Tequatl's I Found it! achievement

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Cahir Aep Ceallach.2783

Cahir Aep Ceallach.2783

Q:

Hi
I have problem with obtaining this achiev. I’ve read how to do it and even watched a video on youtube, but after second phase of boss battle starts (when it’s lower than 75% of it’s life) i can’t see any vortexes/whirpools around us that can suck me into watery grave (I have my fingers on ctrl and alt also for better visual of this effects). This hasn’t happened to me only once but atleast few times i’ve chalanged Tequatl. Is this achievment bugged or changed on the course of last months ? If not how to get it?

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

A:

Even with good Teq groups, you have a chance to get this achievement.

The whirlpools will only begin to appear when Teq is reduced to 75% of his health, as you say. However, the first set of whirlpools will appear right away once Teq is brought to 75%. So once you see the “Determined” buff appear on Teq as he gets to 75%, you need to start looking for the whirlpools, as that’s likely the only chance you’ll have to find them. The NPC giving instructions during the fight will helpfully mention whirlpools dragging people down as well.

The whirlpools themselves are AoE circles like the poison fields, but there’s a visible swirling water inside them, and tendrils reaching up from them. Run into the middle of one of those and stand there. Be careful of dodging, as you can dodge the whirlpool’s ‘attack’ and thus not get pulled down. You don’t have much of a window to get them, but once you know when to look for them (right before Teq flies away for the first battery phase) you should be able to find one and jump in without too much trouble.

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

Ehmm..I learned that If you have a real good tequatl fighting team, the amount of damage done to it between phases is so big it wont get time to spawn the vortexes (but correct me if I am wrong).
I actually choose NOT to fight it with my tequatl fighting guild but choose a random decent map just to be able to get this achievement

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Posted by: Cahir Aep Ceallach.2783

Cahir Aep Ceallach.2783

thank you guys so much, esspecialy you Mao
I will look around for those whirpools

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

Is this still the case? I keep trying over and over and can never see the whirlpools. This achievement is very frustrating with the small window of opportunity you get in such a long fight. And if you happen to die when he is about 75%? Well, too bad. Have to try again in 3 hours. Is there a spot near Teq that they are more likely to appear? At his feet while stunned, in front, behind, any advice to finding it would be welcome.

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

If you stand to the right of the little island right in front of his foot you should get sucked under. Not sure what time you run but if you are ever on around the 11:30pm PDT mark hit me up and I can show you where you need to stand. You’re only likely to get one shot at it if the zerg brings there A game

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

(edited by Soren.9316)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If you are trying to do this you should try to get into a slightly less organized map.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

There is almost always at least one whirlpool in front of the north turrets as Teq hits 75%. You just need to be there and ready when it pops.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

I suggest manning the turrets, the field vision widens a lot and you can see them clearly. You can spot them easy there are like tentacles pulling in animation. From my experience there is allways one in front of the west turrets.

Ralanost.8913

I tried that. All the circles look the same. Stood in a few and nothing happened. I have no idea what I’m looking for or how to trigger it. This is insanely frustrating especially when you consider how long I have to wait between attempts.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

The whirlpool circles are smaller than the finger damage or cripple field circles, but they still have the filled in orange colour. They don’t have green or black mist coming off them, but have a subtle whirlpool effect on them. You’ll also sometimes see what look like miniature fingers reaching up from the circles to “grab” something. You pretty much have to be near one when they spawn, since you have 2, maybe 3 seconds to get to it before it disappears.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Ralanost.8913

Finally managed to get it in a midday slow group. I stayed in front of Teq most of the time helping people and killing fingers. I will still say, never seen the whirlpools before that. I honestly think this is something Anet should look at and possibly think about reworking the mechanics.

Posted by: Azathoth.2098

Azathoth.2098

I have exactly the same problem!
I can’t see any vortexes!
Anet should change it, so that the vortex will also be there after Tequatl’s death for some minutes.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Ehmm..I learned that If you have a real good tequatl fighting team, the amount of damage done to it between phases is so big it wont get time to spawn the vortexes (but correct me if I am wrong).

This is my belief, that the mega-server zergs now do so much damage to him that I don’t think they always spawn any more. I think the DPS rate is so high now with ascended/legendary bedecked zergs that the script just doesn’t have time to spawn the vertexes before the boss flies off, and once he lands again, forget it.

I managed it once by pure luck, I was raising someone and just so happened to get sucked down .. but that was in a noticeably ‘sub-par’ map with far fewer players than the capped-map zergs we get all too often these days.

I’ve been trying on a second character and after 20+ fights I’ve yet to even see one, let alone manage to get to it before it disappears.

If you stand to the right of the little island right in front of his foot you should get sucked under

A pity this poster didn’t say WHICH of his two front feet, each front foot is by an ‘island’ during the fight.

