Tips to completing WvW Borderlands Maps?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Joseph.9853

Joseph.9853

Hello there GW2 community!!!

Recently, I have went back on my first, and only, maxed character to get one major thing done that I, and probably many others, dread on doing. You heard me right: map completion.

Although I have 70% of the map done, I was recently told that the Borderlands (Crystal Desert, Isle of Janthir, Henge of Denravi, & Eternal Battlegrounds) were apart of this, and my mouth dropped.

With only two more vistas in EB, and HoD Borderlands completed, and being apart of the HoD server, what tips can be given to when it comes to trying to complete the Crystal Desert + Isle of Janthir Borderlands? How come they all don’t ‘connect’, since it’s basically the same map again?

And if anyone wants to be a big support to me, and happens to be on HoD as well, would anyone be interested in helping me get through these areas? Or at least give me some tips/tricks on how to get through these areas easily?

Thanks so much everyone.
-Lanthun

Lanthun – [WISE] Wizened Wizards (Founder/Leader)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

At the moment, the color your server gets is random. Usually its pretty easy to complete the map on your home border (unless you are completely dominated).
So check in every week, if your server color changes.

If there is only 1 or 2 points of interest left on a map and there is a commander, just ask him, if he could help you gain access or promise him a bit of gold, if he does.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Luckily our server is doing well and we usually have most of our BL map, so all you need to do is wait.
When HoD become red server for example, just complete it and wait for the server to change again to blue or green.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’m on HoD and I’m a PvEer. So far I’ve done it on 2 chars and starting on a 3rd.

I just wait till I see some areas I don’t have that are our colors, run in, grab them and leave. If I just get a couple of places I count it as a good days work. ^^

From what I can tell, HoD is either really strong against their opponents or really weak. If it’s the weak period, I just wait a week and see what the next matchup looks like.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think regardless of what server you’re on the main thing with WvW maps is just to be aware that it’s not going to be something you can rush through all in one go.

The main reason people seem to have a problem with it is that the leave it right to the end, when they feel like they’ve almost finished and want to get that last little bit done ASAP and then get frustrated that it’s not going to happen that way.

But as long as you know it will take multiple trips, probably over a few weeks, it’s not bad at all.

I think the best approach is to check in a few times a week, at different times if possible (e.g. Friday right after the reset, a weekend morning and a few week days), get whatever you can on each map (which will only take a few minutes each time) and take note of whether there’s a zerg running and where they’re going. If they seem to be going in the right direction go with them and you can get towers, keeps etc. as they capture them.

If your server has team speak it might also be worth listening in for when they’re doing things like taking Stonemist Castle.

That’s how I got 99% of the maps done even though my server kept alternating between 2 colours. When we finally turned red I only had 1 POI left to get, and I could have gotten it earlier if I hadn’t decided to go for a different one instead.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The real issue with this is keeping a good check on when your server has what color and making sure you clear that borderland during the week you are the right color. Note that this can often be frustrating as it is possible to go for months without ever having your Sever get the color you need.

When your Sever has a specific color make sure you tavel to EB and get whatever locations you can (this can take several trips and possibly is best reviewed at different times of the day if possible).

Of course, you need to keep a close eye on Stonemist and jump at the chance to get in there and clear the central EB map. This can be quite difficult if your Server is less than competitive at WvW and you are up against superior Servers most of the time. It’s worth a look at the ladder to see the relative WvW standings of your current opponents and consider if your Server even has a chance to get Stonemist control during the current matchup.

Note that I’m not an expert at this and all of the above is kind of obvious stuff.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Also a good tip, try to join the WvW in the reset day (about 1 hour after the Friday daily reset) that is the time most players push the attacks.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Pay attention to what color your server is. At reset this week look to see if your server’s color changes. If it does, then go into your server’s BL as close to reset as possible, to grab your map stuff as your server takes things.

Posted by: Joseph.9853

Joseph.9853

Thank you everyone for the tips! I appreciate them very much!

Looks like I’ll be running these areas tomorrow evening then, and seeing what I can get!

Lanthun – [WISE] Wizened Wizards (Founder/Leader)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As others have said, it will require a bit of patience on your part while your server gets the colours you need. Each week, I suggest doing the following:

1. Map your server’s area in Eternal Battlegrounds, up to and including Stonemist Castle if you can reach it.
2. Map your home Borderlands sector, up to and including the NW and NE camps.
3. Map the rival Borderlands sector for your server, up to and including the Bay or Hills Keep, and the S camp.

Of course, if you login and notice that your server has control of an area you need, make a beeline there and nab it while you can.

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

I am on HoD, so feel free to add me in game, as I only WvW and can help you out. Best tips are find a WvW guild, HoD is VERY much into voice coms, so get on the TS server and listen, go into the WvW channels and find a guild/commander who is going to run that BL you need and when they do be sure to be on and ready. As you are not going to get the points in keeps/towers by yourself, you will need to be with a team to get those, unless we have an awesome day and cap/hold the whole BL, other wise you are going to need to be there at the time of the cap, as caps are hard to hold and often don’t last long in an enemy BL unless the guild is making it a point to WP some of the keeps in the other BL.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

General advice :

explore the map in groups : a roaming team of 5 people can scare of annoying roamers, and protect each other. Ask in the chat or use the lfg to set up such a group.

Avoid doing the exploration during the beginning of a match. Friday evening (UTC+2), saturday and sunday are the moments where the battle are intense and every person should help commanders instead of exploring.

Be opportunistic : you BL might be dominated by an other server, don’t hesitate to explore all borderlands and grab whatever you can. Monitor the states of all borderlands so you can quickly switch should a fort change of allegiance.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone