Toughness or Vitality ?

Toughness or Vitality ?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: EarthSage.7284

EarthSage.7284

new to the game- what gives you a better chance to survive toughness or Vitality? trying to figure which would be better to focus on. Thinking Toughness but would like to hear others thoughts

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

Usually the best defense is a good offense. You want to kill the enemy as fast as possible while utilizing the built-in dodge feature.

As for toughness vs vitality, ideally it would be a mix of both depending on your armor class and the base health of your profession.

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Vitality = health, toughness = armor.

In most games it’s better to go for more health over more armor because there will be various types of damage that ignore your armor. But in GW2 it’s only conditions that ignore armor, so as long as you’ve got some type of condition removal you’re better off building toughness.

But a lot of people prefer to take the offensive route in PvE and focus on damage dealing stats, relying on their ability to dodge and/or kill an enemy before it has time to do much damage to keep them safe.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

What class and what aspect of the game (wvw, pve, pvp) ?

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: EarthSage.7284

EarthSage.7284

thanks for the replies. Currently I’m working on an Elementalist for Pve, and have been pushing to damage but was looking for what to focus on after that toughness or vitality

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Vitality is counter to condition damage, since it ignores armor and with more HP you can tank conditions longer, also helps with spike damage.

Toughness is counter to power, higher toughness is a good combination with high regen builds since you’ll receive lower average damage making it easier for the regens to corver it.

I recommend going you going to the the elementarist sub-forum and look/ask for a good bunker build.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

There is some speculation that just having higher armor/toughness generates more threat (so you get aggro a lot). There’s a little more detail on the wiki http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aggro

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

What pandemoniac said.

Between the two, Toughness reduces the amount of damage you take, so it’s better for protracted engagements, whereas Vitality is better for surviving sudden spikes of damage. However, toughness also makes more mobs hit you. Your sustained survivability is determined by a mix of toughness and healing power while your spike survivability is determined by a mix of toughness and vitality.

Also, toughness suffers from diminishing returns. 1/3500 and 1/3700 isn’t that much of a difference – only about 5% more survivability. But 1/2300 and 1/2500 is a 8% survivability difference. At higher levels of toughness, more toughness is less desirable than more vitality.

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Most people who PvE expect others to go into Power Precision Critical Damage to down mobs faster. If this isnt what you want then join a Role Playing guild.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

Most people who PvE expect others to go into Power Precision Critical Damage to down mobs faster. If this isnt what you want then join a Role Playing guild.

I think you mean “most people that speed run dungeons in PUGs” not most people that PVE. And I’m sure the RP guilds would prefer folks that actually have an interest in role playing. Just because you don’t follow the lemmings doesn’t mean you are an RPer.

Build your characters however matches your play style and ignore the folks who insist that you have to be in full Berserker’s or you suck. I’ve got a high toughness ranger and she does just fine. She’s extremely useful in pulling aggro off of the folks in full Berserker’s who keep getting downed, and she can go mano-a-mano with a Champ and his minions and keep them busy long enough for the folks that can’t wrap their brains around anything but DPS to get rezzed.

Don’t get me wrong – a good player in full Berserker’s tears things up, but simply wearing a full set of Berserker’s gear does not immediately confer an aura of awesome on you.

I also have a high vitality Necro that plays differently, but is just as durable. I figured with Death Shroud it would make sense to go full kitten and focus my build around having a large life pool. My ranger uses more of a combination of toughness and evasion. Whichever way you go, just make sure that your build supports the path you’ve chosen and don’t emphasize one aspect to the exclusion of all others ( there are diminishing returns as someone mentioned earlier in the thread).

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

My opinion is that toughness is not ideal for Eles in PvE, even if just for aggro reasons.

My main is an Ele, and her original support gear was toughness-heavy and she pulled aggro all the time in dungeons. I toned down her toughness, and even though she does more damage, she pulls aggro less often.

With so many people going with power/precision/crit dmg gear, they’ll have next to no toughness. If you stack any toughness on your Ele, you’ll likely end up with aggro most of the time.

