So many Wars and Gaurds, Why?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: slaughterfest.6250

slaughterfest.6250

I usually just run dungeons all day, on my Mesmer. Every single party I get into either has one of each or sometimes im the only non heavy armor person in the parties, Why!?
Because of the Zerk + Heavy Armor combo? I was really thinking about making one but they seem over used, which I know is no reason to not play a class but I hate seeing duplicates of myself everywhere.
I never see necros, rangers, and theifs. (Just in dungeons I see them elsewhere) I love running dungeons but im tired of my Mesmer, engineer is ridiculously boring, (idc bout ur personal opinion in that matter b/c spamming grenades and bombs isn’t my kind of fun) and I don’t want to be holding the dungeon back.
I’d love to roll a Gaurd, but Why are there so many!?

Bane Of The Legions (80 Reaper)
Duke Vindictae (80 Chronomancer)
Pain is temporary, Regret is forever.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i don’t know, but i played a guard because the white hair human girl in the creation menu is so pretty and the main color of guards is blue

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I have one of each profession and I can tell you my guardian goes where my others fear to tread. I can wade into a fight on that one and my health barely budges and the heals are more effective where with the others I am more cautious about getting into a fight with multiple foes.

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

Because they are the best professions.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

They’re a good newcomer class- forgiving to the inexperienced while being still relatively easy yet effective at higher levels. Every class can be played effectively, some to the point of outdamaging warriors, but they are more difficult.

Also, I think a lot of people just enjoy the paladin motif, and for those who miss healing/tanking, it’s the quintessential defensive support class and the closest you can come to healing/defending.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Because I like slaughtering everything without giving a skritt.

(edited by Justdeifyme.9387)

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Easy classes to play. That’s pretty much it.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Naw, most content favors dps and survival.

Warriors have spectacular dps
Guardian bring all the support needed for pve

Anet class and content designer deserve most of the blame

They could of design enemies that block which make necros more valuable or content require jumps and teleports to favor more mobile classes.

But no, all enemies are essentially a progress bar

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Forgiving classes easy to play. Very newbie friendly, the most of all the classes. High dps and/or support for melee, and with most armor. Can do any content in the game very well. Strong melee classes (including thief too but more challenging). Dungeons, yeah, you’ll se a lot of them.

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Naw, most content favors dps and survival.

Warriors have spectacular dps
Guardian bring all the support needed for pve

Anet class and content designer deserve most of the blame

They could of design enemies that block which make necros more valuable or content require jumps and teleports to favor more mobile classes.

But no, all enemies are essentially a progress bar

In terms of minmax guardians and warriors are pretty weak compared to other classes that can basically do all the same things but better. The big sell for warriors that they deal consistent moderate DPS that is hard to screw up and they bring banners, but other than being a bannerbot warriors aren’t that great.

Posted by: slaughterfest.6250

slaughterfest.6250

They have rockin’ armor though. Does seem to help.

Bane Of The Legions (80 Reaper)
Duke Vindictae (80 Chronomancer)
Pain is temporary, Regret is forever.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

They kill faster than other classes, they stay alive longer than other classes.
Easy to play. Very forgiving of mistakes.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: hazenz.5174

hazenz.5174

Love the fact that I’m always one of the last men standing

Fragmentation
[FRAG] Chiwi NZ

Posted by: Luxie.3617

Luxie.3617

I think it’s partly that they’re very forgiving classes, but also that sometimes it’s just really fun to smash stuff >.<, seriously it’s hard to have more fun than a hammer on either class :P, they also both support the group while not really losing anything themselves, while other classes might drop their own DPS to increase the parties, my war for example can stack might like crazy on the group and only makes it easy to smash stuff…

Posted by: Chlupac.4936

Chlupac.4936

You can be effective with any class you want – you just have to know how to play with it =)
Those ppl looking only for “war only” party just don’t know about that (or they are stupid, whatever)

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

I don’t know why, but i think Guardians are not that easy in PvE. I mean, ofcourse, if you roll Knights or Clerics with Altruistic Healing and a hammer or something similar, yes, easy as heck, but I could play my thief with Soldiers gear and Shortbow, that would be pretty faceroll, too.

If you choose to get the most out of your guardian, you have 12k Hp at best, a not so stronk heal and close to 0 condition remove. You still have a lot of group utility and you outdmg most other professions, but there’s little left for yourself.

