The Misery Of Indecision...M/H.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Starbird.4029

Starbird.4029

So – a bit of advice here. I adore the look of the medium armor in this game, but aside from the P/P Thief (which I have been told and have found out the hard way is simply not a viable leveling PvE spec), none of the medium armor classes appeal to me.

Engi’s – gah. Too gimmicky.
Ranger – Not a fan of pets.
Thief – Not a fan of dying endlessly.

I really enjoy my guardian, but I am not a fan of the plate sets (why oh why can’t there be some sort of Heavy ‘coat’ look?).

So – if you could choose a class that was fun to play but no fun to look at, or cool looking but a nightmare to level as…which would you pick?

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

they should allow transmutation of different armour types but only the helmet so i can wear hoods, wouldnt ruin the whole warrior heavy armour mages light armour concept either, dont get me wrong i understand why it needs to be like that but surely just the helm wouldnt harm.

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

I really enjoy my guardian, but I am not a fan of the plate sets (why oh why can’t there be some sort of Heavy ‘coat’ look?).

Try the heavy arah legs, they have a but-cape that looks like a trenchcoat.

RedCobra.7693

After Playing Runescape for about 7 years and seeing EVERY SINGLE PLAYER wearing a cape xD it was kinda hard to get used to seeing 0 capes in game, however if the animations were done right and there were no clipping issues it could be a good addition to have a cape.

RedCobra.7693

Lmao Yeah i agree, also Norn cultural tier 3 gives a cloak look

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

If you’re dying constantly as a Thief, then you’re playing a combat style that’s not well suited to your personal tastes. My own Thief uses Sword/Pistol and it makes leveling remarkably easy. Between Pistol #5 spam while you Sword #1 everything down or through using Combo #3 when you’re against Champions / dredge, you’ve always got something up your sleeve. I personally like S/P because it is far more about holding a specific area of land than it is about dodging like a butterfly.

For reference, P/P is considered to be one of the weakest Thief weapon sets and it’s not something that you’d want to play through on your 1st Thief character.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

Starbird.4029

Lmao Yeah i agree, also Norn cultural tier 3 gives a cloak look

Thanks But I’m really after something closer to that deadly Miststalker look.

Starbird.4029

If you’re dying constantly as a Thief, then you’re playing a combat style that’s not well suited to your personal tastes. My own Thief uses Sword/Pistol and it makes leveling remarkably easy. Between Pistol #5 spam while you Sword #1 everything down or through using Combo #3 when you’re against Champions / dredge, you’ve always got something up your sleeve. I personally like S/P because it is far more about holding a specific area of land than it is about dodging like a butterfly.

For reference, P/P is considered to be one of the weakest Thief weapon sets and it’s not something that you’d want to play through on your 1st Thief character.

S/P seems to be the top spec for leveling, with D/D being pretty popular too. I just really don’t want to be a melee thief :|

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

S/P seems to be the top spec for leveling, with D/D being pretty popular too. I just really don’t want to be a melee thief :|

Ah… Then you pretty much don’t want to play a Thief. Our AoE ranged option of Shortbow is a decent back up weapon, but Pistol/Pistol is our weakest weapon set available and is in serious need of a rework.

I’d suggest that you take another look at a Pistol/Pistol build for Engineer. If you use P/P in some kind of condition / critical hit build and combine it with one of their weapon kit utility skills (like Grenades or Bombs), it should probably play closer to what you’re looking for. That kind of build can have almost permanent Quickness through a couple of Minor traits, which can lead to your having Vigor whenever you’re under Quickness (for just another Minor trait choice). This will let you still dodge around like a Thief and will let you ranged combat to your heart’s content. (My personal vote would be a Charr Engineer since they have exclusive access to the Dual Hidden Pistols toolbelt skill. This skill is the Thief’s P/P skill called Unload, just with a different name.)

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

nightmare to level but cool to look at. If you think about it, your “nightmare” will only last until he’s 80. But past that, it’s smooth sailing (which, undoubtedly, you’ll spend more time post80 than pre80)

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

They get a lot of stick here, but I really enjoyed my ranger in PvE and in WvW, and my favourite class is guardian. The ranger has a good mix of weapon sets available (in terms of fun, I never cared too much about being competitive with it), and you can sail through PvE with a mix of ranged, melee and AoE attacks (and then get technical with traps and pets and all of that if you like). If pets don’t appeal to you then they can basically be ignored and still deal a decent amount of damage for you (though you might get annoyed at them if they draw aggro from random mobs if you’re really anti them to begin with).

Starbird.4029

Ah… Then you pretty much don’t want to play a Thief. Our AoE ranged option of Shortbow is a decent back up weapon, but Pistol/Pistol is our weakest weapon set available and is in serious need of a rework.

I’d suggest that you take another look at a Pistol/Pistol build for Engineer. If you use P/P in some kind of condition / critical hit build and combine it with one of their weapon kit utility skills (like Grenades or Bombs), it should probably play closer to what you’re looking for. That kind of build can have almost permanent Quickness through a couple of Minor traits, which can lead to your having Vigor whenever you’re under Quickness (for just another Minor trait choice). This will let you still dodge around like a Thief and will let you ranged combat to your heart’s content. (My personal vote would be a Charr Engineer since they have exclusive access to the Dual Hidden Pistols toolbelt skill. This skill is the Thief’s P/P skill called Unload, just with a different name.)

Yeah, I have a feeling that I’m going to have to reluctantly shelve my thief…a pity, because I adore the look of the class.

Engi – ick. Super duper gimmicky, not at all the ‘gunfighter’ that I want to play. Unless I’m totally misunderstanding the class.

Starbird.4029

Also – having to play a drooling chihauhau monster is a dealbreaker :|

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

Yeah, I have a feeling that I’m going to have to reluctantly shelve my thief…a pity, because I adore the look of the class.

Engi – ick. Super duper gimmicky, not at all the ‘gunfighter’ that I want to play. Unless I’m totally misunderstanding the class.

I tried a pistol/pistol engi with all potions and had fun in wvw but its mind-numbingly slow to pve with that spec so I deleted it mid-20s. If I ever get enough gold piled up again to craft something straight to 80 i’ll give it another go.