Underwater Damage Seems Very Low

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: The Philosopher.2430

The Philosopher.2430

I have a lvl 62 Elementalist which is the only character I can judge this on which is why I am asking about it but it seems that the damage done underwater makes it un-naturally hard to kill creatures that should be that hard. On my hit average, with a rare “yellow” trident only a few lvls lower than me, seems to be around 40 to 80 depending on the creature and yet they still hit me for an average of anywhere between 400 to 1000 each hit. I have all yellow gear and destroy stuff on land but I get in the water and I am a hopeless low damaging target, and it only seems to be getting worse. As an example I was in Timberline Falls (http://gw2cartographers.com/#/show/1826/) and trying to kill some of the underwater creatures which have regeneration. With just using my trident I literally can not kill them. I will damage them some then boom they regenerate all the health I just took away and even continue to go up in health as I continue to damage them. The only way for me to kill the average creature underwater is to blast it with my arcane spells which do to their delay makes it hard to use them against anything more than a 1 on 1 fight.

I have asked a few people and it seems that casters (people using tridents) seem to have trouble killing monsters 1 on 1 and find it nearly impossible to kill more than one at a time. I have also asked some warriors and hunters and neither of them seem to have to many issues with underwater combat. I know being underwater scales down your damage but I feel there is something amiss with the ratio of damage done vs damage taken, and skill power of creatures vs damage done. I have attacked creatures out of the water with regeneration before and it makes the battle a little harder but not like it is underwater.

Does anyone notice this problem and mainly people that play caster classes, do you notice that the trident doesn’t seem to dish out damage equal to what you would expect.

I am a lvl 62 Elementalist with yellow gear a few lvls lower than me and spec for Precision > Condition Damage > Power. I do great damage for pve unless I enter the dreaded water! Dun dun duunnn!

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I’ve found the Elementalist damage to be fairly low across the board, but in water, it’s almost ineffectual. My other characters seem to be able to operate underwater fairly effectively, and if I’m in Orr with my Ranger, I actually prefer to travel underwater because it’s safer. My Elementalist though — I avoid the water at all costs.

The Philosopher.2430

I’ve found the Elementalist damage to be fairly low across the board, but in water, it’s almost ineffectual. My other characters seem to be able to operate underwater fairly effectively, and if I’m in Orr with my Ranger, I actually prefer to travel underwater because it’s safer. My Elementalist though — I avoid the water at all costs.

So given you said Orr I take it you have a few high (max) lvl characters and have more experience with this issue…. Should this be put in a bug report or something since I agree, with you both on the water issue and the fact that I watch hunters, warriors, and hell even necros just own me in damage. I mean this seems like a balancing issue with Elem but also a major issue with the water battle system for Elem.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

It’s a balancing issue, not a bug, and one that I believe has been very well documented by the community. Make sure to read through the Elementalist forums for greater details.

Yes, I’ve had my Ranger at 80 since the first week, but my Elementalist is only 30 and I only started her last week. But it’s pretty clear already that there is a definite disparity between the two, especially underwater. And my Ranger is hardly a killing machine. Most Warriors out there put my meager damage to shame.

Balancing is not complete. Elementalists need love, but they aren’t the only ones. And compared to Necromancers, they aren’t even the worst off. But here’s a silver lining for your dark cloud — if you get used to playing the way it is now, you’ll probably be laughing at how easy it is, once the issues get ironed out. It’s just going to take a bit more work that other professions won’t be saddled with. But for me, the singular joy of raining fiery death down on my opponents, makes it worth the stretch.

The Philosopher.2430

It’s a balancing issue, not a bug, and one that I believe has been very well documented by the community. Make sure to read through the Elementalist forums for greater details.
Yes, I’ve had my Ranger at 80 since the first week, but my Elementalist is only 30 and I only started her last week. But it’s pretty clear already that there is a definite disparity between the two, especially underwater. And my Ranger is hardly a killing machine. Most Warriors out there put my meager damage to shame.
Balancing is not complete. Elementalists need love, but they aren’t the only ones. And compared to Necromancers, they aren’t even the worst off. But here’s a silver lining for your dark cloud — if you get used to playing the way it is now, you’ll probably be laughing at how easy it is, once the issues get ironed out. It’s just going to take a bit more work that other professions won’t be saddled with. But for me, the singular joy of raining fiery death down on my opponents, makes it worth the stretch.

I agree its not a bug but I figured other than suggestions it wouldnt get to anyone that could change it. haha As for your silver lining, I agree it will kick some majorkitten when they balance them better. As for now… I guess stay out of the water and more kill than run tactics. HAHA!

The Philosopher.2430

I agree its not a bug but I figured other than suggestions it wouldnt get to anyone that could change it. haha As for your silver lining, I agree it will kick some majorkitten when they balance them better. As for now… I guess stay out of the water and more kill than run tactics. HAHA!

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

It is infuriating. I did a DE the other day on my elementalist where Inquest spawned after 3 seconds and I kept getting my backside handed to me because of lack of damage.

The only thing I can do to stay afloat (pun intended) is to rapidly cycle through my attunements and cast everything.

Posted by: NinjaKnight.1340

NinjaKnight.1340

I’m not sure about underwater, but on land a Glass Cannon dual dagger build has incredibly high damage. Very risky build and you have to be moving constantly.

I just tried that out recently after watching a Youtube video and it was extremely fun and I started playing my Ele again.

Posted by: Maverick.6485

Maverick.6485

I personally think ele’s are underwhelming when it comes to damage. Mine is at 80 and I feel underpowered. I don’t have the top #1 tier gear in the game, but anything more than 2 mobs gives me a run for my money in Orr.

NinjaKnight.1340

I personally think ele’s are underwhelming when it comes to damage. Mine is at 80 and I feel underpowered. I don’t have the top #1 tier gear in the game, but anything more than 2 mobs gives me a run for my money in Orr.

Check out the Woodenpotatoes Ele build video on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PKPbboLqzM

He shows how to get almost constant gigantic stack of boons and might. His play skill is well beyond mine but it does show it can be done.

The Philosopher.2430

I’m not sure about underwater, but on land a Glass Cannon dual dagger build has incredibly high damage. Very risky build and you have to be moving constantly.

I just tried that out recently after watching a Youtube video and it was extremely fun and I started playing my Ele again.

Can you post the video, I am not saying it cant be done but I cant see you being able to spec glass cannon build with a fully close range combat cloth wearing class. I see a lot of vit and toughness gear for that which would take away from your main stats you want.

Also… can you actually last against anything more than the average 1 on 1. As a long range glass cannon I can pretty much do the most damage I think an elem can do yet if I get any adds the chances of dying almost become logarithmic. In water… add just means death! lol

NinjaKnight.1340

Can you post the video, I am not saying it cant be done but I cant see you being able to spec glass cannon build with a fully close range combat cloth wearing class. I see a lot of vit and toughness gear for that which would take away from your main stats you want.

Also… can you actually last against anything more than the average 1 on 1. As a long range glass cannon I can pretty much do the most damage I think an elem can do yet if I get any adds the chances of dying almost become logarithmic. In water… add just means death! lol

Here is the link to the video. It is an update to the previous one I linked before.

FYI it is on land not underwater. But it does show how to build a really high damage Ele. Someone may possibly be able to come up with a way to do it with an underwater build.