Unsure on Which Class to play out of 3

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

So, i’m looking to start up an alt, with the elements of being fast, somewhat sneaky and quick at taking out a class. Because of this, i feel the best class is going to be the thief, but i’ve also contemplated on playing the ranger or necromancer also, but because it’s so easy to feel peer pressured on the internet, especially when choosing a character is involved, seeing a chunk of people complain about how poorly their class performs, pushes you away from playing said class.

I know i’m asking for too much to be able to solo with the said class that is able to both be sneaky and a fairly good solo’er, with all that said however, out of the 3 classes i have listed, would everyone suggest i just stick with a thief?

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Uhm…so you would like to solo PvE? Or WvW? Or are you looking into sPvP?

Sneaky reeks of thief, being the only one with reliable access to stealth of those you named, but the ranger does have flanking attacks, too. Genreally, I find Ranger and Necromancer much more solo-friendly than Thief, but that might be just me. Playing thief is tremendously fun, but my survivability is far superior on ranger and necro.

How do you define “sneaky”, anyway?

Polka will never die

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Mostly Solo PVE & some WvW action, i’d say i’d define sneaky as being the type of person who sneaks around the back, takes someone out, retreats then slowly inches forward to do the same again, hence the reason why i bought up both necromancer and rangers, being able to take out a target from a distance feels a lot safer than running up to the target amongst a zerg

Posted by: Pinder.5261

Pinder.5261

Thieves have quite a few ways to battle at range, you’d have no problem there. Of the three classes they are, by far, the sneakiest. Also, they are by far the most single-target-burst-damage oriented. Ranger can get in on that a little bit, but the pet makes it difficult to sneak anywhere.. And the Necro is all about attrition, they don’t have much in the way of swiftly taking out an opponent. So it looks like the Thief is your best bet.

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Just what i was looking for, thanks guys.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

…thief is still most effective at taking out a target quickly when getting into melee range You might feel overwhelmed by crowds though, if you’re not careful.

Polka will never die

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

DaggerDagger – Shortbow condition Thief here, I have no problem taking on groups (of mobs, not players, that’s a whole different scenario) and if the kitten hits the fan, I can fall back on my trusty steath and gtfo.

Because of that unique ability that other classes do not have, it is my chosen profession to farm crafting materials (ores, wood and food stuffs) and do my 100% map completion. There is nothing in the world more satisfying to a Thief then to run up to a commune skill point challenge that is guarded by a veteran and his cronies and hit shadow refuge, get my skill point and teleport out to the closest way point or simply walk through the gang of baddies while giggling to myself from the pure feeling of awesome that the Thief profession is.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I have not played ranger a great deal, so cannot really comment on how well it will perform solo or in WvW, but so far it feels ok. Necromancer can be quite good solo (I have soloed all areas so far, but am only lvl 38), and has good survivability when built right. Unfortunately, I haven’t done any WvW with my necro yet, so cannot comment on that. That said, I would not really call either ranger or necro ‘sneaky’.

If you want a profession that excels at being sneaky, then the only choice for you is the Thief. My main is a DD/SB condition thief and I soloed all my personal story (apart from the dungeon of course) and can solo every area in PvE without a problem. I have also been very successful in WvW, I have won most 1v1 fights and am able to cover ground very quickly (for scouting or escaping). So with the right build (providing it suits your playstyle (very important that)) the thief can do all the things you require.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.