And does ‘right’ mean ‘right as you look at him from the front’ or’ his right’? Anyone know which foot he was referring to?

I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos but they both were obviously made before the zerg DPS rate was as high as it is now.

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Soren.9316

If you stand to the right of the little island right in front of his foot you should get sucked under

A pity this poster didn’t say WHICH of his two front feet, each front foot is by an ‘island’ during the fight.

And does ‘right’ mean ‘right as you look at him from the front’ or’ his right’? Anyone know which foot he was referring to?

I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos but they both were obviously made before the zerg DPS rate was as high as it is now.

It’s his foot (left foot if you are facing him) on the south/east side of the map — the one the zerg always pummels at the start of the fight. Generally you get them spawning at his feet or just behind the zerg on the island where the fingers pop up.

The issue is that the zerg generally puts out so much dps that they push the phase so Teq never gets a chance to spawn them. The only time I ever seem them is if I’m leading an event and specifically tell people we are gunning for whirlpools for the achivo. As we near the 75% mark on his heath I’ll get my zerg to back off and let the pools pawn.

Generally you will only get this 1 chance to get the achivo cause once the battery phases are done the dps happens so fast we just chain the phases together.

Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

I actually got this achievement yesterday at the Tequatl fight during the dailies switchover. I was standing just in front of his left foot and a vortex appeared just to the left of me. The vortexes were announced in the voice over so pay attention to that. Good luck.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Thanks Soren, with that clarification I was able to get it yesterday, though TBH it was a fluke, I had died and run back and had given up on it for that run as his DPS was around the trigger point, I was revving someone when suddenly I’m in dark water.

I never saw it, it must simply have spawned where I was.

Incredibly frustrating now due to the zerg’s DPS, Anet need to tweak the script to adjust for that.

Soren.9316

Great to hear Kraggy!!!

Ya the 2 major achivo’s that players are always looking for at my runs are Whirlpools and Tail Flail

Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Posted by: Mark.5348

Mark.5348

Ive been trying for these two for two weeks, sometimes twice in the same day. Nothing… Never seen a vortex and dodging behind his butt, under the tail, has yielded nothing but deaths each time I try. Stuff like this is not fun…

Posted by: zakuruchi.4086

zakuruchi.4086

From experience, I think he always spawn the vortex at least once (the 75% hp, when he starts to be immune to damage before flying). The thing is, the vortex placement is seemingly randomized between a number of possible spots. The two spaces i know is in front of his left foot and in the shallow water in front of north turrets, just past the finger spawn there.

If the zerg dps is enough to chain burn, he doesnt spawn any more vortex after that, so you only get one shot per 3 hours.

Soren.9316

Ive been trying for these two for two weeks, sometimes twice in the same day. Nothing… Never seen a vortex and dodging behind his butt, under the tail, has yielded nothing but deaths each time I try. Stuff like this is not fun…

The easiest way to get the tail flail achivo is to stand behind him and get feared so your toon runs under his belly. The other thing to look for if dodging/jumping is to wait for the point when Teq rears up to slam the ground → this is when you need to jump/dodge (the point between when he rears and slams the ground)

Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Posted by: TerminalMontage.5693

TerminalMontage.5693

I need to get into the watery grave for my juggernaut achievement, and I’ve been running every TEQ for a few days now, even maps organized by random people do too much damage, there are no vortexes. It’s a real pain in the butt.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I usually arrive right at the spawn time and that usually gets at least one or two to spawn during the 75% transition.

If you can organize a big enough group an easy way to get this would be allowing the first laser phase fail. It will wipe everyone but it will also give you plenty of whirlpools. Teq can be killed normally after that.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Try zone into the map at spawn time, or even 2-3 minutes after spawn. You do take the risk that the map doesn’t have the DPS to even get Teq to the 1st battery phase, but any map that has more than 5 minutes to organize will have too much DPS for the vortexes to spawn in a consistent manner.

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

One thing I noticed in the last few runs I’ve done is that often the pools appear and the female Hylek’s warning to “keep clear of the whirlpools” can happen right at the moment Tequatl goes invulnerable as he’s preparing to take off for the first time.

So, one possible cue is to keep a close eye out for that icon and quickly look around for the orange disc and the tendril animations.

This happened today on a high DPS map, the pools still appeared but it’s easy to be focused on the take-off and arrival of the ‘defend the batteries’ event and miss the pools.

Posted by: Marrg Artax.1245

Marrg Artax.1245

Got this yesterday.The I got it achiv.
Reason why I post this it happened in the last phase.
Teq was less than 25%,and the zerg was moving in for the final attack.
I dodged in between his to front feet,while meleeing him,
and suddenly I was dragged under.
Didnt see any whirlpools tho`,too much people for that.

This was a full map with 3 comms.