Trying to play with keyboard only

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Gong.2637

Gong.2637

Hello

Im new to Guild Wars 2, actually new to MMORPGs in general. I came from FPS, H&S, and MOAB and wanted a change of games altogether, but im having lots of problems adjusting to the controls.

My first problem I have is the combat key bindings, its above the movement keys of the standard WASD. This makes movement impossible in the middle of the fights And I feel very awkward when I cant move and hit fast enough. I know u can rebind key to different buttons, but ill get to that after this.

The second is the mouse, what is the point of the mouse in a combat situation besides changing the camera angles? The mouse cannot control movement nor can it control directional targeting. See how when ur in FPS ur gun targeting is aimed at the center of the screen usually, when u move ur targeting, u change the direction you face, and used in conjunction with the W key, u get around to places only by forward and backward, without the need to use the A and D key. However, this wasn’t possible with GW2 since weapon direction does not track the mouse, so that option is out.

Then I tried to look for a way to use the mouse to move my character by clicking on the map, sort of like MOABs when movement is via mouse and combat via keys on the left side of the keyboard, but that wasn’t possible either. So im going to try plan C.

If any of you guys played Dynasty Warriors or Devil May Cry on a keyboard you would know what im trying to do. Take DMC for example, its keyboard only controlled when u don’t have a controller available. Movement via WASD as normal, but combat using the IJKL keys as well, Single target enemy lock-on with SPACE key. So, two hands was needed to perform SSS combos, with both combo timing and judging movement.

Im going to try something similar right now, ill leave WASD as movement, but rebind combat keys to my right hand around the home row area.

Ill keep this page updated as I test more.

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

I haven’t played DMC or DW so I sadly can’t relate, however I might be able to provide some input:

You can move with your mouse by pressing the right mouse-button (to move the camera angle) and the left mouse-button at the same time, this will allow your character to move whilst the camera stays behind them, automaticly making them face whatever you face (vital for melee combat, with ranged weapons I recommend taking target (tab) before firing) It is my preferred way of moving in this game (and any MMORPG I’ve played.) Though I still use my keyboard for strafing.

On top of that I have aboutface (turns your character around, can’t be used whilst holding your right mouse-button) and Look Behind assigned to hotkeys (I have them on my mouse, but might need to use your keyboard depending on how many buttons you have available,) which aren’t assigned by by default if I recall correctly. All these options combined should cover most movement/camera desires.

There’re a few skills in this game that need to be ground-targetted, by default these abilities will have a green circle (or arrow, depending on the skill) appear on the ground that can be aimed, if you don’t aim them, they will be cast at your feet which isn’t always optimal. Few examples include: Warrior: Greatsword 3, Longbow F1. Guardian: Scepter 2. Thief: Shortbow 245. Engineer: Everything on Grenadekit. Ranger Longbow 5. Elementalist: Focus Fire 4, Fire Dagger 3. Mesmer: Staff 5. Null Field. Necromancer: Staff 12345. As you can see I mentioned every class and these aren’t all the groundtargetted skills, so I’d make sure you find a way of aiming those without your mouse before deciding to play without one. I don’t know of any other way, then again I never had a reason to look for one. Eventually you’ll want to have them assigned to Instant (or Fast with Range Indicator) in your settings and let them aim where-ever your mouse-button is at to not waste precious time. (Especially in competitive play.) Something you might also want to cover whilst looking for a playstyle without a mouse.

Goodluck

(edited by Esmee.1067)

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

You’re looking for the exact opposite of what most MMORPG gamers want.

For most MMORPG gamers, the holy grail is using a minimum amount of keys on the keyboard, with everything else on the mouse. There’s at least two reasons for this:

1. Most keyboards are very limited in the number of keys that can be pressed down at the same time. This means that you’re more likely to run into situations where what you’re trying to do won’t happen because your keypresses are not being registered properly. An example of this? Let’s say I’m strafing diagonally on my Thief and want to jump while channeling Infiltrator’s Strike. This would require me to press 4 keys at the same time. Not only would this be mega-awkward, it’s also beyond the 3-key limit of most keyboards, meaning it just won’t happen. Having at least one (or more) of these on my mouse would completely fix the issue.
  2. MMORPGs generally use WASD for movement and the number keys and function keys for skills. For a lot of people, this feels unnatural. There’s two ways around it: rebinding to different keys or rebinding to mouse. Rebinding to different keys can result in the same situation reoccurring, especially when pressing multiple keys at the same time.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Some people shift there WASD over by one key and use ESDF instead. This allows you to set your skills to W,Q,A,Z,X,C,V,B,G,R,T and probably 3,4 as well.

