Thief, Mesmer or Necro

Thief, Mesmer or Necro

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: jknrich.1549

jknrich.1549

Hello guys. I am looking to run a new class. It’s for pve and WvW. The problem is I’m not sure what I should run.

I want to find a class that makes me want to carry on to 80. To get past the low level stuff and be rewarded.

I like the idea of conditions and I tried a ranger and they seem a bit boring and a bit flat. So looking to try something new.

I like the sound of good condition damage but also strong pve. I want to be able to enjoy the class as much as I do my engineer and guardian.
These both classes ate setup for high crit dmg.

So I don’t know a lot about either 3 classes I have listed. Some help and advice would be great.

Or if there is another class to look at please list it and explain.

Your advice would be great.

Thief, Mesmer or Necro

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

If you think that Guardians or Engineers are not able to put out High damage you should look through the fourms for some of their DPS threads. I have ran a Zerker guardian for a while with Sword Focus and I have alot of fun with it. Makes for much more fast paced action.

That aside on the the other three for WvW the thief is king of Solo roaming. Even if you take one someone you can’t beat you can always stealth and run for it. Mesmer can be powerful if the person your fighting, “Aka a thief” is mainly doing single target damage and is easily confused by which of you is real. However this only really works if they don’t know which of you are real, if they can pick you out of the crowd your gonna get hit hard.

If you want something powerful for all of it though. I think that most people will agree that Warriors have things pretty good at the moment, and I haven’t had as much fun lately as I have with my Neco.

I try to give out advice on these but honestly I enjoy playing all eight jobs and its so hard to say that one better.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Thief, Mesmer or Necro

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

If you want to be the boss of condition damage, then go Necro.

I haven’t levelled a Necro, personally, so I can’t comment, but I found thief really boring to level up and in general to play in PvE. However, I’ve had a blast playing a thief in WvW and sPvP.

My Mesmer wasn’t boring to level up, but it took a while for it to get good. It seems they scale a lot better when they’ve got all their traits unlocked. They’re wanted for PvE and WvW, though their role seems a bit different.

There is a Necro roaming WvW build in the Necro forum, I believe (I can’t link it, I’m on my phone), so a Necro is viable at roaming, which would make conditions a lot more useful. The problem with condition damage in large scale battles like zergs at world bosses, is that you become less and less effective the more people there are damaging a single target as conditions cap out. This is less a problem in WvW. I’ve encountered quite a few Necro condition builds used against me in WvW, but that’s owing to there being a lot more than a single target in large scale battles.

I think i’d try out a Necro and a Mesmer if I were you, but if you definitely want a condition build, then go Necro.

@Talyn – I think you misunderstood his post. He was saying his Engi and Guardian are built for high crit damage. He typo’d ‘are’ with ‘ate’.

(edited by JayMack.8295)

Thief, Mesmer or Necro

Posted by: PlayerX.5307

PlayerX.5307

@Talyn – I think you misunderstood his post. He was saying his Engi and Guardian are built for high crit damage. He typo’d ‘are’ with ‘ate’.

^ this. Tehe

Why ask? Try them out yourself. No one can tell you how YOU feel about a class. I personally loved my mesmer when I first played, but burnt out and took a break from GW2. When I came back I tried Engineer and fell in love. Personal preferences.

Thief, Mesmer or Necro

Posted by: Rskin.4901

Rskin.4901

I would go Mesmer, the skill cap for certain condition builds are high, and others are pretty faceroll. But other than that I personally find them fun as I almost always have to react to what’s going on instead of spamming a rotation over and over again

Thief, Mesmer or Necro

Posted by: samski.5194

samski.5194

Everyone seems to have the same question :p

Mesmer gets my vote!

PvE
Soloing CM – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPM6tBpYACk
Soloing AC – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYpox-LXW4c

WvW
Soloing WvW Towers – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGW_9RwssX0
Outnumbered fighting gameplay – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iKlnt96vdo

Thief, Mesmer or Necro

Posted by: Zach.3264

Zach.3264

Well, I currently have a 35 Mesmer, 31 Thief and a 70 Necro. I made my Necro just a few days ago (used the level 20 scroll) and so far I’m loving it.

I do really enjoy Mesmer, but I feel like Necro are far better damage and survivability. Also, Necro leveling has been so easy with full power + wells. Their AoE is just superb.

If you’re wanting Conditions then yes, Necro is far better. Not only that, but Necromancer’s Epidemic is bordering on overpowered in my opinion. Such a low cooldown, 3 stack of self vulnerability is definitely worth what you get in return.

Personally I love Epidemic during world boss/champion events. There’s always full stacks of conditions on those, fire off an Epidemic and watch the sorrounding enemies melt instantly.

(edited by Zach.3264)

Thief, Mesmer or Necro

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

My first character was a ranger, and while I love her, I do find her rather flat to play. My Necro is now 62 and I am loving her, she seems a lot more involved in the fight than the ranger was. I still have a pet to tank for me, but I find I am using my range of skills far more, all my weapon skills and then throwing around wells as well. So basically I am saying try a Necro, you could love it and it certainly seems to be king of condition damage.