If you need a stat to help with survivability, I would go with vitality instead.

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

Pretty much depends on how you play. I prefer getting vitality, but toughness has a synergy with earth builds

If you just play pve, power gives you a better chance to survive

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I think you mean “most people that speed run dungeons in PUGs” not most people that PVE. And I’m sure the RP guilds would prefer folks that actually have an interest in role playing. Just because you don’t follow the lemmings doesn’t mean you are an RPer.

Build your characters however matches your play style and ignore the folks who insist that you have to be in full Berserker’s or you suck. I’ve got a high toughness ranger and she does just fine. She’s extremely useful in pulling aggro off of the folks in full Berserker’s who keep getting downed, and she can go mano-a-mano with a Champ and his minions and keep them busy long enough for the folks that can’t wrap their brains around anything but DPS to get rezzed.

Don’t get me wrong – a good player in full Berserker’s tears things up, but simply wearing a full set of Berserker’s gear does not immediately confer an aura of awesome on you.

I also have a high vitality Necro that plays differently, but is just as durable. I figured with Death Shroud it would make sense to go full kitten and focus my build around having a large life pool. My ranger uses more of a combination of toughness and evasion. Whichever way you go, just make sure that your build supports the path you’ve chosen and don’t emphasize one aspect to the exclusion of all others ( there are diminishing returns as someone mentioned earlier in the thread).

I should’ve worded my response better than I did. I meant to infer that there are other ways of playing the game than going full berserkers in dungeons, even though I fall into this grouping. Generally speaking if you are not someone who speedruns dungeons then you are a roleplayer, and if this is not the case, then I am unaware of this other 3rd grouping.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

I should’ve worded my response better than I did. I meant to infer that there are other ways of playing the game than going full berserkers in dungeons, even though I fall into this grouping. Generally speaking if you are not someone who speedruns dungeons then you are a roleplayer, and if this is not the case, then I am unaware of this other 3rd grouping.

As a resident of the unofficial RP server and a strong advocate of RP and all gameplay styles, I feel obliged to provide this clarification:

Not speedrunning dungeons does NOT make you a roleplayer. A roleplayer is someone who “acts without a script”- who pretends to be their character and tells a story by acting as their character, as sort of a collaborative creative writing exercise. RP guilds are devoted to this practice (with storylines and sometimes elaborate plots), and not necessarily to dungeons, etc.

If you try to optimize everything, you are a min/maxer. If you do not care about optimizing everything, you are a non-min/maxer and simply a normal (or casual, depending on who you ask) PvEer. Thus, a player who does dungeons without caring about optimal setups (and there are a lot of people who don’t care about super deeps) would be considered the normal or casual PvEer, and a player who always strives to optimize everything would be a min/maxer. These definitions are blurry and depend most on the perspective of the person you ask, though.

Overall, the takeaway message is: RPer does not equal non-min/maxer PvEer.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

new to the game- what gives you a better chance to survive toughness or Vitality? trying to figure which would be better to focus on. Thinking Toughness but would like to hear others thoughts

It depends on how long you intend to stay in fights and how much you heal during the fights. By increasing Toughness you also increase the effective health-pool (take more hits with the same amount of health) and the effectiveness of any healing you receive (an amount of healing offsets more hits).

Health helps in surviving high bursts and against over-healing (receiving more healing then fits into your helthpool).

Toughness or Vitality ?

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

(…)Build your characters however matches your play style and ignore the folks who insist that you have to be in full Berserker’s or you suck.(…)

Here’s an educated guess:
Full exo Sentinel regen War vs Full exo Berserker dps War = DPS wins.

That’s just how the game math works, and having said regen/sentinel warrior I can say it sucks a bit in that way.
Another thing is dungeons, you can be the last warrior standing and get the other 4 up, but you still suck because according to them they only died because you weren’t doing enough damage…

So even if you can solo champs that zerkers can’t, you still gonna get some backlash.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]