That new player question.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: psibrid.1920

psibrid.1920

Well, i was gifted this game by a friend and while i come from many other mmo’s his experience with this game is very lacking in the department i want info in.

PVP!

I am looking for a range class/profession/set/etc.. whatever it is they call it in this game. Every game i play my play style is ranged with heavy burst and high mobility. I tried playing elemtnal to about lvl6 and it seemed… slow… mesmer seemed more dotish-quick-small-numberish. I haven’t tried anything else i have been suggested ranger and engineer. I browsed the forums a bit and it seems like ranger is the kitten child of pvp so i guess thats out of the question? i don’t know. I guess that leaves engineers?

Anyways outside of the class question i plan to get into all type of pvp so i would need a class that can fit decently in all of them. maybe excell in the one people tend to que for the most.

And another question is.. any suggestions on how to level as quickly as possible? any links / guides / etc.. ill take them all.

Thank all!

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I’m not saying you’re in the wrong section or anything because hopefully some PVP’r will tell you what you want to know here but if you look below this section in the main part of the forums there is a PVP section. You’ll probably have more luck there and they should probably be able to answer you.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

If you’re ONLY doing PvP your level doesn’t matter, since you have access to all level 80 gear and weapons for free in PvP (of course, not usable in PvE or WvW land). Maybe you should try every class with a number of weapons sets and builds and see which one you enjoy the most? Thieves seem to be much feared in PvP, but that’s just what I read.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: NornBearPig.9814

NornBearPig.9814

Firstly, do you want world PvP or arena PvP? Answers about what’s viable could be very different depending on the mode.

Mesmers have strong burst with shatter builds. Eles are also capable of strong burst. Warriors have strong melee burst. Ranger Engi and Necro tend lean more toward sustain damage.

(edited by NornBearPig.9814)

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

Have you tried double daggers on your Elementalist? That is one of the more mobile playstyles.

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Sounds like you want a warrior. I haven’t played one but they have famously high mobility and range (rifle). They are considered OP in WvW.

D/D Elementalist is a melee character – massively fun to play IMO but probably not what you are looking for. Staff Ele is ranged (not very) but has slow attacks.

Mesmer is highly mobile in combat and is an excellent ‘kiting’ class but paradoxically it’s out-of-combat speed is pathetically slow.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

@ Op ranged and burst… don’t go together that well. Mele will always hit harder.

The highest dps single target ranged weapon in the game is scepter on guard… but gl hitting any players with that.

Eng can do ranged burst with a static discharge build… but it lacks defence and once you’ve sort of blown your burst you’re pretty defenseless.

Mes can do good damage at range with the greatsword, but idk if I would call it burst. The burst on mes is usually more from rooting them + blurred frenzy + shatter.

The ranged burst on thief is from pistol pistol… which is just a laughable weapon set.

Ele with scepter dagger and fresh air can burst hard, but I don’t have much experience playing as that, so I won’t comment too much on the plusses or minuses of that.

Sounds like you want a warrior. I haven’t played one but they have famously high mobility and range (rifle). They are considered OP in WvW.

D/D Elementalist is a melee character – massively fun to play IMO but probably not what you are looking for. Staff Ele is ranged (not very) but has slow attacks.

Mesmer is highly mobile in combat and is an excellent ‘kiting’ class but paradoxically it’s out-of-combat speed is pathetically slow.

I have no problems getting around quickly on my mes… it just depends on how you build the mesmer and how you play it. With focus -20% traited + runes of air you have perma swiftness… then a teleport (blink)… and a 2nd teleport if you have a target around (phase retreat)… and a 3rd if you include portal.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

psibrid.1920

Yeah ive been trying every class up until level 8-9ish to see.

So far i love the engineers dmg. im using a rifle right now with the elixir that increases fury. idk if thats any good.

My ele is “ok” but while i do enjoy the mobility it just doesn’t seem like that have the burst im looking for.

As for my mesmer… i love the amount of random things he can do. I find the weapon combos a bit… well.. awkward. since im technically using a 2 handed sword to shoot things at range. 0.0? that took a second to understand.

I think right now im stuck between engineer and mesmer. My friend is telling me tho that way too many people play mesmers. Almost to the point of playing “Mesmer Wars 2” he says. I don’t really know so i can’t say anything on the subject.

Which over all would give me the most burst / mobility? mes or engi? mostly looking for a class that does decent in both WvW and Spvp. I tend to lean more to WvW since i do like fighting the masses.

Aberrant.6749

How something plays at low levels is a poor indication as to what they can do at 80. Traits make a HUGE difference. IMO what you’re looking for is a S/D Ele. Eng is by far my favorite class though (but not for ranged burst).

I would youtube up some videos of scepter dagger elementalist, static discharge engineer, and greatsword mesmers.

