Unidentified Dyes

Unidentified Dyes

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: cmking.2391

cmking.2391

Is it possible to farm these? I don’t want to pay 17s each for them at the Trading Post, but I find one of the most fun things on this game to be collecting different dyes and customizing my gear!

If you have any suggestions on where I could go, that would be awesome!

Unidentified Dyes

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

I get most of them out of plants. So get yourself a few sickles and just rip out any plant you see. They also drop from random mobs, but very rarely. Good luck! =)

Unidentified Dyes

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

The drop rates on Dyes is just all over the place. Some people will say that you need to farm the lvl 1-15 zones and you’ll see tons of drops. Other people get none in the lower level zones and will say that you need a farming set of gear that is full of +% Magic Find. Truth be told, they’re both right and wrong. Drop rates for these things are just all over the place, so you might get x4 in one serious night of farming and then you might not see one for days.

My suggestion would to be go somewhere where you can hit large numbers of mobs. This could be in Cursed Shore using AoE effects or it could be in the lower level zones. That choice is really up to you. (My vote would be for Cursed Shore since you could also sell the high end crafting components that are dropped from your mob kills. Selling many of those would give you enough money to buy an Unidentified Dye.)

Or on another note, you could join the players who like to farm CoF (Path #1) for cash. It would probably be more cost efficient to just farm cash and then buy up all of the dyes that you need.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

Unidentified Dyes

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Yeah, gathering all plants and just killing mobs is the way to farm, there arent no hotspots to farm these afaik.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Unidentified Dyes

Posted by: Katlyntje.7962

Katlyntje.7962

You’ll probably save money by just buying the color dyes outright rather than playing around with the RNG of the unidentified dye, there are tons of dyes on the TP for less than the 17s of the unidentified one. That said, the unidentified dye is a random drop that you can get from mob drops or from plant (non-tree) harvesting nodes. Sometimes your luck is good, sometimes it isn’t. I personally have been hitting a run of them but I wouldn’t be surprised if that dried up soon.

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. BOOM!

Primary: Gizzmologist Saikka – Asura Engineer

Unidentified Dyes

Meluna.1764

Other people get none in the lower level zones and will say that you need a farming set of gear that is full of +% Magic Find.

MF doesn’t affect gathering nodes. Just mob drops.

I agree that farming is ineffective. In our guild we put opened dyes we don’t need into the guild bank, so we exchange nicely between each other. It keeps the fun of openeing the dyes and is still effective in getting a good sample.

Unidentified Dyes

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

i buy mine with my laurels, ha. made upwards of 180g doing that so far (yes i am lucky)

Unidentified Dyes

Meluna.1764

i buy mine with my laurels, ha. made upwards of 180g doing that so far (yes i am lucky)

So I finally found the one that keeps getting my rare dyes! kitten you, statistics XD

Unidentified Dyes

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Harvesting plants is the best way to get them, but RNG can be a pain. You can also buy Unid Dyes with Laurels from dailies and monthly.

That said, it’s a lot cheaper and easier to buy the dyes you want on the TP. Or you can just buy dyes that are below 1s and then play around to see what looks good. Look here for a list of dyes: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dye

Unidentified Dyes

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Harvesting plants is the best way to get them, but RNG can be a pain. You can also buy Unid Dyes with Laurels from dailies and monthly.

That said, it’s a lot cheaper and easier to buy the dyes you want on the TP. Or you can just buy dyes that are below 1s and then play around to see what looks good. Look here for a list of dyes: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dye

You don’t even need to buy dyes to see what looks good, you can just preview directly from the TP. One thing, the dyes will look different depending on where in the armor they’re applied. There are 4 dye slots in the preview window, corresponding to the up to 4 “color zone” each armor has, if you preview a die, it’ll go to the first slot, you preview again (or preview a second die), it’ll go to the second slot and so on. You can also right click on the slots and remove preview dies from there, so you can create color combinations there and see which dyes you want before buying.

Then again, there’s also the fact that you need 250 unidentified dyes to create the gift of color, needed for the bitfrost legendary staff. That alone is one sure reason why I’d never get it, unidentified dyes are like bubble wrap for me, I just could not have any if then in my inventory without clicking on it.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

Unidentified Dyes

Posted by: Mike.5091

Mike.5091

I’ve got about 40 Unidentified Dyes on my Bank atm, started to gather before Laurels were introduced. I’ve opened many too though as my original plan was to have all colours .. which I realized to be pretty pointless as I use the same 4 or 5 meanwhile and loads just look the same. But they are so temptating when in the inventory :/

When I get U.Dye I usually get 3-5 in short time and then none for an even longer time.

I was gonna suggest to buy then with Laurels, too. I’ve been thinking about doing that with my (to this moment) 100 Laurels. Problem is I’m slowly aiming for the Bifrost .. if bought now I’m sure one frustrated day I’d open ’em all.