Strafing help

Strafing help

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: bennyx.8276

bennyx.8276

Help!

I’m just trying to get into GW2 again, but am having some frustrating issues with hitting buttons when strafing. I use ESDF, but when strafing right, I have no idea how to hit keys TGYH. I use my ring and index fingers to strafe, and my middle to dodge and go forward, which seems to be pretty popular.

How do you guys do it? Do I just change direction everytime I want to use a key on a different side? Wouldn’t it give away what I’m going to do? I’ve watched videos and ppl seem to change direction independent of what skills they are using.

Strafing help

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I use a mouse with 6 extra button on the side(razer naga hex). Previous one with 2 extra buttons worked fine too.

Alternatively you can hit those keys with your thumb.

Strafing help

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I use the same mouse as Khisanth. Well, the same model. I don’t share my mouse.

Sorry .. it’s late …

But yeah, after the first Beta Weekend I ordered the HEX because I couldn’t hack keyboard movement along with firing off skills since I’m mostly a one-key-at-a-time person. CTRL-T to put up a target is about the only combo I use. The HEX has been wonderful in letting me do almost all my movement with the mouse (does make ground targeting harder) while hitting skills with my left hand.

Strafing help

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I got a Razer Naga for this game. I have dodge on the 3rd mouse click and all skills on the side buttons. For strafe then I only need to use my strafe keys while turning with the mouse and my right thumb is hitting the skills. If you can get a mouse with at least a few buttons, it makes the game a lot easier to play.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Strafing help

Posted by: MasterJediSoda.5926

MasterJediSoda.5926

I actually just use a regular old mouse and keyboard. WASD are the forward, back, and turn left/right. For strafing I just hold the right mouse button. I use V to dodge and Z for about face, and I don’t really have any problems.

Main: Mithren Lunalit, Mesmer
Member of Legion of Honour [XIII]
http://operationunion.enjin.com/

Strafing help

Posted by: BattleCat.2098

BattleCat.2098

I use ASDW to move, with A and D strafting (rather than turning, like in most games.) Holding the right mouse button to aim more carefully is easy enough this way.

As for the buttons, this has always puzzled me. I’m left-handed, so I can easily rest my right thumb on the left Ctrl-button, and still hit the 1 – 6 keys. This essentially gives me 12 keys within easy reach. Add in Q and E, and it’s plenty for most common tasks. Plus, I can easily press the left Shift-key too with the thumb, adding in yet another six buttons.

But here’s what I don’t get: Why is the default, when most players are right-handed? Why aren’t you using the right side of the keyboard? I’ve tried resting my right hand on the ASDW keys, but I just can’t do it. Pressing Ctrl and/or Shift is very awkward, to say the least. Even Tab is hard to reach, and pressing a number-key while running? I can’t do it, even when standing still. Um, by standing still and resting my fingers on the ASDW-keys and still reaching a number, I mean. Not being able to run while standing still is bit… obvious. :p

As for my mouse, I use the Diablo 3 mouse, though I only use one side button, and only in some games. With such easy reach to so many keyboard keys, I don’t need extra mouse keys.

Strafing help

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

I use RMB + A & D for strafe, I remapped Q & E to more useful things.

Strafing help

Posted by: bennyx.8276

bennyx.8276

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m mostly having issues strafing and trying to hit keys that i would normally hit with my currently strafing finger.

Using my thumb or middle fingers seems awkward (like hitting T with your thumb).

At the moment i’ve found okay solution where I use TFG for movement, and permanently have my index finger dedicated to movement, while my remaining fingers use all my skills.

Strafing help

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If you are not using the RMB to turn (and the side buttons for strafing), you are at a HUGE disadvantage to other players (in terms that keyboard turning is FAR too slow to allow for proper circle strafing or character orientation).

Just my 2 coppers on the issue.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Strafing help

Posted by: BattleCat.2098

BattleCat.2098

Help!

I’m just trying to get into GW2 again, but am having some frustrating issues with hitting buttons when strafing. I use ESDF, but when strafing right, I have no idea how to hit keys TGYH. I use my ring and index fingers to strafe, and my middle to dodge and go forward, which seems to be pretty popular.

How do you guys do it? Do I just change direction everytime I want to use a key on a different side? Wouldn’t it give away what I’m going to do? I’ve watched videos and ppl seem to change direction independent of what skills they are using.

A few things occured to me:

1. Do you use your pinky? If not, you really should. As you use ESDF to move, you shouldn’t have a problem using Q, A and Z with your pinky. Also, what are you using the W and R keys for? You shouldn’t have a problem to run forward (E) and/or strafing right (F) while pressing the W button. Or forward/left-straft and press R. Sure it takes practice, but you’ll get the hang of it.

Also, do you use the Spacebar? I’m left-handed, so this doesn’t apply to me. But if I hold the ESDF-keys with my right hand, the thumb rests on the Spacebar. Seems a waste to not use it.