Solo class

Solo class

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: johnIV.3849

johnIV.3849

Hey guys just coming back to GW2 after a long break. So back when the game first came out I didn’t really get into it much. But I thought I would come back and give it another shot.

I am looking for a class that does good solo because I will probably be solo in both PvE and PvP most the time. The classes I picked to choose from are necro, ele, mesmer. Since my toon at launch was a thief thought I would go with a more magic role.

Thanks for the help. In every other mmo/rpg I have played I rolled a dark mage/deathknight. But I am not sure if the necro of guild wars 2 is just plain bad or if they can be good.

Solo class

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

All classes can solo as well as in a group.

A necromancer can be really really good.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Solo class

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

Some classes are better then others for solo play, Mesmers are great at this in both PvE and WvW.

Solo class

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

Some classes have a MUCH harder time than others.

For example, as a warrior or guardian, you can faceroll mobs higher level than you in blues and a greatsword.

Meanwhile the Mesmer requires GrandMaster Traits before it becomes strong.

Of the classes you selected I’d say go with Ele.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Solo class

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

For example, as a warrior or guardian, you can faceroll mobs higher level than you in blues and a greatsword.

Heh really? I must be doing something wrong. My mesmer seems to be doing fine with greens and I haven’t bothered to unlock grandmaster traits yet. Now ranger on the other hand …

Solo class

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

Note: All my comments are from a PvE standpoint.

Of my level 80s (Mesmer, Ele, Warrior & Ranger), I found Mesmer to be my best solo-er with Ranger being a close second (and on her I’ve only unlocked Adept traits and have not yet equipped any exotic armor).

For my Ele I found I needed to equip full exotics in order to get through Orr. Was doable but had a much tougher time than my Mesmer or Ranger.

And lastly my Warrior was ok but irrc I couldn’t really solo champions (however I’m not using exotics so perhaps that’s part of the issue).

Basically, Mesmer and Ranger seem to have an easer time because they can constantly use clones or pets to soak up damage they would otherwise take directly – whereas Ele and Warrior take much more of that damage directly.

(edited by Day Trooper.3605)

Solo class

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

Of those you’ve suggested, I’d say it’s a toss-up between mesmer and necro. Elementalists are a bit more complex to use and less forgiving when you mess up due to having the low health pool on top of light armor. Both mesmers and necros can spawn multiple helper NPCs (clones, minions) which help substantially in solo play. Elementalists can spawn elementals which vary based on your attunement but they can’t be kept up most of the time, so they’re less reliable in that sense.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

Solo class

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

My mes has really few aoe spells which makes it a bit more difficult when solo-ing a group of mobs.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Solo class

Posted by: PWNcakesAndROFLs.8263

PWNcakesAndROFLs.8263

Engi is excellent at being self-sufficient. Not only does the engi have some of the best single-target cc abilities, but also brings a myriad of other tools that make them excellent solo players.

• permanent swiftness
  • turret play, with recent buffs it gives the advantage of having multiple damage sources such as the necro, mesmer, ranger
  • ability to swap and equip multiple kits, which allow more adaptability across different situations
  • can apply almost every boon to themselves, even if it is sometimes random, adding a great deal of survivability
  • all weapons sets, including kits, have a degree of CC on them.
  • kits provide excellent sources of AoE damage
  • quick application of almost all the conditions in the game at their disposal

Solo class

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Yes you are right, but the question wasnt wich classes are easier to play, the question was what class was good to solo in both pve and pvp. And im just saying that despite the advantages/disadvantages some classes have (and a lot of discussion allready bout that in this thread and others) that no of those eventual disadvantages are tied to the ability to solo.

If an ele is very squishy, it is both solo and in a group.
There are some classes that are better in a group (guardian) but that doesn’t make the guardian less to solo (guardian has traits and skills that support you and people around you).

So there is no class that is better to solo in my opinion. If the question would be what class is easier to play then my answer would be ranger and warrior (though them being relativly easy to play also means they are relativly hard to be outstanding in e.g. WvW and PvP, but thats a totally different discussion).

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!