On the other hand, almost no guardian chooses that way, maybe thats why we have so many of them.

(edited by Molch.2078)

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Easy classes to play. That’s pretty much it.

^ this. They’re both easy to play and have a great combination of damage and survivability and support. You don’t have to be as situationally aware to play them as you do, say, a thief or ele.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

In most games, you have a trade-off between survivability and damage. The squishier the class, the more damage it does. The tankier the class, the less damage it does. GW2 has a skewed version of this tradeoff (mostly evident in traits).

However, because ANet wants all classes to be able to spec for pure DPS, the heavy armor classes have an inherent advantage of more survivability to go along with high DPS. This is disregarding traits, and looking at (as examples) base armor, a warrior’s higher HP, and the guardian’s class mechanics.

Both heavy classes can also increase their own survivability using traits without sacrificing much in the way of DPS, whereas some classes have to limit their DPS potential much more to acquire any survivability at all. An example here would be Elementalists, of which a very high percentage (in my experience) stack points in the Water and Arcana trait lines.

So, in short, there is very little reason NOT to play a warrior or guardian at the moment, because there is very little incentive to play a squishier class outside the player’s own enjoyment.

I enjoy playing all eight professions, but I honestly hope ANet can figure out how to give the squishier classes their own advantages to counter-balance the disproportionate number of heavy class players we have right now.

(edited by Vick.6805)

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

In most games, you have a trade-off between survivability and damage. The squishier the class, the more damage it does. The tankier the class, the less damage it does. GW2 has a skewed version of this tradeoff (mostly evident in traits).

However, because ANet wants all classes to be able to spec for pure DPS, the heavy armor classes have an inherent advantage of more survivability to go along with high DPS. This is disregarding traits, and looking at base armor, a warrior’s higher HP, and the guardian’s class mechanics as exampkitten th heavy classes can also increase their own survivability using traits without sacrificing much in the way of DPS, whereas some classes have to limit their DPS potential much more to acquire any survivability at all. An example here would be Elementalists, of which a very high percentage (in my experience) stack points in the Water and Arcana trait lines.

So, in short, there is very little reason NOT to play a warrior or guardian at the moment, because there is very little incentive to play a squishier class outside the player’s own enjoyment.

I enjoy playing all eight professions, but I honestly hope ANet can figure out how to give the squishier classes their own advantages to counter-balance the disproportionate number of heavy class players we have right now.

If you really care about min/maxing (which no one should be forced to), elementalists and thieves currently outdamage warriors and bring utilities to the group that warriors and guardians cannot (stealth, conjures, high might stacking).

Other classes have lower damage but ways to buff the party that warriors and guardians do not. Mesmers have portal and Time Warp. Necros and engineers can stack vulnerability, which increases everyone’s damage. Rangers have two unique offensive party buffs- Spotter and Frost Spirit. It is actually more efficient to have a mix of classes rather than stack warriors.

The main benefit to having multiple heavies in a group (namely PUGs) is that, as you said, it’s harder to screw up playing one of them as opposed to an ele or thief.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Because they are the best professions.

Because they are the professions Anet lavishes with gifts that are easy to play.*

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Because they are the best most survivable professions.

Fixed the above.

Bottom line: It’s easier to survive a Dungeon with those 2 classes….(and harder to screw the pooch with them).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

However, because ANet wants all classes to be able to spec for pure DPS, the heavy armor classes have an inherent advantage of more survivability to go along with high DPS. This is disregarding traits, and looking at base armor, a warrior’s higher HP, and the guardian’s class mechanics as exampkitten th heavy classes can also increase their own survivability using traits without sacrificing much in the way of DPS, whereas some classes have to limit their DPS potential much more to acquire any survivability at all. An example here would be Elementalists, of which a very high percentage (in my experience) stack points in the Water and Arcana trait lines.

Uh, the squishies deal more damage than the heaviess. If you look at the way damage breaks down, the tanky classes (warrior, guardian, ranger, necro, engie) tend to be clustered around a common lower point (around 10k/s max potential damage) with elementalists, thieves, and mesmers having a sizeable lead over the rest at around 14-15k. Mesmers are sort of a unique case since they are super tanky but still deal high DPS, but they make up for that by having shortcomings in other fields. Still, if we’re kittening about not having to make damage/survivability tradeoffs, mesmer is the clear offender here, not warrior/guardian.

