Tips for Role-play, please!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Sckolar.1473

Sckolar.1473

Hello, I was just looking for Role-playing suggestions. I am fairly new to role-play, and was hoping it is even possible in Guild Wars 2. My issue with this though is it feels awkward in a crowd of players, feeling that no one around me really does Role-play. Is there some way to tell who Role-plays, and who does not? It would be nice if it was possible to put a tag next to your name indicating that you RP, but I am not so sure that is possible. Aside from that, what are suggestion to get involved in RP?

Posted by: Millionaires.4201

Millionaires.4201

I have heard of Role-play servers, cannot remember what ones.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Tarnished Coast and Piken Square are the unofficial role-play servers.

You can find people on other servers who will RP though. My advice would be to just try it and see what responses you get. If no one replies or if they reply out of character don’t force it, but you’ll probably find at least a few people who will join in.

Also remember that the NPCs in this game use fairly modern and often informal language so you should too. “Oh my gods that was awesome!” actually looks a lot less out of place than “Tell me good sir, where doth thou findeth an inn?” in this game and is a lot easier for people to respond to.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Riversdale.4987

Riversdale.4987

Hi Sckolar

If you want to get into roleplay then I’d try and join one of the offical rp servers which, as Danikat has already mentioned, are Tarnished Coast for US servers and Piken Square for EU servers.

You might also want to look at and join this site – www.guildwars2roleplayers.com

You’ll be able to find guilds that roleplay and can either join one of them or look out for them in game and strike up a conversation with one of their members. There’s no official rp tag as such but if they’re a member of one of the guilds on the site they shouldn’t mind a quick rp chat.

The other option is just to wander around and look for people roleplaying. You’ll probably find it easiest to run into people roleplaying in the major cities specifically Lion’s Arch and Divinities Reach (at least on Piken Square) though you may bump into some race specific guilds in the other cities.

A good place to start would be to wander round the taverns as roleplayers can’t resist a good chat over a mug of ale. It’s a fairly public place so it’s easier to accept a stranger into the conversation rather than plonking yourself down in the middle of a couple’s romantic picnic which may result in you being shown the pointy end of a sword.

Joining a roleplaying guild though really is the best way to find and get into roleplay so I’d really try for this if I were you.

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

“Oh my gods that was awesome!”

Battlestar

[SFD] – Maguuma

Posted by: Alf.9137

Alf.9137

waves warmly at Sckolar

Hey there and welcome to the game

As mentioned Tarnished Coast (US) and Piken Square (EU) are the “unofficial” RP servers though imagine other servers might have their own groups of rp’ers too.

Guildwars2roleplay.com is a great site for all things RP on those two servers as they have guild recruitment and general discussion forums for you to find like-minded people.

This game has a great community so you could also ask in-game.. perhaps in the Lions Arch Map Chat for RP Guilds etc or make contact by forums to find people.. or PM people in here you like the sound of perhaps.

I’ve loved fun Roleplay for decades now and look forward to seeing how this game adds to our RP options & fluff in future.

Best of luck and happy adventuring.. perhaps we’ll meet upon the well trod road to greatness.

Edit: Thanks Donari

(edited by Alf.9137)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Alf typo’d! It’s guildwars2roleplayers.com

If you get onto Tarnished Coast there is always a ton of RP to find via guilds or just running across it in the world.

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

If you’re new to roleplay, my suggestion would be to find a guild of roleplayers to do it with. I pretty much only do rp with some ‘real life’ friends of mine and most of the time we use party chat, with guild chat as an OOC channel. That means you don’t have the potential embarrassment of /say, and you don’t get in the way of non-roleplayers (I’m not on a recognised rp server though, I don’t know what it’s like on Tarnished Coast).

Guildwars2roleplayers.com is no doubt a great place to start, and once you find an rp community they can probably connect you to more. I really want to see guesting implemented so I can visit Tarnished Coast one day!