Starting to think I'm not good enough to play this game.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I’m starting to get the idea that I’m just not good enough to play this game. The pvp I find fun at times, but I am pretty terrible at pvp. I die about 85% of the time 1v1. No matter the class no matter my enemy I still end up dieing. I’m just not good.

The highest I got so far is level 25, on my elementalist and right now I’m starting to die a lot and game up on the elementalist due to me not being good enough to play them.

Honestly dungeons in this game scare me enough to not want to try them. I usually play healers in other MMO’s, there isn’t one here. Support is very complicated and I’m afraid that I’m just not that good. I’ve tried every class, and I’m just not that good with any of them. Sometimes I wish online games came with difficulty settings

Whats the best “crappy player” friendly class? And for pvp is there any hope at all?

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

Get a warrior. :P

Posted by: DeityAngel.5648

DeityAngel.5648

Well to me personally I think you just need to focus on one class and get better with it.
Warriors are a great choice when it comes to mind its a very basic class and it has the most weapon possibilities.

Generally Warriors have the highest HP so you can tank much more then your ele.

Try it out and have fun :P

Posted by: Jack.2095

Jack.2095

Get a guardian, you’d have to try pretty hard to die. It sounds like you might enjoy playing a supportive role and the guardian will allow you to do that in dungeons if you build for it. Outside of dungeons they have excellent sustainability and the damage is definitely in line. In terms of PvP I don’t think they’re fantastic 1v1 but you have the highest chance out of any class to survive long enough for your team mates to come to the rescue. With 1v1 put aside guardian makes an excellent addition to any team in tournaments, sPvP or even WvWvW.

As a side note I actually play a warrior with around 200hrs clocked, it’s pretty straight forward but the guardian definitely beats it in survivability outright in all game modes.

(edited by Jack.2095)

Posted by: MikeRocks.9243

MikeRocks.9243

Yeah, I think you just have to find a profession that you’re comfortable with that also fits the type of role you’re trying to play. You also have to have some realistic expectations about what you’re going to encounter based on your build.

For example, I play an Engineer usually. In PvP, I’m usually specced purely for support. 1v1, I typically bite it pretty quickly. I make it hard for them, but I’m pretty terrible. 2v2 or higher I rock at, though, and hardly ever lose. I’ve gone 2v4 before with myself and a Warrior and we both walked out of that one alive, simply ‘cause I’m comfortable and effective playing a support role and the Warrior rocked at beating thing’s faces in.

Just gotta find something that fits you.

But, yeah, give Warrior a try. Rangers are a pretty easy to get the hang of, too.

The Long Road
Goal: To have one character of every race, gender, and armor class combination at level 80.
Current progress: Human 4/6 | Charr 1/6 | Norn 1/6 | Sylvari 1/6 | Asura 1/6 | Total: 8/30

Posted by: Fardarter.5908

Fardarter.5908

I have 1 level 80 and 2 others over 40. In my experience if you are having trouble make a ranger and max out beast mastery. Trait anything that heal your pet including using the regen signet. If you do this you will be able to mow down single enemies, multiple mobs will be tougher but you shouldn’t have too much trouble.

Playing anything melee in this game can get real twitchy in a hurry. Mobs hit really hard. A pet with heals can absorb quite a few hits and keep agro off of you. I would also suggest using a bear to start with in pve.

I am not saying rangers are easier or harder than any other class but I got mine to 80 when the trading post was down so it is very doable just using stuff that drops and spending some karma.

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I usually just play by myself. I enter pvp solo, and usually try to stick together but end up most of the time by myself. I’ve tried a guardian but I just can’t get the hang of them. I don’t get them at all. I’d have to play more in pve with them before I understood how they work. I don’t really get the concept of combo’s at all. I would a pokemon esque chart that shows combos.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: DangerMonkey.3158

DangerMonkey.3158

If you want to support, go a guardian. Or spec your elementalist for mainly water attunement

Fear me! For I am the dangerous primate!
Rank 1X SneekyTheef (T), Wizzizard (M), Gerdierhn (G)
Builds:http://www.gw2builds.org/user/dangermonkey

Posted by: Passiflora.2047

Passiflora.2047

Don’t feel bad, IMHO Elementalist is one of the harder classes to do well with! I hear Guardian is excellent for both survivability and support, though if you really don’t mesh with the play style, or aren’t set on focusing on support, I’d recommend Warrior or a Ranger. They seem to have a lower skill floor.