If anything warriors and guardians tend to be relatively balanced, they deal decent DPS and have decent survivability. Compare that to rangers and necros who deal less but are nearly impossible to die as.

Vick.6805

If you really care about min/maxing (which no one should be forced to), elementalists and thieves currently outdamage warriors and bring utilities to the group that warriors and guardians cannot (stealth, conjures, high might stacking).

I didn’t intend to say that the other classes can’t compete DPS-wise. In fact, as an Elementalist main myself, I know we can compete DPS-wise. I was simply saying we sacrifice survivability for that, whereas Ws and Gs can do both much much easier.

Other classes have lower damage but ways to buff the party that warriors and guardians do not.

And, yes, utilities and mixed class mechanics do make a team more successful, but not for the average player who doesn’t understand how to or want to expend the effort to bring those unique abilities to the table. In any case, I see your distinction that it really isn’t ANet’s problem.

Still, if we’re kittening about not having to make damage/survivability tradeoffs, mesmer is the clear offender here, not warrior/guardian.

I was attempting to state things as I see them, not complain (if that’s what was filtered out). I think my point is still valid, though. Mesmers may or may not have the best survivability in the game, but that is very dependent on the player, because Mesmers certainly don’t come that way by default (anyone who has leveled a Mesmer will tell you how frustrating it can be until you have access to Grandmaster traits). In any case, Mesmer still requires more effort than a W or G would to survive the same types of encounters.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I have all 8. My guardian is my least favorite to play, however one of my favorite classes to party with.

They have good damage and are pretty valuable to a party. Warriors are known for having high damage and survivability, with little skill needed.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: SlaveIITheGame.3692

SlaveIITheGame.3692

May be easier to learn content with, and be less worried about suffering a bad case of being dead on the ground doing no damage :P

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

Warrior is like the jack of all trades. theyre really fun and easy to play, you should try it. They have the ability to combine the best out of all classes and as a result they are at least ‘decent’ in all areas. You want range/AoE? Bow firefields. DPS? good solid melee dps, mainly in the form of bursts but also sustainable. cripples/stuns? they have tons of those. knockbacks/cc? hammer, mace, fear, stomp. condi removal/stun breaks/invul/stability? some of the best. partywide vigor/swiftness? warhorn. aegis/blocks? mace, sword, and shield. group support/revival? FGJ, banners, warbanner. mobility/speed? dont even get me started, warrior mobility is insane.

I have a guard also but usually im on my war. As a guard I am more tankier and have a bit more survivability due to aegis/heals/reflects but my war is more fun to play. its just preference I guess. I like to spam bursts and have better personal dps.

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

In most MMOs (at least since WoW) Warrior types and Paladin types have always been popular. They are typically either the easiest to play or the most forgiving. They tend to have big numbers for those who watch their damage.

In GW2 Melee get the BIG numbers.

It’s all about crowd pleasing.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

The games name is Guard Wars 2 for a reason.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

because they are easy beginner professions. point-and-click style. most other professions require finesse or are not as straight-forward hack and slash.
As a mesmer main, I often get “sweet, we have a mesmer!” comments.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

because they are easy beginner professions. point-and-click style. most other professions require finesse or are not as straight-forward hack and slash.

Portal and Time Warp require great skill. The only reasons anyone says anything like the above. Sad, but true.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Vick.6805

Portal and Time Warp require great skill. The only reasons anyone says anything like the above. Sad, but true.

That may be how a large chunk of players see it, because they’re the two most visible skills, but a group that also knows the player behind the mesmer is skillful would be even more excited.

It would be like describing a staff Elementalist’s team support as “Static Field and Healing Rain”. It just isn’t a comprehensive representation of what the class brings to the table, assuming the player brings more than a basic understanding of the class.

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Because I can watch my guardian guildmate wade around on the lightning floor in TA Aetherpath … while I am instantly downed the second I touch it, lol.

When I want to have the most fun I play my ele. When I want to relax a bit, guardian is perfect for that. One missed dodge isn’t anything to get worked up about, while still being able to trait/gear to support the team and bring solid damage to boot.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)