Sturdy Class w/ Supportive gameplay?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Hey everyone,

I’ve been playing GW2 for a while now, and even though i’ve been playing pretty much since release, i’m still unsure on which class i want to focus on fully.

I’m mostly after a build that’s focused on being difficult to take down if played right, while also supporting my allies as best as possible, this has lead me to believe the Guardian, Warrior & Engineer are the best choices, but i’m unsure which one would be the best choice for me.

I don’t have a problem playing either 3, as i enjoy the play-style of all 3, but what i would enjoy more is being able to excell at what it is i’m after.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what class i should play? Personally i’m leaning more towards the guardian, but i wanted to get a second (or third & fourth) opinion, before i invest the time.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

Support that’s hard to kill? Guardian is tailor made for that. Use shouts, Shield of the Avenger and Wall of Reflection.

Put 5 into the Virtues Trait Tree and you’re good to go. If you really wanna rock everything, put 30 into Vitality. Not only will it help compensate for the guardians low health pool (though the Healing Signet helps with that a LOT, restores well over half your HP without any added Healing Power) it gives you a trait that converts a condition to a boon on allies (including yourself) affected by your shouts (Save Yourselves, Stand Your Ground and Hold the Line).

(edited by BaconCatTheGreasy.9542)

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

The obvious choice is definitely guardian. Heavy armour, plenty of support/defence, lots of potential for condition removal and that sort of thing.

I’m not certain how engineers hold up, but they certainly require more delicate attention to keep them alive and prospering. Warrior is another heavy armour and thus tough profession, and it does have support potential but excels more in the weapon skills department. You could play a warrior and dump a banner then focus on the offensive, but it sounds like you’d enjoy a guardian – there’s plenty of potential for timing and combos to make a difference.

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

Engineers aren’t very sturdy. Guardian or maybe necro. You could run an elementalist with one of a few different bunker builds but that will limit your support. If what you really want is something that has great support in nearly every build, the Guardian is the only choice. Everybody else has to work for it.

And if what you want is excellence, Necro and elementalist aren’t as good as the Guardian and I expect that the necro is getting a nerf soon. Engineer, while it sounded great on paper, is very poorly implemented and needs a major overhaul which probably won’t come until late 2014 (but that’s speculation judging from how long it took to fix the broken professions in GW1).

The joke is that the GW2 holy trinity is Guardian, Mesmer, Thief. There’s a valid reason for that. None of the other professions stack up to them in as many areas of the game so easily and with so much variety. So do yourself a favor and roll a Guardian.