Can’t comment on PvP, though, sorry. Good luck finding the class for you!

Posted by: Buellbloke.8915

Buellbloke.8915

Yeew my girlfriend made an Elementalist ~nice damge but so weak in a fix, lots of dodging and jumping to survive : O You got to 25 shocking! I couldn’t play her past 15 without hating the class : O Guardian is cool ~put lot’s of points in Toughness and Vitality, use gems to stack healing ; ) My girlfriend hates up close and personal characters ~like matey says try a Ranger and stack for the pet (tank) ~I’ll assume that’s the bottom trait set. Warriors are tricky all my friends prefer Guardian, I thought I was crap at the begining, figuring out interupt skills on my Warrior in class quests on self healing veterans grrrr~ This game is better in a group and better teamed up in the personal story ~at times : O Get a friend to back you up and you’ll be fine ; )

Posted by: RJMazz.6798

RJMazz.6798

You want a tough mage-like class, go necromancers.

They have even more HP than warriors.

Posted by: endless.1376

endless.1376

I die quite a bit. For now it seems that dying is part of the game, but at least it gives you options to make you harder to kill.

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

Elementalist is quite a bit harder than your typical “mage” class in this game because you need to stance dance with attunements effectively while you are being very mobile at pretty much the same time. You have twice as many abilities to juggle and no real ability to take much damage, so positioning is critical together with absolute mastery of the four attunement skill sets (20 skills) for your equipped weapon. It’s a challenge to play well.

I normally play a mage type class, but because of the challenge of the elementalist (I have one in the 20s), my main is a warrior, and I enjoy it very much indeed. It also requires good positioning and placement and skill management, but two weapons instead of four attunements (half as much to juggle in one loadout), and while taking a lot of hits is never a good idea, you can take more hits than an ele can, so you have a much wider margin of error. I also have a Guard in the 20s and he is very fun, too — very different from the warrior in playstyle, but higher outright survivability at the cost of a bit more play complexity (nothing like Ele though).

The classes in this game are NOT all equally challenging in terms of average effectiveness for the player with average skills. Every class can be played very well by a player with high skills (not saying they are all balanced), but it’s not the case that every class can be played well by a player with average skills in this game.

Posted by: Luce.4951

Luce.4951

Elementalist is a tough profession to play. Opposite to like other games where the squishy cloth class is weak at first but gradually become more powerful, elementalist actually gets tougher. When the damage you take become much greater, the margin of error for dodging, using your CC and executing your attacks become much smaller. Switching alignments become much more important as well. Mine is 65 and I had to completely overhaul my keybindings and traits to be capable. Now that I know the profession more I would not recommend as first class unless you are rather twitchy.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I’m glad I made my ele first, my skill level has had to increase just to do basic things :P

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: AdamLiborio.8436

AdamLiborio.8436

I usually just play by myself. I enter pvp solo, and usually try to stick together but end up most of the time by myself. I’ve tried a guardian but I just can’t get the hang of them. I don’t get them at all. I’d have to play more in pve with them before I understood how they work. I don’t really get the concept of combo’s at all. I would a pokemon esque chart that shows combos.

If you want to understand the combos better read this page: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo . I hope that’s what you meant by combos.

I also would suggest Guardian. Solo it’s easy to stay alive and do a lot of damage. Greatsword really rips into things but then you can use a staff to do mainly support. Haven’t played sPvP but I’ve used him in WvW and during some large battles I could help keep a lot of people alive by playing support.

Posted by: HappyDragon.1578

HappyDragon.1578

I’d say ranger is the easiest class ever, but maybe it’s because I play one. Your pet does a lot of the work for you. In PvE, if you use tanky pets, such as bears, they almost never die, and they keep the mobs away from you. In PvP, they’re also quite helpful, but they usually take the credit for your kills. People tend to ignore your pets and go straight for you, even if the pet is dealing more damage.

Posted by: the uprising.6317

the uprising.6317

Play a ranger, thank me later. You will have a very difficult time messing up with the ranger. A high skillfloor low skill cap class, very straightforward, tab12345 and f2 sometimes, and ur good. I say warrior is harder class overall, but will be easier to play if you are good at spacing, if you aren’t, sure they have a lot of passive health, but they are the least tab targeting reliant classes.

Guardian is a big no-no if you are a low skill player, they are all active defense, control, and active support.

