Support for newer players

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

This only applies to the Crystal Desert world, I’m not going to go world guesting for this (because aside from being insanely troublesome there’s also a limit to how many worlds I can guest). Conversely, if you’re from another North American world you can call on my support by guesting Crystal Desert.

Essentially, I’ve found that, perhaps oddly enough, one of the things that is most enjoyable for me is to help others with their stuff. And I’m not really the kind who goes around every map advertising help so…

If you need help with anything, just ask if you see me online. Ingame, mind, I don’t monitor my message inbox on the forum. Send a whisper or something along those lines and let me know what you need. As a mesmer I can do extremely cheapskate things like complete jump quest portions (or entire jump quests) and vistas by portalling to the end. As one of the stronger mesmer soloists around I can also generally help to take down almost any opponent should you need that for a quest – this is probably more relevant for Personal Story quests since in most of the map cases there should already be a few players around you to help even before you ask for it.

Of course, if I don’t respond to the whisper even though I’m online, I could be:

- In World vs World
- In a Fractal
- In a Dungeon
- Already helping someone else
- Otherwise extremely busy such that I’m not available
- Away From Keyboard

In all of those cases I won’t be able to help you out.

And also bear in mind that I can’t help you optimise your build because I haven’t played any other classes yet – and even for other mesmers your style of play may vary enough from mine that I may not be able to give you any useful advice. That is something you will have to learn for yourself.

Otherwise, I’ll see what I can do to help you out – which can range from information on how you can solve the problem yourself to direct assistance. I’m in the process of unlocking the map now so at first there may be initial delays in getting to locations, but after a while I should be able to get to most waypoints in less than a minute.

There may be cases where I can’t help, in which case I will let you know. But you do not lose anything for asking.

Just leaving this as an open invitation to forum users who may be new to the game. This service is free – it’s just something I’m doing because I find I like to do it, and it’ll add a bit more meaning to my endgame experience over only grinding for a Legendary, WvWvW, Fractals or Dungeons (which I also do). Somehow, it feels meaningless to me to only talk about helping NPCs all the time and earning ingame ‘Karma’ for it without also helping real people as well.

My avatar name ingame is Mikazuki Aura.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Bumping this in support.

I’m working on a website for new players, but before that, I want to add my name here. If you ever have any question about the game, just PM me (type “/tell Falunel” in chat without the quotation marks) or send me a mail, and if I’m not busy or afk I will do all I can to help you. Even if I am busy, I will try to reply telling you that I am, but that I will get back with you the moment I’m free- if you don’t get a followup or any sort of reply, by all means message me again. If you’re very new and the spam prevention system keeps you from messaging me in-game, send me a PM on these forums. I check my inbox here every day and will always reply.

I play on the Tarnished Coast server and will gladly run with you if you’re on the same server, as long as my guild isn’t asking anything from me. If you’re not on Tarnished Coast, there’s unfortunately no guarantee I’ll always be able to play with you, given I can only guest on two servers a day- however, you are always welcome to guest to the Coast yourself. And no matter what server you’re from, I will answer your questions.

My main is a charr elementalist, who I’ve played since launch- I am currently working on another elementalist, and sometimes play my ranger/mesmer/guardian alts. I know a little about every class, having tried them all at some point and ran with skilled players, but my specialty is elementalist. Though I’ll give no guarantee that the way I prefer to play my ele is the same as your preferred style (I don’t use staff much, for instance), and I won’t give you a specific build if you ask for one, as I believe the best way to find a good build is to tinker and experiment rather than copy another’s.

Again, this is all free of charge. There will be cases I can’t help, but I will do what I can. As Hayashi said, you lose nothing by asking.

Welcome to Tyria.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

The thread is now a year old, I’ve had a few requests, but not much as back then, megaservers didn’t quite exist yet.

Now that everyone is smooshed together in the same maps, it’s no longer necessary to guest unless something guild related is happening. I could recreate a new thread, but I don’t really see the point since the general topic hasn’t changed.

Under the new system:

1. You can request for help with any content whenever you need, just add me to your list and whisper when necessary. This can take the form of a question where the help you get is an answer, or it can take the form of going to you and physically completing something. Say, a champion. I am not capable of soloing any of the Krait Witches, Tequatl, Triple Wurm, the Melandru event chain or the Balthazar event chain. Everything else in PvE is not a problem. WvW I cannot help unless we’re on the same world. And regardless of who else is in your party or how they’re geared, I should be able to complete any dungeon left you leave in any state as long as the other people are still playing. My limit for most dungeons is 3-man or 4-man in afk cases, though specific dungeons may be uncompletable for game mechanic reasons (e.g. CoFp1 with one AFK in brazier phase).

2. Unlike one year ago I’ve now mastered every single class and every single crafting discipline, and can now help with any class or profession-specific questions as well. This includes creating builds. Note that different classes are good at different things, so certain things are impossible – I cannot create a condition guardian for you that can ever come close to matching a condition thief, let alone a ranger or necromancer – but I can create the best possible condition build possible for a guardian if necessary. Or the best way to use a sceptre-torch/staff direct damage mesmer in terms of traits/utilities, even if it will never match a mesmer build with a sword in it for direct damage. ‘Play how you want’ will rarely yield the ‘max efficiency approach’, but it’s possible to preserve what you like in a given playstyle while improving the results somewhat.

3. Starting this Feature Patch (which consolidates all guilds across worlds), any new player can also ask for an invite, and I can add you to my guild to buff your Magic Find. Depending on how many people use this, gathering, karma or xp buffs may also be activated – I’ve already unlocked all of these features in the guild. This: 1. helps in asking/answering questions as cc is easier to use than whispers, and 2. gives buffs to everyone involved. Full representation not required and you can leave if you find another community you’d rather be with, this is merely to buff you for free until you find such a guild you want to attach yourself to more permanently.

4. I will not be granting requests for any direct financial help because this kind of thing almost always ends up being abused by players who don’t actually need it. This doesn’t mean that I won’t necessarily give it on my own accord to people who actually need it (because at the moment there’s nothing I need that I don’t already have), but it does mean that begging for gold will get you nothing.

The basic idea is the same as a year ago. Ask and you’ll receive, for free, as long as I’m not otherwise engaged with someone else in the game.

I doubt I’m the only one willing to do this, but I don’t see any other threads in the forum offering, so other veterans who are willing to help newer players may wish to chime in here so people know who to approach.

My signature contains links to all of the builds I’m personally using. They’re all optimised for very specific purposes and are generally speaking not ‘meta’, but all are roles that ‘only that class can do’, in which they have atypically good performance. They’re updated as I change the builds over time in response to patches.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)

Posted by: Laela.1506

Laela.1506

Oh, I could use someone of your caliber! Writes name down Ok, got it. TTYS, I hope.