4029

What do you find confusing? Maybe I can explain it again in a better way.

The reason why I suggest to go to the Heart of the Mist is because when you enter that location, you’ll automatically become lvl 80 and unlock all your skills (but you’ll be back to your original level once you leave again). That’s why going to Heart of the Mists can be a good way to see what a class truly has to offer.

To get to Heart of the Mists, you have to go to Lion’s Arch and from there walk to the Fort Mariner Waypoint. Over there you’ll find a bunch of portals. One of the will take you to Heart of the Mists.

If you really need help and you play on the North-American servers, add me to your friendlist and whisper me in-game. I can help you out in-game if you want.

Ah, the confusion is that I’ve got about equal recommendations for all classes in this thread

LucosTheDutch.4819

Worse yet, it’ll be another greatsword 100b spammer sheep that can’t utilize anything outside of a banner or a signet.

I mean, yeah advice is advice but if ultimately leads to the same frustration most warrior players complain about.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I bet most (if not all) of us were 100b spamming banner sheep once. There is nothing wrong with that. You learn the basics of your class first before you can become good. Once the OP has toyed around a bit with a lvl 80 warrior and liked it and wishes to improve then he/she can always ask for more help/tips and maybe start watching some videos from Nike and Brasil to better understand this game and the class mechanics.

I once started as a heartseeker spamming scrub thief. Now I’m someone who understands all classes to a degree and I’m confident in saying that I’m a good warrior and great guardian player (I mostly gave up on thief, not really my cup of tea but I can still pull it off if I need to). We all have to start somewhere.

Starbird.4029

Actually I’ve found myself a class I think. GS ranger. Insanely healy and fun thus far. Plus I have a little bird following that wrecks stuff.

I may regret this once everyone starts telling me I can’t join their dungeons or whatever…

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Actually I’ve found myself a class I think. GS ranger. Insanely healy and fun thus far. Plus I have a little bird following that wrecks stuff.

I may regret this once everyone starts telling me I can’t join their dungeons or whatever…

Tip: The people that discriminate against classes in dungeons are people you dont want to join anyway.

Enjoy~

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Fermi.2409

99% of people don’t really care what you play as long as you’re reasonably competent, although ideally you’ll bring at least some of the group support your class usually does (Spotter/Frost Spirit for Rangers).

Ranger is a very good pick, though, and really quite fun. I’d suggest giving all of the weapons a try, though. You might find that you like something you didn’t expect.

Leo G.4501

Everyone has to start somewhere. I bet most (if not all) of us were 100b spamming banner sheep once. There is nothing wrong with that. You learn the basics of your class first before you can become good. Once the OP has toyed around a bit with a lvl 80 warrior and liked it and wishes to improve then he/she can always ask for more help/tips and maybe start watching some videos from Nike and Brasil to better understand this game and the class mechanics.

I once started as a heartseeker spamming scrub thief. Now I’m someone who understands all classes to a degree and I’m confident in saying that I’m a good warrior and great guardian player (I mostly gave up on thief, not really my cup of tea but I can still pull it off if I need to). We all have to start somewhere.

I know we all have to start somewhere but I was just criticizing the advice, like get gs and Axe/mace for min max blah blah meta build this or what have you. It sort of neglects the other stuff a warrior can do and breeds the pve mentality that gets under people’s skin. Let players discover that side of the game if they want but placing it as advice might give the impression that that’s what everyone does or should do.

Leo G.4501

Well that was unexpected.

Like I said before, Ranger can be varied. I personally enjoy my bird pets too and might sport a supportive build to keep myself alive but also to draw attention away from my bird. Think about pairing it with a tanker pet in those instances your bird gets too much attention. A Drake is a nice choice, my favorite is the river Drake. For weapons, if you like aoe, axes work well. If you want to use a bow, there are traits to make your arrows pierce up to 5 targets. Then there are a couple pets that cleave as well.