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

If you really want to play this game (it’s okay if you don’t), I also suggest just picking any one profession and sticking to it. Read about it, ask questions.

I don’t think it really matters what you pick – if you hate it, you’re not going to want to keep going. So just pick something you like and make a point to get better.

And if you really don’t like this game, don’t force yourself to play it. I think GW2 is an amazing game and I’d recommend it to anyone, but if you genuinely don’t like it – that’s okay, there are other awesome games out there that you might like better.

Posted by: Ameghan Rose.4683

Ameghan Rose.4683

I’ve had the same feeling once I got past the starter zones. Play whatever class is fun for you, and don’t worry too much about how you compare to others. This game is still pretty new and you have lots of time to learn.

That said, I have found that for me the ranger is pretty much the easiest of the classes to play, and the one I die on least.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Keep playing and you’ll naturally improve.

Posted by: Solder.4693

Solder.4693

So far, in my experience, Guardians and Warriors are the toughest guys out there.

I’m a baddie too.

Posted by: Warhawk.9251

Warhawk.9251

I have a guardian and it’s one of the easiest classes to play. If your looking for a class that doesn’t ever die, there isn’t one. Everyone dies in guild wars 2 no matter what class you are or how good you are. Unless your just sitting crafting all day lol.

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

Elementalist has the highest skill needed out of all classes imo.

And the best pve weapon is the worst pvp weapon.

Posted by: Potent.2369

Potent.2369

I’m not trying to be presumptuous, but do you click your abilities from the hotbar with the mouse, or use easily accessible hotkeys to activate them? The latter is far more efficient and might enhance you’re experience if you’re struggling and have yet to try it.

Posted by: Snores.7806

Snores.7806

Hi heartless,
a few suggestions for you…
1. Shelve the Ele for now, they have a bad rep for being underpowered and a difficult class to play well.
2. Roll a Warrior, Ranger, Guardian or Necromancer. They’re akittensight tougher and more forgivable for a newbie.
3. Get yourself Guilded up. Find a group of likeminded individuals who might be willing to help a new guy/gal. The GW2 community seem like pretty good people so you should be able to find some help
4. Never be afraid to try anything… especially the things that look difficult.
5. Strive to be better. There is a lot of advice on these forums and other fansites that will hp you improve your playing experience.

Best of luck

Posted by: Xynth.9672

Xynth.9672

Two things that may help you on your ele if you want to tough it out.

1. Ele’s are pretty squishy right now and to play them well you have to constantly be on your toes. Which means, don’t be in melee, watch your surroundings, keep your shields up if you see a ranged enemy targeting you and/or take them out quickly, etc.

2. If you are trying to go full support don’t. That would be the reason why it’s so difficult. No profession ca be 100% support or at least not without making you worthless. There is only so much healing and buffing you can do before it just becomes overkill. Try for a hybrid build. They usually work out the best and you can fill more than one role. Something along the likes of support/control, support/condition damage, or whatever would probably work a lot better and keep you alive longer and not to mention more useful to your group.

Posted by: Phaedrus.7159

Phaedrus.7159

The thing is, it’s not so much about having the “right” class, it’s more about knowing a class really well. So if you are trying all the different classes, you probably haven’t mastered all the tricks you need to win!

The other thing to realise is not all classes are best in 1v1. So for example Mesmers and Thieves are pretty good in 1v1 (if built for it), so in sPvP it’s usually a good idea to go after solo objectives (e.g., trebuchet, grabbing lone objectives), whereas other classes are really good teamfighters and so want to go into the big teamfight locations (e.g., Clocktower, Graveyard, Keep).

I realise my two points are sort of contradictory, but what I mean is:
If you 1v1 and you aren’t really experienced with the class, you will probably lose to someone who is, even if it’s a “weaker” 1v1 (more team oriented) build.
Not all classes are best in 1v1, and losing a 1v1 isn’t necessarily bad in terms of your teams overall objectives (e.g., if the other team has a lot of 1v1ers, you’ll probably have the advantage in team fights).

Posted by: Alverad.3167

Alverad.3167

To start with, you probably icked the hardest class to play atm, as well as not very rewarding, not initially. You have two choices, keep on playing it or reroll a Warrior :p Should you decide to keep on playing ele: if you die a lot, downzone yourself, don’t go to higher zones, go to parallel ones – you still progress but it is easier. and it lets you practice in a slightly more friendly environment. Trick is, many people come into GW expecting to be able to plow through everything. And that is not the case really. There is nothing wrong with dying, take it step by step:

Try different weapons, make sure you unlock all your weapon abilities for easy switch if neccesary, read the tooltips, try to set up a small ‘rotation’ for yourself for single target mobs, and for aoe situations. See if it works, think of how to improve it.