Tarnished Coast

psibrid.1920

Im going to have to try S/D ele. ive only tried d/d and staff. I know its a poor indication but youtube videos drive new players in circles with things they don’t know much about obv. and the only way to really check it out is to play it yourself so i am stuck at this crossroads

Aberrant.6749

Im going to have to try S/D ele. ive only tried d/d and staff. I know its a poor indication but youtube videos drive new players in circles with things they don’t know much about obv. and the only way to really check it out is to play it yourself so i am stuck at this crossroads

Yea that’s true you’ll see a lot of 1v4’s etc… but the 4 will be really really bad lol. You could look up some duel videos though. Often they’ll show some very close matches between two classes (although they are also cherry picked and don’t normally show the losses).

You could look up a build, take it into Spvp and try it out there.

Tarnished Coast

psibrid.1920

biggest issue im having is how the skills interact with one another etc… the tool tips are very odd in how they explain things so i have to experiment to figure them out. its been slow paced but over all i just need to stick with one now. it seems like mesmers can out burst eles by a ton atleast at range anyhoo. eles seem to be more close range style combat. atleast it feels that way

Aberrant.6749

biggest issue im having is how the skills interact with one another etc… the tool tips are very odd in how they explain things so i have to experiment to figure them out. its been slow paced but over all i just need to stick with one now. it seems like mesmers can out burst eles by a ton atleast at range anyhoo. eles seem to be more close range style combat. atleast it feels that way

They’ll be updating the tooltips and traits in the next patch to give more information.

With ele, the scepter will give you range (900) and the dagger will give you mobility. Once you get more traits you’ll be able to cycle between elements more quickly and use that to burst.

Mes can shatter at range in PvE but if you try that against a competent player it’s far less reliable 1v1. In WvW your clones/phants are going to die very fast if you try that against a group (thus they often won’t reach the target). You might get out an izerker for one spin through, but it won’t last long enough for a 2nd. Gs auto attack is pretty nice though since it’s a beam attack (doesn’t get reflected) and hits up to 2 additional targets in that line (ele scepter can do this as well with air attunement). Gs = 1,200 range.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Ranged and burst dont really mix on most professions.

I would recommend a shatter Mesmer! Tge playstyle looks something like: when you want to burst someone, you get close and unleash low cooldown skills in a certain order, that will instantly down players who dobt know what theyre doing. (Most of them)
This combo can be done every 12, and while it recharges, you use your many evades, teleports and stealths.

Shatter mesmer has an incredible skillcap, because you have to use mobility and othwr active defense to survive.

It is, however, very difficult to start out with, due to the current meta, but the reward for learning it is huge!

If youre in an EU server, I can meet you up in game, if not, you can still ehisper me or send a forum PM if you have questions regarding the game/pvp/professions/mesmer.

Also, you start with all gear available, so you dont have to level first for pvp ;)

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

Posted by: freelancecoma.8629

freelancecoma.8629

Psibird. To help you as much as I can. Ill make a video for you on Youtube

psibrid.1920

Psibird. To help you as much as I can. Ill make a video for you on Youtube

I would love you forever!

My problem is guildwars playstyle is really different and the tool tips are overwhelming within themselves its bad enough having to experience new playstyles but not knowing exactly what your doing is even worse.

Honestly i don’t even look at my trait window anymore out of fear of not knowing what i am doing if i am even spending my points correctly etc…

It is nice breaking the norms tho feels odd but refreshign to be able to play a caster both range and melee. etc…

psibrid.1920

Ranged and burst dont really mix on most professions.

I would recommend a shatter Mesmer! Tge playstyle looks something like: when you want to burst someone, you get close and unleash low cooldown skills in a certain order, that will instantly down players who dobt know what theyre doing. (Most of them)
This combo can be done every 12, and while it recharges, you use your many evades, teleports and stealths.

Shatter mesmer has an incredible skillcap, because you have to use mobility and othwr active defense to survive.

It is, however, very difficult to start out with, due to the current meta, but the reward for learning it is huge!

If youre in an EU server, I can meet you up in game, if not, you can still ehisper me or send a forum PM if you have questions regarding the game/pvp/professions/mesmer.

Also, you start with all gear available, so you dont have to level first for pvp

Sadly i am not on euro i am based on US eastern time. -.-; Would be awesome to have some ingame guidance but thats wishful thinking plus i don’t like bothering people by having them follow me around im sure it must get frustrating

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Go with engi
//15chars

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

This is not exactly a new player question. The only way to answer is to play the game on several classes and see what you like. Seeing as you can do that on a level 1 character, that shouldn’t be too difficult

You can start with sPvP, since that lets you use all your skills and traits. There are test dummies that you can practice on to see what works for you.

Then run around WvW a bit to see what more experienced people are doing, and try to make a build that you would enjoy and that would also work with what you’d like to do in WvW. If you don’t want to or can’t run with a zerg, perhaps a teamwork build is not for you, and you, or the opposite.

(edited by AntiGw.9367)

psibrid.1920

is there a way to duel in this game?

Aberrant.6749

Kinda sorta, but not really. It involves using a custom arena in sPvP. The dev’s said they wanted to add dueling in the future though.

There are also 1v1 fight clubs that pop up now and again in WvW, but it’s certainly nothing officially supported. The normal spot for this is on a boarderland near the windmill at the very south of the map. I’ve also seen it in EB JP at the start to the east, but that spot is less commonly used.

Tarnished Coast