Things I wish I knew when I started playing.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Layam.9065

Layam.9065

Post things you wish you knew when you started playing. So those that come after us will have an easier time.

- I didn’t know “B” wasn’t the only pvp tab. If you go into your Hero tab(H) there’s a PVP tab there as well.

- You only need to go back to your trainer to relearn your traits and expand you character’s trait trees.

- To pick up an item you got from the trading post you need to go to a corresponding trader. They’re noted on your map as golden scales.

-You should complete a zone( All the villagers helped, all the vistas seen, all skill challenges met, and all the waypoints and points of interests found) as you are rewarded for it with both an achievement and items!

- Guild Wars 2 isn’t just about combat leveling, you gain exp from gathering, exploring and crafting.

- You can change the color scheme of your armor by opening your hero tab(hit H) then clicking the eye dropper icon over your head armor slot.

- You can change an items appearance with a transmutation stone.

- Do not gather a high level node with a lower level tool(Axe, sickle or pick). For example if you mine iron with a copper pick, you’ll gain lumps of ruined ore. That’s not a good thing.

- Try to complete your daily achievements for a daily reward even if you don’t meet your personal goal a daily kill or a daily event will still reward you!

Posted by: jtblount.8179

jtblount.8179

- You can deposit your collectibles from anywhere in the world by clicking on the gear symbol on the inventory pane and selecting “Deposit all collectibles.”

Posted by: Rand Silk.2738

Rand Silk.2738

Careful, you lose your minis.

Posted by: Kermit.3691

Kermit.3691

- you can access your bank AND your crafting bank from any crafting station, which is nice…BUT…you HAVE to have crafting mats in your personal inventory in order to be able to craft with them

- crafting those malign, vital and mighty sigils and using the discovery panel to work them into weapons yields far better equipment than the standard swords and armor

- crafting a weapon with sigils in the discovery panel requires not the finished weapon, but the two components that make the weapon + the sigil

Posted by: Airala.8629

Airala.8629

…unless you keep your minis in an Invisible Bag, in which case they are ignored by the “deposit all collectibles” function.

Posted by: Ashaman.9376

Ashaman.9376

… just found this topic because my mini’s all vanished … if I used the " Deposit Collectibles " with the mini’s in my bag and they are now gone, is there a way to get them back … or am I SoL ?

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

- you can access your bank AND your crafting bank from any crafting station, which is nice…BUT…you HAVE to have crafting mats in your personal inventory in order to be able to craft with them

- crafting those malign, vital and mighty sigils and using the discovery panel to work them into weapons yields far better equipment than the standard swords and armor

- crafting a weapon with sigils in the discovery panel requires not the finished weapon, but the two components that make the weapon + the sigil

All good points that should be documented somewhere in-game. The first needs to be fixed. If you can access the bank slots from the station, why not just be able to craft them from there, too. I think that makes too much sense.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

Posted by: Saint.5914

Saint.5914

… just found this topic because my mini’s all vanished … if I used the " Deposit Collectibles " with the mini’s in my bag and they are now gone, is there a way to get them back … or am I SoL ?

They’re in your collections tab at the very bottom

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

holding “alt” key while dragging stacks lets you split them.

didn’t know that until yesterday.

Posted by: Irene La Gamatius.1657

Irene La Gamatius.1657

- For cheap teleports to Lion’s Arch : Press H go to the last tab “PvP” and then travel to Heart of the Mists. Once spawned you will see the Lion’s Arch gate in front of you.

Posted by: Tremayne.6734

Tremayne.6734

If you need to make bronze when crafting, the tin ore is sold by the merchant next to your crafting station. Don’t do what I did and spend two beta weekends looking for tin ore nodes out in the world!

Bashing on keep doors since 2001.
Rambling insanely at tremayneslaw.wordpress.com since 2010.
Proud member of The Farstar Alliance (http://farstarguild.co.uk) on Gandara (EU) since 2012.

Posted by: Cloud.2178

Cloud.2178

Copper. Copper. Copper…

MINE EVERY CHANCE YOU GET LOW LEVELS.

Pyro Jo – Level 80 Engineer – Darkhaven

Posted by: Zarael.9107

Zarael.9107

Trading Post takes an additional 10% when item sells. It hasn’t been up for too long so it hasn’t affected me too much. But this is something I don’t think a lot of people know considering the amount of people that sell for 1 copper more than the merchant sell price.