Check the evasion mechanics available to your prof.

Use signets with CC utilities, they help a lot when playing an ele.

Stick 10 points into Arcana traits for the little life savior bubble – it makes a world of difference, buys you valuable seconds to finish off what’s about to kill you.

Try focusing on one atonement at a time, get a good hang of what abilities it has in different weapon combinations, once you’re familiar with them, start swapping between two, then three, then four.

Make sure you have comfy key-binds – it’s such a dynamic prof, this is, in my opinion, game breaking.

Invest 10 points in Earth atonement – toughness does make a difference.

Highest dmg, from my experience, comes from dual daggers, yes you need to be at close range but mobs do die substantially faster, coupled with some cc utilities you will very soon start seeing dead mobs everywhere.

Swap to staff for DEs, you’ll feel like a god – great for morale :p

Once you get somewhat comfy with swapping stances, at least two, try to create combos .

Be cautious when you pull, take one mob at a time until you are comfy with it, then try more.

When downed, use your escape ability to get away from the mob that’s attacking you – it’s not always possible but quite often is, try to line of sight it to start with, if there are other people around, try heading for where they are.

Make sure to use you elemental asap – the earth one is fairly tough for current level mobs and really makes it easier to go about – don’t use it all the time, keep it for the oh kitten situations, chances are it will take aggro off you, from at least a mob or two, giving you some breathing space.

Conjured weapons are good, well some – buy the skills – I found the axe is pretty good damage, I use it a fair bit, especially when I accidentally pull more then I intended. Blow the cds on it, then drop it and proceed to whatever else.

Go around low level zones grabbing all the skill points you can – you get free xp while at it, karma from events along the way, and of course the ability to unlock as many skills as possible, to give yourself more choices.

When pulling, it’s often good to do so with your ground targeting abilities – simply cos the target will be static until it gets damaged by them, then try to build a slowing/freezing/blinding path between you and the mob(s) – now granted, most will not even live long enough to go half way through, but it’s good practice for tougher creatures. If you have misplaced a ground effect, try to kite mobs back onto it or simply through it. If you get overrun, sometimes it’s just best to pop all the slowing/crippling blinding you can, send in your ele if off cd, and leg it In the direction you came from preferably :p

Make sure to invest in some condition dmg boosting gear. Burning, bleeds, it’s all affected.

I am not the best Elementalist out there, but I find the class really enjoyable and challanging, I go through trial and error and I do see improvement every day I play. Feels very rewarding despite being most definitely the lowest single target dmg dealer out there, something I hope will be rectified along the way.

Hope that helps

(edited by Alverad.3167)

Posted by: mangarrage.1062

mangarrage.1062

First off your highest level is 25 thats the first issue
Second there is a healing class even though people disagree and that is a water based elementalist
Sure it isnt your true “cleric” type class but it does a great job with outgoing heals and the higher they are the better they are
When I first played this game and in betas I thought for certain that I just sucked
But playing through a character start to finish you just get the combat you get the dodging etc
So by all means dont stop at 25. If you finish a character to 80 and still feel you are bad then stop by all means but making these statements at 25, you just simply arent giving the game, or more importantly yourself a chance

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

OP, I mean this as a compliment, so I hope you take it the right way! Thank you for asking for advice rather than making one of those threads complaining that the game should be nerfed because it’s too difficult

I would maybe try a warrior using ranged weapons. They’re tough, do good damage and ranged is a lot easier than melee. You can also support by using your banners.

For levelling you could also try a ranger and use 2 bear pets, the bears are pretty tough.

Once you’ve picked a class take a look at the class forum for some tips. Guild Wars 2 Guru has a lot of information as well.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/27-vigil-academy-pve/

The Elementalist is a complicated and squishy class, so it’s really not a good one to start off with.

If you really like the game don’t be discouraged. The dodging and stuff is very different and it can take some time to get used to. Reading guides and maybe watching some videos on youtube helps a lot. For example this one shows you how to circle strafe to help you avoid the mobs while you kill them from range.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKWeaXZeOY
Plus you’re only level 25 and if you read up on some tips and practice them it should help a lot. As with everything, practice makes perfect