The Scythe: a weapon request from a die-hard dervish

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Skystalker.2758

Skystalker.2758

Back in GW1, the Dervish was pretty much the only class I really enjoyed playing mainly because of it’s versatility as both a spellcaster and melee, but also because they used the coolest weapon in the game, the scythe.

I was severely disappointed when I found out that dervishes wouldn’t be in GW2 but slightly comforted that the Guardian would be similar. However, the trademark weapon that I loved so much is completely absent.

Henceforth I am making a formal request to Anet to add scythes to the game.

Posted by: Eirikr.4198

Eirikr.4198

second this i loved the syth!

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Maybe they will in future updates with different sets of skill hopefully…

Posted by: kamikaze.7495

kamikaze.7495

i was pretty sure i saw a necromancer with a scythe today. it might have just been the visual of a staff but it looked really cool

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Should put together a post with some requested weapon types/class allowances.

I could see Scythes being a nice thematically appropriate melee option for Warriors, Necromancers, and Mesmers.

I’s also like to see land-based spears come back to the game as a weapon type, possibly for use on Guardians, Eles, and a few other classes that don’t have the pistol option.

That said I’d guess that new weapon types are likely one of the things we’ll see in expansions as well as possibly a few playable races (All signs point to Tengu being playable at some point) and maybe even a new class per expansion.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: kamikaze.7495

kamikaze.7495

i suggested this on a thief related thread, but i would like to see dual swords or claw weapons introduced.

Posted by: logg.2450

logg.2450

Hope to see Scythe added in an expansion!

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Id say scythes just for Warriors and Necromancers, Mesmers got their lazor greatsword~

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

Posted by: TxJBxT.9370

TxJBxT.9370

Heh I’d love to see the Dervish class again.

Posted by: Odin.8691

Odin.8691

see i would love it if the engineer would get a flame thrower, not just skills for it. i was so depressed when i found out the engineer couldnt use one.

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

More classes seem to be a given for expansions, and that likely comes with new weapon options.

Right now there are a lot of classes, personally it is going to take me a good while to work through all the options, they all seem so good it was hard to make the first choice!

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Remember that they must save things for future updates and expansions.

Posted by: Devilmore.2139

Devilmore.2139

Considering Zhaitan is the boss of the current content and also the one blocking the way to Cantha, I believe the GW2 addons will follow the same order as GW1 did.
Meaning Kralkatorrik blocking the way to Elona will be next – I’d assume IF there are gonna be Dervishes around, it will be then.

Posted by: Hyena.9648

Hyena.9648

Wait for the Dervish class to be released :O
I’m hoping they release the Ritualist in an upcoming expansion…

“I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.”
— Mark Z. Danielewski, Only Revolutions

Posted by: quickthorn.4918

quickthorn.4918

i was pretty sure i saw a necromancer with a scythe today. it might have just been the visual of a staff but it looked really cool

Our no.1 staff attack skill looks like a scythe when cast, but out of combat it goes back to looking like a normal staff again.

Posted by: Fendelphi.7951

Fendelphi.7951

To be honest I dont think that they will have a “Dervish” or “Ritualist” class in any future expansions, as some of their playstyles and flavour was used in the other professions(Guardian especially seems to be a mix of some Ritualist and Dervish components).

They might emerge under a different name, with a slightly different(addapted) playstyle though.

As for weapons, I would like Spears, heavy polearms and scythes to get into land based combat.
But before that, I would like the current weapons to be as balanced to each other as possible.

Hyena.9648

To be honest I dont think that they will have a “Dervish” or “Ritualist” class in any future expansions, as some of their playstyles and flavour was used in the other professions(Guardian especially seems to be a mix of some Ritualist and Dervish components).

They might emerge under a different name, with a slightly different(addapted) playstyle though.

As for weapons, I would like Spears, heavy polearms and scythes to get into land based combat.
But before that, I would like the current weapons to be as balanced to each other as possible.

I can dream,kitten

Hyena.9648

…it just changed “dam mit” to kitten in my post. Best censoring ever

Posted by: Soothsayer.9476

Soothsayer.9476

I agree. The Dervish was the best class in GW! The Scythe rocked and the Dervish looked so cool in their hoods

Posted by: BlyssOblyvion.2345

BlyssOblyvion.2345

i would just like the elementalist to actually have a couple weapon setups. if we had more options with weapons, our lack of weapon swap wouldn’t be such a letdown

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I bet that there will be an elona themed expansion in the future, and if it includes a new profession, it’ll probably be a variation of the dervish and add scythes..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Almoryk Kane.6085

Almoryk Kane.6085

Im thinking that both Dervish and Ritualist may be combined into 2 seperate new classes. Perhaps combine the Ritualist with the Summoner idea they had for Guild Wars Utopia. Thing is when you brought multiple Ritualist in a party 2 spirits of the same type couldn’t be used. So you had to have two seperate builds which worked too well of course. Even a third ritualist doing healing spirits was a bit op. There is no way they could do that restriction in an open MMO. So a possible 5 man team all Ritualist using the same best spirits? Way too hard to balance. But making it limited on the spirits would make it too much like the mesmer. Perhaps something they did with the minion skills.
As for my favorite class the Dervish bringing him back wouldnt’ make scence story wise. The sunspear order were praticaly whiped out. That knowledge lossed. What would be amazing is a daker version of a Dervish. Like an underground resistence forming in Elona. Dervish was all about tanky, high damage, and removing enchanments to make secoundary affects. Kind of like the Gaurdian but a darker version of the Dervish could be about conditions and high damage. Ripping boons off of enemies to power himself and allies.
As for who gets the sythe aside from dervish, Warrior, Necromancers, Theives

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

Hmm it would take some work to be done, but think all the suggestion would be awesome:)
Or maybe a more permanent look for the necromancer staff.. if they make a scyther for the necro let it be rangede direct dmg or con, not marks:D
And if they give scythe for guard wouldn’t it be a okay Dervish replacement?:D
In fact they could but more weapons in the game, but to balance abilities and make them feel unique would take some time:)
Also just miss an ability to be able to hit my opponent with my staff:P

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

I’m going to guess we will have to free Elona from Palawa Joko before we can get Dervishes as a playable profession again and with that the addition of the Scythes.

Possibly in a future expansion. =)

Posted by: CC Charles.3675

CC Charles.3675

Community Coordinator

Hi,

Please refrain from posting suggestion/game feedback topic while the appropriate subforum are not opened yet.

Thanks for your understanding.