Posted by: faith.8560

faith.8560

You can access collectibles by opening your bank and clicking on the left collectibles tab. You can also access the bank (and collectibles) at any crafting station.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

You’re not limited to what resources you can gather, no matter your profession.

Posted by: Antikrux.1432

Antikrux.1432

You can turn off double tap evades and use the V key + a direction to evade instead. This is really useful for some of the platformer style puzzles where you may be trying to get close to an edge by hitting w a few times in a row, but do not want to roll off the edge.

Posted by: Yoshi.6954

Yoshi.6954

1. Green colored gear is better than Blue colored gear. Dang you Wow!

2. When you complete a heart, the NPC you helped turns into a karma vendor and sells awesome green and blue gear.

Posted by: Rock.7324

Rock.7324

Doing all the quests, waypoints, PoI, Vistas and skill points in a single map will reward you with a nice bonus (exp, money).

I didn’t know that until I read it yday in a chat somewhere. Now I wish that I had time to go back and do them all in the zones I went through so far.

* ’Ko leži ne beži! *
Rockbaby – Asura Guardian, Desolation EU :)
Rockavenger – Dwarf Paladin, Bronzebeard EU :D

Posted by: Endo.5806

Endo.5806

- Some Supply wagons drop lump of tin. Wish I knew before wasting 80c at the vendor.
- Didn’t realize I could just hit “O” to open AH. I kept running back and forth to the bank.
- Dying wastes money. I attempted to jump into the water and ended up landing on rock. I’ve unnecessarily died too many times
- Not every Vista, waypoint, skill point is shown in the location you’re in. I had a hard time finding the last vista and didn’t realize I had to discover an area to see it on the map. Wasted a lot of time.
- Listing fee is non-refundable

Posted by: cursive.8192

cursive.8192

- Some Supply wagons drop lump of tin. Wish I knew before wasting 80c at the vendor.

Where can I find supply wagons?

Posted by: Mestev.2463

Mestev.2463

- That each map area karma merchent sell all the same name type gear for that map area. So if looking for lv 50 gear that does not have cleric name ie healing stats don’t think the next heart merchent in that map area will have a different name gear you need to change maps. (Same goes for gear drops it’s limited to 2 or rare 3 names, so cleric & savage or travaler & knight)
- We can not craft aqua and back gear (need to find that special karma merchent)
- Yes you can get better aqua gear (wasn’t aware of this till lv 50)
- Yes we get back gear and it’s not a guild cape (lv 35 personal story line when I saw it for the frist time)

Posted by: Tyber Valens.5148

Tyber Valens.5148

Killing absolutely everything in creation (rabbits, raccoons, chickens etc) advances the indiscriminate slayer achievement. Thank you Arenanet for rewarding such violence.

Templar Valens – Human – Guardian
Server: Maguuma

Posted by: Veetoe.7689

Veetoe.7689

You can move the mini map to the top right corner of the screen by dragging the corner resize arrow.

The little things, I know…

Posted by: Rock.7324

Rock.7324

Killing absolutely everything in creation (rabbits, raccoons, chickens etc) advances the indiscriminate slayer achievement. Thank you Arenanet for rewarding such violence.

What does that achievement do? I mean, how do you get it?

I killed many a rabbit and nothing yet

* ’Ko leži ne beži! *
Rockbaby – Asura Guardian, Desolation EU :)
Rockavenger – Dwarf Paladin, Bronzebeard EU :D

Posted by: Steppenwolf.5130

Steppenwolf.5130

You can merge one items appearance with anothers stats. Wish I knew this before I sold my thiefs hood.

Posted by: judeobscure.2537

judeobscure.2537

helpful tip..

you can type /wiki (whatever youre looking for) in chat and it will take you to the GW2 wiki page. ex..
/wiki exp
(to learn about how GW2 calculates experience)
or
/wiki condition damage

and for fun you can type /age to see your character and account ‘time-played’ stats. and you can type /deaths to see how many times.

its hard to remember we’re alive for the first time
its hard to remember we’re alive for the last time

(edited by judeobscure.2537)

Posted by: ProudPlatypus.7628

ProudPlatypus.7628

You can make a temporary drawing on the map, ping a point and set a personal waypoint. Shift and left click/hold to mark a point or draw on the map. You can do this from the main map or mini map. Alt and click to set a personal waypoint.

Posted by: Chiolas.1326

Chiolas.1326

WvW rounds temporarily last for 1 day, so there is no reason to waste money fortifying keeps and little reason to play this game during an unknown period of time

Quit WvW and Gw2 in August 2013

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

-Every professions is way too much fun, you’ll never be able to decide what to play !