Besides for moving the camera as mentioned above the mouse can also be used for movement. Holding both the left and mouse button will cause you to run forward, turning the mouse will also turn the camera and character while doing this. I personally don’t like this control scheme since it not ideal with ranged weapons and you can’t strafe.

Whether or not weapon direction tracks the mouse depends on whether or not you have a target selected. If you have a target selected your character will automatically towards the target. Often times I find that to be undesirable so I frequently fight without a target so I can cleave as many targets as the skill will allow. This also requires turning autotarget off.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

You don’t use the mouse for movement directly, but only with the mouse you are able to rotate your character to a direction where you want to move in zero time.

With the keyboard, you are somewhat limited in the direction you can let your character move. You can move forward (fast), strafe left or right (slow) or go backwards (even slower), but that’s it. If you need to turn your character a bit and run in that direction, you need to rotate your character, and this is slow with the keyboard. With the mouse you only need to jerk your mouse a bit while pressing and holding the right mouse button, and you face the direction you need in an instant. Nothing is as fast as this.

About the problem with moving and activating skills at the same time: well, it’s possible. I do it. I don’t know how it happens, but sometimes I watch myself moving with one finger of my left hand and activate skills with another finger of the same hand.

You should also be aware that for non-channeling skills you need to only tap a skill key to activate it, you don’t need to hold it during the activation time. You can continue to move immediately after tapping the key with almost no interruption of your movement. Only for channeling skills, you need to hold the activation key and are not able to move while channeling. Since you cannot move anyway during channeling, no conflict between movement keys and skill activation keys occur.

However, I changed the key bindings, so I don’t need to reach any keys beyond the line of ’5, t, g, b". My movement keys are ESDF, skills are 1..5, r, t, g, b, mouse button 3. F1..F4 is also on the mouse (I have a mouse with 4 thumb buttons).

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

With the keyboard, you are somewhat limited in the direction you can let your character move. You can move forward (fast), strafe left or right (slow) or go backwards (even slower), but that’s it. If you need to turn your character a bit and run in that direction, you need to rotate your character, and this is slow with the keyboard. With the mouse you only need to jerk your mouse a bit while pressing and holding the right mouse button, and you face the direction you need in an instant. Nothing is as fast as this.

Besides the speed difference turning while moving with just the keyboard will also require more space. This matters in things like the Spekk’s Lab JP and harpy fractal.

You should also be aware that for non-channeling skills you need to only tap a skill key to activate it, you don’t need to hold it during the activation time. You can continue to move immediately after tapping the key with almost no interruption of your movement. Only for channeling skills, you need to hold the activation key and are not able to move while channeling. Since you cannot move anyway during channeling, no conflict between movement keys and skill activation keys occur.

Channeled skills do not require holding down the button either. In some cases movement will cancel the skill like Hundred Blades or Empower but there is no need to hold down the button.

Maybe you are thinking of charged skills?

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

The mouse cannot control movement nor can it control directional targeting.

You are incorrect here; the mouse allows movement control just like almost any other FPS/RPGS that allow camara adjustment on the same controller. “Button on the right, smoother control it allows” as Yoda would say

You are comparing this game’s UI to a genre of games with mechanics left over from 15+ years ago, where the center aim point was always fixed to the camara and the mouse only has to control that aimpoint. It was born of a different time, and its simplicity allowed something closer to 1st person instead of iso 3rd person with the rigs most people had. Some people continue to prefer that in their gameplay today but it is extremely limiting for the player. Compare assassin’s creed movement along near rails to the freedom of jumping puzzles in GW2.

Your strong hand should never leave the mouse unless you knock your Dr Pepper off the desk. Once you get confortable with that a whole new world will open up, especially with newer games. Seriously.