Unable to make up your mind? - Discuss

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: AdamAdamant.7843

AdamAdamant.7843

I have this big issue with every RPG i encounter, for instance Skyrim it took me 100+ hours just to figur out which race i wanted to play, no kidding!
And Gw2 is no different, its been what? 6 months since release? and i still cant start playing because i cannot make up my mind on what race + class combination i want to roll.

Anyone else recognize them self? or am i the only one with this severe case of decision anxiety (correct word?) and if so how did you choose your race + class?

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

You are choosing a race for 6 months?? That is quite severe. Why don’t you just pick one, you can have multiple characters anyway.
How long are you going to spend deciding on class/sex/look then? At this rate it will take years….

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Exactly what soulmyr said. Just pick your favorite that instant and play. If you don’t like it switch. Just play 2-3 at the same time and narrow it down that way.

I picked race based on what made sense for the class. If I’m a warrior I wanna be big and strong = norn/human. If I’m a thief I wanna be quick/tiny = asura or a ranger sylvari. Some people like irony so they will make a guardian asura or a thief charr.

On that note, I’m not a huge fan of asuras because 80% of this game is cosmetic and you can barely see armor/weapons on asurans

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This is why I wanted to get into the beta tests so much, I used them entirely to try different races, professions and personal story choices so I could start at launch with a character I’d stick with. It also helps that I’ve been playing RPGs for about 20 years now and I have a fairly good idea of my preferred play-style so I always play roughly the same thing.

Other than narrowing down what you want to do and picking the one that fits it best my advice would be not to worry about it. You can have at least 5 characters, more if you buy extra slots, so you could pick several that you like and just play them all. Overtime you’ll probably find yourself preferring one over the others.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: LetheLuxuria.2641

LetheLuxuria.2641

You are seriously missing out a lot…

Don’t wait any longer, just play SOMETHING. If it doesn’t jive with you, you would have ditched it by now. Just start!

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

http://gw2armorgallery.com/

Look at the different races & thier armor. That should help you decide.

I always pick anything that is not human/normal, so Charr was my 1st pick, Asura, Norn (had to be female, just feels like an amazon/barbaric woman), then sylvari.

All in that order for me. Good luck and get in the game already :P

Posted by: valemiroqi.4309

valemiroqi.4309

Pick a race and class and play. If you don’t like it, you’ll know within the first 20 levels and you’ll be able to leave without too much loss.

Maguuma Server
Malficium-Thief
Xalene-Elementalist

Posted by: Ramiah.5648

Ramiah.5648

I am TOTALLY the same way. I have a tendancy to narrow it down to two choices, at least, but then I can’t decide which to choose. Currently, I haven’t made my main because I want it to be a Charr and a Scholar, and I don’t like elementalist, so Necromancer or Mesmer. But, having made a charr of both, I can’t decide which I want. And, of course, I cannot have two characters of the same race. Why, that would be MADNESS!
So yes I have spent hours (not as many as you though, wow) trying to figure out what I want to play and what race I want it to be… and I still haven’t decided.
Ultimately, what I normally do (when I finally decide I have had enough of my indecisiveness), is let my wants narrow it down, and then logic make the final decision. For example, I had narrowed down my Sylvari to either Guardian or Ranger. After browsing the forums, I realized that Guardian was more rare for sylvari and it was a better starting class because it was more straightforward to play. Additionally, what I wanted to do with Ranger (summon spirits) seems to need a bit of work. Summoning for the Guardian was decent though, so logically, the Guardian was the best choice. And that is what my frist character was.

Thy faithful servant asketh for thy blessing. Honor us with the splendor of thy song.
Protect us… Holy Song!

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

As a gw1 player I was really exited to be playing as an asuran. In the bwe3 (only beta weekend I had access too) it became clear to me that I actually dislike the asuran’s (bunch of irritating wiseguys).
So I created a silvari – elementalist wich I played up till level 50 or so and still really enjoy. due to other reasons however I lost interest for a while and started a human engineer wich I brought to the end of the game at lvl 80. The main reason for picking human then was that i never tried it. It was ment to be a temporary sidestep, but I loved it soo much, I kept on playing her and she ended up as lvl 80 first.

After that I have created a mesmer (human) wich I am now lvl-ing up. The ele is still there at lvl 64 now. I decided to take it slow with her and use her mainly for helping others

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Oscar.4628

Oscar.4628

Well I can give some tips..
- Sylvari necromancer
- Azura engineer or thief
- Norn range
- Human elementalist or mesmer

The first one I said is my favorite ^^

Posted by: Bel Geode.8129

Bel Geode.8129

I have at least one of each race. They all bring something unique to the table. (I have 9 characters total, yes i play them all).

My favorite undoubtedly however is my norn engineer… my main. He is the first I got to level 80. My Asuran is probably the lowest level out of all of them, since I just made him recently.

Find Bel Geode- THE Purple Norn on twitch tv.
“Doing The Dailies " Weeknights at 8PM EST.
http://www.twitch.tv/belgeode

AdamAdamant.7843

at least i got what class i want to level first Thief, and have now lvld two thiefs to lvl 22 and 24 one Human and one Charr. Since i do really like Charr more BUT they look so bad in gear it hurts my eyes compared to human.
I generally never go for humans in any rpgs since i find it quit boring to roleplay something im already playing in real life :P

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

Play an asura and a charr. They have the most enjoyable personal stories. I have a charr guardian, human necro and asura everything else. So I guess I have the opposite problem as you. I like the asura too much to play any other race.

Also, some charr heavy armor is really ugly but some of them are amazingly good. And weapons on your asura will be hard to see because they are so small. Though asura hammer and greatsword animations are great.

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

race wise,took me….5 mins.
Humans= to plain
Charr= any race I can’t figure out a gender with a quick glace is just…weird (and yes I do know the difference…now)
Asura= similar to char
Norn= exotic humans- love the tattoos
sylvari= unique race. and we GLOW!

as for classes. feel around, I when throught all of them on a 2-3 trial period till I found the 1 that clicked.

#ELEtism

AdamAdamant.7843

I keep glaring at these photos:

http://gw2armorgallery.com/armour/charr/charr-medium-stand-duelist-female.jpg

http://gw2armorgallery.com/armour/human/human-medium-stand-duelist-female.jpg

Same armor, i cannot settle my mind >.<

by the way thank you Hebee.8460 for the armory link helps alot