Posted by: donttread.9304

donttread.9304

What are minis?

Posted by: donttread.9304

donttread.9304

What are supply wagons? Where can they be found?

Posted by: wyrmwulf.1824

wyrmwulf.1824

the fact minis are deposited really irritates me…lol

i keep telling him to stay, but he won’t listen.

wyrmwulf.1824

What are supply wagons? Where can they be found?

there are a lot of supply wagons in NorthWest Grendarran Fields.

wyrmwulf.1824

You can make your own music playlist!

here is a link from ArenaNet Senior Programmer. James Boer about how to do it, it’s actually really simple.

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/jim-boer-explains-custom-playlists/

Posted by: Metaphorical.3207

Metaphorical.3207

- If someone’s location in your friends list, or your guild roster is orange, they are in a different realm.

-When partying, right click on your party member’s portrait and hit “Join in <x>” to join their instance of the zone.

Check out [Bane] and their Website

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

That nearly everything armor/weapon wise has terrible clipping on the Asura . I love the race and they are super cute, BUT my god at how badly this race is in regards to clipping armor/weapons.

I took my elemental all the way to 21 and hoped that later stuff got better, then i found the PVP preview closets and nearly every single weapon that sits on your back clips with the armor and actual character (and some of it is pretty terrible).

I’m now leveling a Sylvari instead, hardly any clipping at all.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: Skipjack.6730

Skipjack.6730

Horde everything, if its a collectible keep it, you will need it at some point, and explore every nook and cranny of the maps, lot of hidden treasure chests in caves and jumping puzzels. Also chests respawn and can be re opened daily, keep a mental note of where they are so you can return later to more loot.

This message was brought to you by the Brinewater Corporation.

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

As posted above, some have missed it - the solution to the depositing the mini pet thing is to put them into "invisible bags" - look them up, it works fine.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Remember to use your Function keys in combat, not just your skill bar. The defining mechanics of your profession are likely in the Function keys.

What are minis?

Miniatures. Little, non-combat pets you can collect.

Weird, the forum isn’t properly showing quotes. When I edit it says Donttread, not Rand Silk twice.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

Posted by: Scherazard.7246

Scherazard.7246

Gather EVERYTHING. Upgrade bags first and foremost then gather anything and everything you can find. Odds are you’re going to sell them or use them.

Scherazard- Blackgate server

Posted by: Rinn.2375

Rinn.2375

You can turn off the visibility of your headgear.

Ad astra per asperas

Posted by: Dokrane.4702

Dokrane.4702

You can make a temporary drawing on the map, ping a point and set a personal waypoint. Shift and left click/hold to mark a point or draw on the map. You can do this from the main map or mini map. Alt and click to set a personal waypoint.

If you’re in a party, will they also see the waypoint?

Posted by: SnakeAes.5328

SnakeAes.5328

…unless you keep your minis in an Invisible Bag, in which case they are ignored by the “deposit all collectibles” function.

There’s a Deposit All Collectibles function???

Where is this?

“Victorious warriors win first, then go to war;
defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.”
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Posted by: Kensel.1428

Kensel.1428

If you’re in a party, will they also see the waypoint?

Yes they will.

There’s a Deposit All Collectibles function???

Where is this?

Open your backpack and at the top right corner is a gear which has a deposit all collectibles and compact button.

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

You cannot jettison NPC characters off cliffs to kill them as you could in SWTOR.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Posted by: Rhiaden.3986

Rhiaden.3986

That when leveling through lower areas, many drops scale to your level, especially chests.

Posted by: jlhopwo.1347

jlhopwo.1347

Have you heard of oiled bags? If you have one, junk items will go there first, if there is room. Makes your other bags a little more tidy/organized.

Posted by: Layam.9065

Layam.9065

To add to that. Different bag types do different things be sure to read them and make sure you’re putting what you want in the right bag.

Also the bag has a menu, when you open your inventory there’s a little cog wheel in the upper right hand corner.

Posted by: Skipjack.6730

Skipjack.6730

Don’t pug AC at 30, get an expirianced (can’t spell and spell check didn’t save me) guide to show you the ropes and use vent/mumble with some friends the first time. And don’t expect to faceroll anything in there. (Its a good thing IMO)

This message was brought to you by the Brinewater Corporation.

Posted by: Magitaur.4180

Magitaur.4180

There is a red bar under each of the icons on your skill bar. When it disappears, you’re in range.