Tankiest build in the game?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Graybes.8251

Graybes.8251

Which profession? What weapons? What trait setup? Just curious as I always like to have at least one character in a game that is super tanky for those times where I just want to be so incredibly hard to kill. Don’t care about damage output at the moment. Just pure defense.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

You gotta lot of choices, Norn, Sylvari, Asur- wait no, wrong dialogue.

Honestly your best bet is either

1. Guardian – Load up on the toughness, boon duration and healing power. A combination of wall of reflection, sanctuary, and boons everywhere will help keep you alive for a staggering amount of time

2. Warrior – Power/vitality/toughness gear. Superior rune of the soldier. Run 30 into the trait that gives vitality, and 30 into the trait that gives toughness. Then you’ve got two choices, either take the “banners heal” trait and use banners. Or the “shouts heal” trait and take shouts. If you take shouts, grab superior runes of the soldier for added condition removal. Weapon is usually a hammer and then sword/warhorn. Hammer for the disables and warhorn for the swiftness/vigor

3. ele – Boon duration, healing power, toughness if you can. I dont remember the exact traits, but you want some arcana for the faster attune swap, pick up the elemental attunement trait for the boons on attune swap. grab the trait in earth that gives protection when you use an aura. grab the one in water for removing a condition when you attune to water. Then basically the choice is yours (just dont go fire) Run mistform, lightning flash, and cleansing flame on utilities, and run dagger/dagger. You should be looking at ridiculous boon up time if you’re doing the stance dance revolution properly, and your ele has a pretty wide variety of enemy shut downs (stun, 2 knockdowns, chill) as well as a plethora of heals.

4. Necro – power/vit/toughness I guess? It wont be optimal, but it will be tanky! Run plague form. When in plague form you are now essentially immortal. (plague form gives ~18K more hp, and almost 3000 bonus toughness) No, I do NOT suggest this build at all ever. But it is tanky as heck.

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

4. Necro – power/vit/toughness I guess? It wont be optimal, but it will be tanky! Run plague form. When in plague form you are now essentially immortal. (plague form gives ~18K more hp, and almost 3000 bonus toughness) No, I do NOT suggest this build at all ever. But it is tanky as heck.

You’ve got 2 options with Necro. The first, and easiest, is to get loads of Soldier’s or Cleric’s gear. Soldier’s would probably work better, and it’s what I used. Then max out your Toughness and Vitality skill traits. Take all Minion skills. Take the traits that make minions Life Siphon for you, make minions steal conditions off of you, make Life Siphon 50% more effective, lower the cooldown on minions, and make minions have 50% more hp. For weapons, take Staff (for the AoE Regen, AoE Chill, AoE Weakness combo, and AoE Condition Transfer) and whatever else you want besides Scepter.

You are now very tanky, and effectively immune to conditions. Be sure to keep an eye on your Blood Fiend’s health, and eat him if he gets close to dying. He should have a 15s cooldown.

You also have Death Shroud for times when your pets get hit with AoE and die too fast (effectively doubling your already massive HP pool). It’s also handy for when you need a quick fear to interrupt stuff, or to cast grasp to keep chill on something.

Finally, your pets damage is static no matter what stats you have. It doesn’t matter that your crit is low if a lot of your damage comes from pets. When I run this build I usually opt for a tad more damage, and put 20 in the Power line (for the trait that increases minion damage), 20 in the Toughness line, and 30 in the Vitality line.

The other, probably tankier build is….

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer/The-Abomination-necromancer-tank-build

(edited by PinCushion.7390)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Pretty much as Zeny says for Warrior, although I use Mace/Shield with reflects and extra toughness trait for shields. Also gives interrupts from mace/shield combo

Posted by: samski.5194

samski.5194

I think most classes have a tanky way to spec.

I have played Guardian, Elementalist and Mesmer tanks/bunkers all with success.

Posted by: Alkron.1345

Alkron.1345

Just adding to what’s been said, I’ve seen some ridiculously tanky Necro’s that can use Death Shroud incredibly.

Posted by: Kodesh.2019

Kodesh.2019

1. Guardian – Load up on the toughness, boon duration and healing power. A combination of wall of reflection, sanctuary, and boons everywhere will help keep you alive for a staggering amount of time

I roll Knights (PTP) gear with Soldier runes. Have Altruistic healing roll with shouts as utilities. Cavalier (PTC%) for my accessories. Using Purity (Crits drop conditions) on my Sword/Hammer and a Soldier (PVT) Mace/Shield (with healing sigil on shield and energy for dodging on mace) and a Staff with Bloodlust to build power stacks easy mode in WvW or in big packs. You can also change the stacks to whatever u want with a different sigil.

Posted by: Irena.1062

Irena.1062

Well the profession for those who want alot of health and armor is warrior. If you just want to sit there and take hits this is the best.