Traits and skills baffle me

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Abeezil.2936

Abeezil.2936

My level 42 Asura Engineer has five Utility slots. She has a number of available skills I’ve bought, and four are in slots. That leaves one empty slot (I think)to put a skill into, but I can’t. And I’ve looked at all sorts of websites and whatnot but nothing seems to say ‘OK, do this’. I do find it difficult often to find information on the most basic mechanics of this game. Am I doing something wrong? Can you not equip five Utility skills at a time?

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Engineer is super fun!

I would b e more than happy to help you with skills and making builds if you want.

I’m playing the game right now so if you need help jump Online!

You can also contact me on Skype! Prefer voice chat if you’re cool with that.

Skype username: Dreamy Abaddon

Posted by: Minz.7683

Minz.7683

The last slot in your skillbar is an elite skill slot and can only be filled by elite skills.
Your skillbar is always broken up into 5 Weapon skills (slots 1-5), 1 healing skill (slot 6), 3 utility skills (slots 7-9) and finally 1 elite skill (slot 10) .
You can only put skills belonging to their respective category into a slot.
This essentially means that you must always have a healing skill and an elite skill equipped if you want your skillbar to be filled.
A lot of details and images can be seen on the wiki : http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill_bar

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Although each character has 5 utility slots 2 of them are specialty slots – the first one is for healing utilities and the last one is for elite utilities. If you have not purchased one of the more expensive, higher level utilities you have nothing to place in that last slot.

Oops. Minz beat me to it and gave a move detailed explanation.

Good luck.

(edited by Lazuli.2098)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

To follow on from what other players have said you unlock the elite skill slot at level 30, so you can use it. But the only skills that can go in there are the ones in the separate section at the bottom of the utility skill page which cost either 10 or 30 skill points.

(They’re more expensive because they’re more powerful skills, they generally also have a longer recharge time, which means they’re something you should save for when you really need it.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

More powerful, yes, unless you elect to use the racial elites or the ghost wolves that upgraded accounts can use. Those are all by design less powerful than the elites that every player can get, so as to avoid giving some min max weight to what race you pick or a “pay to win” in the case of the wolves.

Posted by: Abeezil.2936

Abeezil.2936

Thanks, all. I’m a 42, so will have a look for elite skills. The people both ingame and on this forum are really helpful and friendly and I like that. I’m more used to snarly, swearing, miserable people in the last game I played and that finally made me give it up after 6 years of playing.. This game is so completely different.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

More powerful, yes, unless you elect to use the racial elites or the ghost wolves that upgraded accounts can use. Those are all by design less powerful than the elites that every player can get, so as to avoid giving some min max weight to what race you pick or a “pay to win” in the case of the wolves.

They can all, bar the Mistwolf, make a significant difference.

The Mistwolf is slightly stronger than all racial summons, but it’s only one ally as opposed to 2. It’s also ridiculously squishy.

Each racial elite (and utility) has it’s own use and purpose. Some are not relevant to GW2 at all, but others are relevant to GW2, such as Hounds of Balthazar, Summon Fern Hound, Take Root, Summon D Series Defensive Golem, Summon Charr Warband, Bear Form.

Hounds of Balthazar is pure dps and is stronger, overall, than the Mistwolf. Individually, each hound is weaker, but together they do more. They also don’t have long cast times on their big damage skill[s].

Summon Fern Hound applies a lot of bleeding and can do good raw dps. Think Caltrops as a summon.

Take Root grants invulnerability for panic scenario’s while also dropping plenty of turrets, similar to Supply Drop.

Summon D Series Defensive Golem is basically Shield of the Avenger, which can cast up to 3 times. It might be relatively weak as an elite, but if you need to break projectiles, it can be useful. It’s also very beefy and can survive ridiculous amounts of beatings.

Summon Charr Warband is like Hounds of Balthazar and Thief’s Guild merged together.

Bear Form is almost a Fiery Greatsword.