[Suggestion] Graphics Setting Profiles

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

This is something I hadn’t thought about until recently, when I friend mentioned something about WoW and automatic graphic scaling in Raids.

Now, I’m not here to make comparisons (personally I think WoW is trash), but I do think that kind of feature would bring so much quality of life it’s not funny.

The profiles should essentially have a two specific features.

Manual Switching

First and foremost, players should be able to switch between profiles quickly and easily by just clicking on them. It would adjust all graphics settings on the fly (obviously those requiring a map change would still need this to take effect).

Ideally we would have 3 customizable profiles.

Automatic Switching

This is probably the key thing to make this actually work and it would be a toggle-able option, turned off by default.

Automatic Switching would allow you to select a profile and particular FPS to swap to another profile when that FPS is reached.

For example:

Profile 1 (High Graphics Settings) would swap to Profile 2 (Medium Graphics settings) when less than 60/45/30 FPS (user selected) is hit while on Profile 1.

Profile 2 would swap back to Profile 1 if above 60/45/30 FPS (user selected) is hit
Profile 2 would swap down to Profile 3 (Low Graphics settings) if below 60/45/30 FPS is hit while on Profile 2.

Profile 3 would swap back up to Profile 2 in a the same way Profile 2 swaps to Profile 1 (user selected, of course).

Benefits

• Prevents going from silky smooth 60 FPS to a Slideshow during important game play moments (see: WvW)
  • Allows players who participate in multiple game-modes to easily adjust their graphics settings depending on the game-mode.
  • Can drastically help people on older machines who can not maintain full 60/30FPS in certain areas

Summary

The key part of this idea is user selection. A user should be able to select the settings of each profile and be able to manually swap between them, but should also be able to select how and when a profile automatically swaps if and when they wish.

If this is implemented, players across all game-modes are sure to see benefits. While it is not a feature that many players might have at the fore-front of their mind for QoL improvements, it is a feature that can have a drastic impact on over-all game play.

noice

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

MODS:

This doesn’t belong here? I don’t know why it got moved to Players Helping Players? Put it back to general. This is a suggestion, not a help post.

noice

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

I don’t think an automated switch as you suggest would be a good idea (due to the way the engine is “optimized” FPS tend to go up and down within seconds leading to permanent switching of graphic profiles during playing = hard time for the eyes ahead).
But I’m all for the possibility to set up graphic profiles that can be changed without much effort “on the fly” and/or get automatically loaded for certain game modes like WvW.

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I would like something like this, but with the switching based on game mode rather than FPS, so it’s done on loading screens and doesn’t disturb gameplay.

When loading a WvW map, I want more performance, but when playing in dungeon instances and story, I can do with better graphics.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

This isn’t needed.

There’s actually 4 settings that affect drastically the performance once you get into heavy situations, and yet they are some of the fewest that improve the image quality.

• Character Model limit. By far, the most taxing setting in the game. It determines the amount of people rendered. In heavy situations it tanks the framerate miserably, but in dungeons, open world or raids the effect is minimal.
    Put "medium if you have a heavily oced Skylake. If you have a haswell i5 or better “low” is your target. For anything below, “lowest” is the only option for you.
  • Shadows at ultra. It renders all the shadows you can see. From Low to High what it does is to increase the range from switching between low and high res shadows.
    Ultra should only be used if having an overkill gpu (780, 970, 290, 480…).
  • Effect LOD. If enabled, it reduces the amount of effects rendered in actions and skills. If disabled, everything is rendered with so much flashy fights start to become a nightmare.
    There’s no reason to not activate it. If you want heavy situations, disable it. If you want to be competitive, disable it.
  • Reflections. It only affects the reflections on the water. In some maps it tanks the performance as it also renders the undersea of the map. And as most maps/instances in gw2 don’t have much water, if any, the benefits of having it enabled are nothing compared to the framerate you lose most of the time.

Basically, maxing this settings isn’t worth regardless how “Light” is the game mode you’re playing.
All other settings won’t affect that much the performance between scenarios. If you have the hardware, max them and enjoy.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

(edited by Ansau.7326)

Posted by: sirsquishy.2619

sirsquishy.2619

Having profiles based on Town, open area, PVP, WvW, Instances/Dungs/Raids, would be nice I would think.

For example; Being able to set character limit to lowest in LA/Other towns, and then Medium/High out in the open world would do wonders for performance.

But it would be an addition to the existing profiles. I just wish we could manually set what the set profiles used for settings.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

MODS:

This doesn’t belong here? I don’t know why it got moved to Players Helping Players? Put it back to general. This is a suggestion, not a help post.

Anything even moderately computer related, unless you have an issue with the game, automatically gets shoved into players helping players. It doesn’t make any sense, but oh well

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood